1974 Duster drilled and slotted rotor question

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
Do drilled and slotted rotors make a difference in stopping power for street use, are they worth investment.
They look really cool, if they offer a benefit then it would be worth the investment for me but it’s not all about the look.

All the companies that sell them say yes. :p

If you go back in history to look at the origins in racing, you'll find these were done to deal with specific situations. It was a tradeoff and the rotors were frequently replaced because any discontinuity creates a stress area.

It’s unlikely that they’d get hot enough during regular street use to be a big improvement. Drilled rotors can be more prone to cracking at the holes, but that does depend on how the rotors are manufactured.

So yeah, you’re not likely to notice a difference either way.

Mine were a huge step up from the factory drums so I can't say but the look is worth the money IMO.

10247442_10204960777208567_5789213035223384309_n.jpg

If you drive like a little old lady you probably will not notice. If you drive harder on the street you will notice a slight improvement. And your brake pads might wear out quicker.

I would say out of probably a hundred drilled rotors I've had on cars over the years, I've only had one crack. It was a new rotor, new pads and I ran it hard on a road course, parked, jumped out and heard a distinct meta "ping" noise. I checked the rotor with a quick visual and didn't see a crack. No more than I drove it again you could feel it. It broke behind the pads. So it's not really common to have them crack.

If you drive like a little old lady, drum brakes will work fine. If you drive like a little old lady and have 6 piston calipers you just want people to look at your car.

-
Back