1974 Duster Duck Wing...

-

DaWeezzz!!!

Reaction score
I'm so glad I didn't buy this Duster Duck Wing off eBay last week. After saving the pictures of the duck wing on my computer and taking a closer look. This wing is " Hand Laid Fiberglass", has waves, and is hollow. Does not look like good quality for the price $180 plus shipping! Has anyone here had any luck with it? Gonna order the Go Wing instead. Thanks...

Alec

Duster Duck Wing 00.png

Duster Duck Wing 02.png

Duster Duck Wing 03.png

Duster Duck Wing 04.jpg

Duster Duck Wing 05.jpg

Duster Duck Wing 06.jpg

Duster Duck Wing 07.jpg

Duster Duck Wing 08.jpg

Ummm? That’s how the DirectConnection spoilers were. Why would you want a solid spoiler back there? Hollow is lighter. Otherwise if it were solid it weight like 25 lbs.

My preference is the Gull wing. I have had several of the Duck tail style and didn't like them. I think the Go-wing looks like a 69 ford wanna-be.

Last edited:
Ummm? That’s how the DirectConnection spoilers were. Why would you want a solid spoiler back there? Hollow is lighter. Otherwise if it were solid it weight like 25 lbs.
I didn't know they were hollow. There really is no bottom support, just the 20 screws that bolt it down. Thought there would be some cross strip support, WHILE REMAINING HOLLOW. Who would want a 25 lbs rear wing? The trunk lid would slam closed all the time if it weighed that much....

I never was a fan of drilling unnecessary holes in the body unless it would allow me to go faster or handle better. Front spoiler maybe, rear spoiler nah.

I didn't know they were hollow. There really is no bottom support, just the 20 screws that bolt it down. Thought there would be some cross strip support, WHILE REMAINING HOLLOW. Who would want a 25 lbs rear wing? The trunk lid would slam closed all the time if it weighed that much....
Yea! Either you like that 70’s road car look or you don’t. I’ve had both over the years. The duck bill spoiler by DCC is awesome. Never had any issues with loosing up or leaks as long as you seal the screws with sealer. Again it’s looks only. I think the Gull wing Mach 1 spoiler is better for true down force working with you effect. I’ve yet to read any article about the effects of either on a car in motion.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this Duster Duck Wing off eBay last week. After saving the pictures of the duck wing on my computer and taking a closer look. This wing is " Hand Laid Fiberglass", has waves, and is hollow. Does not look like good quality for the price $180 plus shipping! Has anyone here had any luck with it? Gonna order the Go Wing instead. Thanks...

Alec

View attachment 1715575147

View attachment 1715575148

View attachment 1715575149

View attachment 1715575150

View attachment 1715575151

View attachment 1715575152

View attachment 1715575153

View attachment 1715575154

They’re ALL hollow, it’s how they were made.

This is actually the best version currently being made. The original Direct Connection spoilers were just thin ABS, they were supposed to be installed with plastic push rivets.

I have one of these, as well as an original DC spoiler and one made by MAS fiberglass. The one made by MAS is probably the best, I prefer that one even to the originals but MAS is out of business and that version is harder to find than the originals.

The showcars version you linked is pretty good. It would take a little bit of bodywork if you wanted it to look super clean, but again, the originals don’t have perfect bodywork as they can have waves and warps being thin ABS. The only “issue” with the showcars reproduction is he ended the mold a little early on the ends, so the short edges are more vertical than the originals which results in the showcars spoiler leaving a smidge more trunk lid showing on the ends. It’s a small amount and would be easy to fix with a little fiberglass to finish the tapered edge.

All fiberglass parts take a little bodywork. But the DC spoilers are getting hard to find, and usually they’re cracked in the mounting pockets because they get mounted with screws and over tightened.

As for down force, I’d bet on the DC spoiler over the gull wing. A spoiler doesn’t have to be 50 lbs to work, it’s just about redirecting air flow. At the tail of the car a small change in flow can make a big difference in down force. I read somewhere that DC did some informal testing at a road course comparing a car without a spoiler to one with the DC spoiler and the result was a higher straightaway speed with the spoiler. But I can’t find the source for that and it didn’t really include any “data” so it’s a crap shoot. Based on the body lines of the car in general a ducktail style spoiler should be effective, but the devils in the details.

Last edited:
Yea! Either you like that 70’s road car look or you don’t. I’ve had both over the years. The duck bill spoiler by DCC is awesome. Never had any issues with loosing up or leaks as long as you seal the screws with sealer. Again it’s looks only. I think the Gull wing Mach 1 spoiler is better for true down force working with you effect. I’ve yet to read any article about the effects of either on a car in motion.

The gull wing is mopar only style. The go wing is a ford look alike. The duck tails look OK if you are not concerned about all the holes in the . I had several on cars that I bought they are good sellers for the ribbed decklid cars. Not for the flat lids.

This is the year they belong on.

DSCF2982[1].jpg

DSCF2984[1].jpg

DSCF2985[1].jpg

DSCF3002.JPG

DSCF3003.JPG

The gull wing is mopar only style. The go wing is a ford look alike. The duck tails look OK if you are not concerned about all the holes in the . I had several on cars that I bought they are good sellers for the ribbed decklid cars. Not for the flat lids.

This is the year they belong on.

View attachment 1715575331

View attachment 1715575332

View attachment 1715575333

View attachment 1715575334

View attachment 1715575335
You duster look great with the Duck Wing. Your pictures are the reason I really wanted it. Just don't care for the screws. Guess I could use filler to hide them. Thanks for the pictures....

Alec

Orange is Gull wing, Blue is Go wing. Easy to remember the gull wing resembles a seagull wing. Notice the gull wing matches the roof line and rear window and also the tail panel points on the Duster Demon body. the go wing fits more on a swinger , super bee and Road runner in 70. I like the gull wing on the 71 72 Road runner also.

The gull wing goes better with the Fuselage bodies in 71 and up cars . 70 Duster was the start of these bodies

If you look at the orange road runner wing you'll see it is more flat from side to side. That is an aftermarket wing they even get flatter and sag after some time in the sun. After owning both you can see the difference pretty easy. But if you want one that is all that is usually out there. Go wings are the sam,e way the originals are arked . Some of the after market Go wings don't have the correct pedestal spread. I have one here right now came on this cuda trunk lid . I can measure the difference if someone wants to know . I have several gull wings . And no they are not for sale

228861_5d1f952224_low_res.jpg

228862_8ed3ee5a61_low_res.jpg

100_0016.JPG

106_0608.JPG

106_0609.JPG

Orange is Gull wing, Blue is Go wing. Easy to remember the gull wing resembles a seagull wing. Notice the gull wing matches the roof line and rear window and also the tail panel points on the Duster Demon body. the go wing fits more on a swinger , super bee and Road runner in 70. I like the gull wing on the 71 72 Road runner also.

The gull wing goes better with the Fuselage bodies in 71 and up cars . 70 Duster was the start of these bodies

If you look at the orange road runner wing you'll see it is more flat from side to side. That is an aftermarket wing they even get flatter and sag after some time in the sun. After owning both you can see the difference pretty easy. But if you want one that is all that is usually out there. Go wings are the sam,e way the originals are arked . Some of the after market Go wings don't have the correct pedestal spread. I have one here right now came on this cuda trunk lid . I can measure the difference if someone wants to know . I have several gull wings . And no they are not for sale

View attachment 1715575583

View attachment 1715575584

View attachment 1715575592

View attachment 1715575593

View attachment 1715575594
Thanks for the info OldManMopar....

Alec

I have names for all three of those wings but Mom said if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all LOL...
No problem, someone else named the 3 wings. Their mother said it was ok it say whatever you want. Good Luck....

No problem, someone else named the 3 wings. Their mother said it was ok it say whatever you want. Good Luck....
Oh good so you can handle the truth...
The first one on the yellow car is called ridiculous..
The second one on the orange car is called holy cow I finally found the guy who stole that stupid wing off My sons Honda...
And the third one on the blue car is called why in the hell did I spend my money on this thing it looks goofy as hell and I could have bought something that made my car look good or go faster or perform better....
Appreciate the luck but I prefer skill....

Oh good so you can handle the truth...
The first one on the yellow car is called ridiculous..
The second one on the orange car is called holy cow I finally found the guy who stole that stupid wing off My sons Honda...
And the third one on the blue car is called why in the hell did I spend my money on this thing it looks goofy as hell and I could have bought something that made my car look good or go faster or perform better....
Appreciate the luck but I prefer skill....
Dude, you got issue! But thanks for the lame story you wrote. LOL!!!

Dude, you got issue! But thanks for the lame story you wrote. LOL!!!
It doesn't have anything to do with issues it's just personal taste and if I was to do one of those wings I would do the one you're talking about not an actual wing but an air-dam...
You've been on this forum less than a month and you're calling people a dude and lame.. I said I didn't want to say anything because it wasn't nice and you called me out about it so I said something... You don't need be an internet hero and call people names...

-
Back