[WANTED] 1974 Duster power brake master cylinder push rod needed.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiser

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for the pushrod inside the vacuum booster of my 1974 Duster (factory power disc brakes) that fits into the back of the master cylinder when the MC is assembled onto the vacuum booster. I broke the end off my rod trying to adjust it for length. If you do have one, please ensure that the adjustment nut at the front tip is free to thread in and out. Thanks!

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

Looking for the pushrod inside the vacuum booster of my 1974 Duster (factory power disc brakes) that fits into the back of the master cylinder when the MC is assembled onto the vacuum booster. I broke the end off my rod trying to adjust it for length. If you do have one, please ensure that the adjustment nut at the front tip is free to thread in and out. Thanks!

View attachment 1715969135

View attachment 1715969136
I’ve got a 74 swinger with power brakes that I will be converting to manual. This is behind the master cylinder? What’s it worth to you? I won’t need it, but if I pull it for you I won’t have brakes! Willing to trade for a manual brake rod if you have it.

I’ve got a 74 swinger with power brakes that I will be converting to manual. This is behind the master cylinder? What’s it worth to you? I won’t need it, but if I pull it for you I won’t have brakes! Willing to trade for a manual brake rod if you have it.
Yes, this is the rod behind the master cylinder that also projects into the brake vacuum booster. It should look exactly like the one in the first picture above, but without the tip broken off. Sorry, I don't have one to trade but I am looking to buy one from someone. Thanks.

Yes, this is the rod behind the master cylinder that also projects into the brake vacuum booster. It should look exactly like the one in the first picture above, but without the tip broken off. Sorry, I don't have one to trade but I am looking to buy one from someone. Thanks.

I’ll pull it for $50 shipped

I’ll pull it for $50 shipped
Would you be able to send me a photo of it, if it's not too much trouble. I want to be sure that it's the right one for my car, and also that the nut at the forward end can be adjusted in and out. Thanks - cruiser

Would you be able to send me a photo of it, if it's not too much trouble. I want to be sure that it's the right one for my car, and also that the nut at the forward end can be adjusted in and out. Thanks - cruiser
Definitely, I’ll crack into it tonight. Any tips for removing it?

Definitely, I’ll crack into it tonight. Any tips for removing it?
This rod is very easy to remove. First, remove the master cylinder and you'll see it hanging there, sticking out of the vacuum booster. Then simply pull the spacer off that goes between the master cylinder and the booster. The rod can then be extracted. It should look exactly like the one in the photo above. The big thing is to ensure that the nut at the end can be screwed in and out. Without this adjustability, the rod cannot be reinstalled onto another master cylinder. The nut on mine was frozen and broke off when I put too much torque on it. Maybe heating it up with a torch would have helped loosen the nut. Good luck!

This rod is very easy to remove. First, remove the master cylinder and you'll see it hanging there, sticking out of the vacuum booster. Then simply pull the spacer off that goes between the master cylinder and the booster. The rod can then be extracted. It should look exactly like the one in the photo above. The big thing is to ensure that the nut at the end can be screwed in and out. Without this adjustability, the rod cannot be reinstalled onto another master cylinder. The nut on mine was frozen and broke off when I put too much torque on it. Maybe heating it up with a torch would have helped loosen the nut. Good luck!

B7BE56A4-3E1F-4F6D-BD62-42F2262D7223.jpeg

Nirvana - bad news. The rod you pulled won't work in my car, unfortunately. My rod has a wide flared collar around it, as seen in the photo above. This collar is what the vacuum diaphram in the booster pushed on. Without it, there would be no power assist for my braking. There were two manufacturers of brake boosters back then: Midland and Bendix. I think we might have boosters from different manufacturers. I really appreciate all the work pulling it, bit I have to make sure that my car will stop correctly so I'll keep looking. Again, thanks very much for checking!

Nirvana - bad news. The rod you pulled won't work in my car, unfortunately. My rod has a wide flared collar around it, as seen in the photo above. This collar is what the vacuum diaphram in the booster pushed on. Without it, there would be no power assist for my braking. There were two manufacturers of brake boosters back then: Midland and Bendix. I think we might have boosters from different manufacturers. I really appreciate all the work pulling it, bit I have to make sure that my car will stop correctly so I'll keep looking. Again, thanks very much for checking!
You mean this collar? I just didn’t include it in the first pic because Inhad just pulled it.

1478FA85-54C5-484C-B9E9-22D2AE81D89F.jpeg

You mean this collar? I just didn’t include it in the first pic because Inhad just pulled it.

View attachment 1715969309
Thanks for the updated photo. It looks like the collar on your shaft is closer to the end than mine. My collar is 1 9/16" from the diaphram (rear) end of the rod. I think this measurement is critical for the proper operation of the brakes. What is this measurement on your rod? Is this collar adjustable for the length of the rod, or is it fixed in its place?

Thanks for the updated photo. It looks like the collar on your shaft is closer to the end than mine. My collar is 1 9/16" from the diaphram (rear) end of the rod. I think this measurement is critical for the proper operation of the brakes. What is this measurement on your rod? Is this collar adjustable for the length of the rod, or is it fixed in its place?
I just took a bunch of pictures

C3D0E868-EB98-4007-BEF5-75AB6FEF81C9.jpeg

DA6E698F-4083-4D81-A660-D35B57E80756.jpeg

E4238702-0372-4938-8349-41643BF15025.jpeg

F4110677-2476-4D9C-824A-A51662D1C197.jpeg

F410A714-63B9-459D-987F-CB37D2893E2A.jpeg

3E1E6E6C-71F5-4184-8E94-A5C128E30643.jpeg

55A409BB-BB7E-4B71-9130-DC0D910E26C4.jpeg

E455E1DB-8375-40D2-A311-E26E53F4325E.jpeg

757DEE5C-E2FC-4FE7-A5B7-28D3C8BD47EF.jpeg

They look very similar, I don’t know enough about power brake systems to know if it will work. I honestly don’t care either way, I was just trying to help you out, and I was going to pull the PB anyway.

DE3B0FB5-F59E-492C-94B0-580D51F019E2.jpeg

B7202691-6B9D-4F49-9C17-D85FA58AF09D.jpeg

Nirvana - It doesn't look exactly right, but I might be able to adapt it to my car. If we do $50.00 shipped, would you also be able to throw in the two piece spacer set shown at the bottom of the last photo you sent? One piece of the spacer is metal and the other is black plastic. So it is $50.00 for all three pieces (rod and two piece spacer). Please let me know - thanks.

Nirvana - It doesn't look exactly right, but I might be able to adapt it to my car. If we do $50.00 shipped, would you also be able to throw in the two piece spacer set shown at the bottom of the last photo you sent? One piece of the spacer is metal and the other is black plastic. So it is $50.00 for all three pieces (rod and two piece spacer). Please let me know - thanks.

Yep,that works for me. Shoot me a message with your info.

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back