Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Ok so I figured out the 4 barrel air cleaner on the 74 A-body 360 had the rounded flair on the snorkel
IMG_6022.JPG

I have the correct pie pan and lid and a snorkel that is too long, but it has the correct flared opening
IMG_6020.JPG

So I'll need to cut the snorkel down to the proper length, then modify the opening in the pie pan to receive the shortened snorkel. I may get lucky and the shorter snorkel may just slip inside the opening instead of sliding over the tabs as it does now. Will not be utilizing the heat stove. The flap is removed and the opening where the stove connects to the snorkel will just allow more air in as will the two 2-1/2" holes I'll be drilling in the back of the pie pan that faces the dizzy

IMG_5477.JPG

Going to show my 318 pride with one of these Astralian Penta-star 318 Four Barrel air cleaner decals. The guy at the company in Australia that sells these told me that the 318 was the only V8 4 barrel offered there back in the day.

Last edited:
Removed and cut down the snorkel. This looks much more like what it's supposed to be.
Next I'll tack it in place
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG

Frankensnorkel.
Snorkel fit inside of the opening pretty nice. Held it in place with 6 little stitch welds. I used 3M paintable marine sealant to finish it rather than going through the brain damage of body filler. When this dries for 24 hours it can be sanded then skimmed if need be. I think this air cleaner is going to be good for my purposes:rolleyes: A little putty and a little paint will make it what it ain't.
Thanks to @JDMopar for donating the snorkel.
IMG_6049.JPG

Last edited:
That turned out nice. I'm glad you could use it, and it is now serving a purpose other than being a dust collector on my shelf. :thumbsup:
It's about 3/4" longer than it's supposed to be, but still has the look and feel of the Four Barrel air cleaner housing of the '74 model year. Thanks again, It only took me about 2 years to get around to using it!

Warm enough outside to break out the Rustoleum today. Did the wheels in semi gloss. I want to see the sheen when they are dry. If it's has more shine then my side stripes I'll recoat them with Matt finish. The air cleaner looks good. I'll sand the lid with 320 and recoat it but I think the rest of the housing is ok with the 2 coats I put on. Cooking everything with the big lamps.
IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6056.JPG

I pulled out the steering column I converted to a floor shift style today. I have decided to keep the car a column shift car and I have a replacement being shipped to me. Floor shift would just be too weird with a bench seat since I had time to think about it.
I have also decided to go with the Lokar throttle cable and kick down set up, so I pulled on the factory cable and bracket for the factory kick down.
The paint on the cop wheels was too glossy so I used satin finish black as the last coat.
I also am second guessing the air cleaner being finished in the Hemi Orange. I stuck it in the car to check it out and it bugs me that it clashes so bad with the Rallye Red. Think it needs to be black. Any opinions are appreciated.
IMG_6058.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG

I pulled out the steering column I converted to a floor shift style today. I have decided to keep the car a column shift car and I have a replacement being shipped to me. Floor shift would just be too weird with a bench seat since I had time to think about it.
I have also decided to go with the Lokar throttle cable and kick down set up, so I pulled on the factory cable and bracket for the factory kick down.
The paint on the cop wheels was too glossy so I used satin finish black as the last coat.
I also am second guessing the air cleaner being finished in the Hemi Orange. I stuck it in the car to check it out and it bugs me that it clashes so bad with the Rallye Red. Think it needs to be black. Any opinions are appreciated.
View attachment 1715017385 View attachment 1715017386
I think the orange will be fine. Once you get everything in the engine bay it won't stand out as much.

Agree. You are going to have a lot of hoses and whatnot in there. Maybe shoot the center piece black or the rings black and get a decal for the center to break it up.

I am not going to agree with the bench seat floor shifter, but my reason for doing it had more to do with linkage issues, a big motor, different trans, headers, etc.

Don't over think it. It is supposed to be fun!

I am a fan of the orange air cleaner AND the snorkis mod....looks factory 70s. I don't know who or why Chrysler had the color combos they did back then....I guess it went with our clothes.

I think the orange looks fine, but your opinion is the one that matters most. If you're a fan of the wrinkle finish black, I've had good success using the wrinkle black from the Harley shop.

All good points. Orange it is.

Wanted to get working on sanding and painting the cop wheels that came on the car so took the 2 I had done to the tire shop and had the tires swapped onto the newly painted rims. Now I can work on the other pair. Here is a preview of Misty's new bad *** looking wheels. Thanks for the great advice @AlV you were totally spot on. I think this low budget project is going to be alright...
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6070.JPG
IMG_6071.JPG
IMG_6072.JPG

Had some time after enjoying the great dinner my wife made to go back out and mount up my real voltage regulator, fake ballast resistor and hollowed out Mopar ignition box with the HEI module inside.
IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6084.JPG

So I am off to Scottsdale AZ for a business conference. Bringing the whole family. Heading out Flagstaff to see the Grand Canyon for a day and then to Sedona for a day and back to Scottsdale for the conference till Thursday. When I return my steering column will be here as will be my air cleaner decal and exhaust manifold hardware.
Does anyone have experience with mounting a tuff wheel to an a-body column? My wife got me a nice tuff wheel 2 Christmas's ago but there was nothing in the Summit Racing box but the wheel and the horn button. I imagine there is some kind of kit to make it work.

Because the Tuff wheel is shallow, you will need a Tuff wheel adapter /extension.(try e bay....this is a Mopar piece, not a generic part) Regardless that the steering wheel is a ways away from you, without the adapter the wheel was too close or might have even interfered with the turn signal.

I also bought their recommended horn hardware kit.....but only used a couple of small items from it.

Because the Tuff wheel is shallow, you will need a Tuff wheel adapter /extension.(try e bay....this is a Mopar piece, not a generic part) Regardless that the steering wheel is a ways away from you, without the adapter the wheel was too close or might have even interfered with the turn signal.

I also bought their recommended horn hardware kit.....but only used a couple of small items from it.

:thankyou:That wheel is far off for sure but a guy can dream can't he? lol...

It will make a nice rainy day project.....the horn install is the only PIA. It's like trying to assemble an outdoor gas grille made in China with hardware from 2 different grilles.

It will make a nice rainy day project.....the horn install is the only PIA. It's like trying to assemble an outdoor gas grille made in China with hardware from 2 different grilles.

I need to do the usual rehab on the new column I have inbound too. I don't know what I was thinking when I cut the original column shift and gear indicator off and converted it to floor shift. I was definitely thinking like that impulsive kid I was back in 1976. :BangHead:
The whole idea of this project is to get it right (or better) this time around.

Arizona was great!
As I thought, I had packages waiting for me. The steering column is ugly but solid, and I can fix that. Note the inappropriate masons hammer! I love hammers!!
nsc.jpg

I got the 318 FOUR BARREL decal I have been waiting for. The orange paint I used is a nice match to the orange on the decal. Here is a pic with it just sitting on the air cleaner lid to check out the color.
acl.jpg

I have seen air cleaner pics with a more red-orange color that look good too. Not going to stick the decal til I'm sure. You can see in this pic that the air cleaner housing is more red than the orange on the decal...
stock.JPG

Last edited:
I de crusted my new column tonight. I don't remember how this spring goes in since it was forever ago when I took mine out. Can anyone esplain it to me?
IMG_6201.JPG

-
Back