Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
The old girl can growl as much as she likes, I'll still be able to hear the radio...
IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

I'm wondering what sealant to use on the radiator drain plugs and in the exhaust manifold studs. Also, just use the gasket on the thermostat housing or use a sealant with it?

For the sealant on the plugs and manifold studs, just use liquid teflon pipe dope.
Use a gasket on the thermostat housing, and lightly coat each side with permatex, just a thin light coat spread evenly with your fingers.

Also I used the TTI flange pipes on my manifolds, they fit great and hooked them up to summits 2.5 duel exhaust kit.
I only had to buy a small straight section and added a extra set of header flanges to hook everything up, it came out nice.

For the sealant on the plugs and manifold studs, just use liquid teflon pipe dope.
Use a gasket on the thermostat housing, and lightly coat each side with permatex, just a thin light coat spread evenly with your fingers.

Also I used the TTI flange pipes on my manifolds, they fit great and hooked them up to summits 2.5 duel exhaust kit.
I only had to buy a small straight section and added a extra set of header flanges to hook everything up, it came out nice.

I ordered the TTI pipes today through Robs Rod Shop in Pennsylvania. Super nice people! Then I ordered the Jegs 2-1/2" pipe only kit and at my sons urging after we listened to a half dozen 318 and muffler combos on YouTube, I ordered 2 Thrush Dynomax 17656 welded mufflers. They sound pretty close to what I had on my fish back in the day as best I can recall.
Then to top off the drunken sailor spending spree, I had Rockauto send me a new brake booster/master cylinder combo.
:rolleyes:

It wasn't easy to find someone to machine these rotors and drums. It's a dying craft for sure. JTL Automotive in Keyport for any Jersey guys.
IMG_6323.JPG

I left one side together so I have a reference. Little pieces parts
:steering:
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG

As it turns out, I'm feeling good about getting the brakes done. It's all coming back to me now. Tomorrow I'll need to get the old connection where the front hoses meet the line apart and clean up the backing plates.
IMG_6336.JPG

This car had the brakes and front suspension done by the PO just prior to the motor blowing, so it's always been my plan to scrub, clean and paint the suspension and actually drive it to see what I have. The suspension is solid when you grab it and shake it.
The idea of removing the suspension to do the bushings etc makes me feel like I need to puke. That **** looks like it's one giant pain in the nuts to do. I see guys do it all the time but it freaks me out. I'd rather cut my ears off with rusty scissors. :realcrazy:

Last edited:
Are you replacing the brake hoses? - highly recommend do that. I think you said you have new tubes?
As for the suspension..I kinda enjoyed doing mine. LOL But, if your info is accurate that could be a REALLY good thing. How old would those parts be? Very possible they are US made Moog. Last few years seems like all going to China, Mexico.. including MOOG. My kit came with McQuay Norris. Some showed USA. From what I read, probably not as good as OLD Moog, but not seeing anything bad about them.

Are you replacing the brake hoses? - highly recommend do that. I think you said you have new tubes?
As for the suspension..I kinda enjoyed doing mine. LOL But, if your info is accurate that could be a REALLY good thing. How old would those parts be? Very possible they are US made Moog. Last few years seems like all going to China, Mexico.. including MOOG. My kit came with McQuay Norris. Some showed USA. From what I read, probably not as good as OLD Moog, but not seeing anything bad about them.
]
All brake components will be new. What I meant was I need to break the connection where the old hose and line meet at the bracket that is fastened to the frame. To facilitate things I just cut the off on each side of the bracket prior to body work. I would say the front end parts are at least 10 years old but from what I know, they only have a few hundred miles on them and they have been indoors for the past six years...

I ran around this morning getting odds and ends for Misty. I wanted to clean and paint the wheel houses and the suspension before I finished up the brake lines. I gave everything a bath in brakeclean then went to town with black Rustoleum and a brush. The original undercoating is rock solid with no rust and it looks good and fresh in black. The front and back suspension also are looking fresh and clean. Misty has a fully painted underside and I have determined I have a couple screws loose because I like to slither around on my back painting the underside of this cool
old car....
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6345.JPG
IMG_6349.JPG

Nice job. If you have a concern about the suspension I would recommend you get it aligned once you have it moving. Those guys can tell you if you have parts that need help. My 74 rides like it is on air and I don't regret doing it. Stopping is good so I only echo the sentiment that if it looks bad, it is, replace it. My power steering gearbox looked fine in the Demon, cleaned it, primed it, painted it, then ran power steering to it and it leaked like crazy. Had to jake the motor up to get it out to Firm Feel. Pain....learning, I test everything. Blower motor, wiper motor...you name it.

Today I got shipping confirmation on the TTI down pipes I ordered. The Jegs exhaust kit and the Thrush welded mufflers arrived today. These mufflers are crazy solid and the welds are very precise IMHO. I have only heard them on YouTube and I loved them. Looking for their distinct sound. My son wasn't taking no for an answer on this selection.
IMG_6369.JPG

I've had so many parts arrive in the past 10 days it's mind boggleing (at least for me). Brake booster and master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake pads, shoes, hardware, hoses. Fan spacer, neutral safety switch plug, Mopar priming shaft, pump to carb fuel line and gauge. Battery tie down vacuum canister and lines, charcoal canister, cooling hoses and front tires.
This is getting exciting!!

Is that a light I see at the end of that tunnel?

IMHO........outstanding job.

My trans cooler lines arrived today. I also continued my purchasing bender by ordering my front tires, Lokar throttle and kickdown set up and my headliner.
Putting my middle son to work sanding the front wheels, and I'll be bolting stuff together like a crazy man.
IMG_6372.JPG

Love the way those thrush mufflers look
They look and feel sturdy as hell. This car had flowmasters hanging on by a thread under it. I remember wondering at that time if they still made Thrush mufflers. When I was getting ready to buy an exhaust, I read the Jegs kit was good but their mufflers where crimmped not welded. A few people suggested listening to some stuff on YouTube. We did and my son was determined we choose Thrush. They just sound like what hotrods used to sound like when I was a kid...

View attachment 1715029468

@AlV came over and did my rear brakes! I have no brake tools, just a neanderthal screwdriver, pliers and knockoff harbor freight long nose vice grips. He went to town and got em done!

2 new 215/70/R15 Cooper Cobras for Misty's front axle arrived today!
Aaron better get those front Cop Wheels sanded...
IMG_6405.JPG

-
Back