Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
:poke:Look how nice they fit...lol
IMG_6409.JPG

These are 1.3" taller than the 245/60/14 that the PO had on the front of the car. So the radius is .65" larger than what was there, yet this tire is 1.1" more narrow. The old tire cleared the front of the fender by nearly 2" when turned in either direction. I don't know how the backset of the cop wheels will effect the combo, but I think I'll be good...
compare.png

I say that because I had trouble years ago with a size similar to that. Trying to help you avoid problems.

I say that because I had trouble years ago with a size similar to that. Trying to help you avoid problems.
Thanks. My son says send em back and get the same outer dimension as the PO was running but for a 15" wheel

Thanks. My son says send em back and get the same outer dimension as the PO was running but for a 15" wheel
If they have it in the 65 series (215 65 15) it will knock off about an inch of diameter. That would make it same as my 215 70 14s (all 4). They clear fine, and from other threads I have read is about the largest most people will run on front of duster. What are you running on back? I would not want anything taller on front than back. If anything maybe just slightly the other way around.

If they have it in the 65 series (215 65 15) it will knock off about an inch of diameter. That would make it same as my 215 70 14s (all 4). They clear fine, and from other threads I have read is about the largest most people will run on front of duster. What are you running on back? I would not want anything taller on front than back. If anything maybe just slightly the other way around.
This is what was on it when i got it:
asis.png

This is what I ordered and I agree the front tire is too tall:
this is what was shipped.png

This is what you suggest Keith:
keith suggestion.png

But I dont see why this wont work because its so close to what I have on there now:
why not.png

What do you think @TF360

I personally like the looks of a skinny tire on the front. Like a 185 or 195. But it all depends on the look your going for. My problem is finding a tire as close to an old L60-14" tire as I can for the rear.

I personally like the looks of a skinny tire on the front. Like a 185 or 195. But it all depends on the look your going for. My problem is finding a tire as close to an old L60-14" tire as I can for the rear.
Another thing I need to keep in mind is the cop wheels are 8" wide so I can't get too skinny on the front... That 235/60/15 would only be a half inch taller than this.
7.JPG

I think @
Yes true. Cant go to skinny with an 8" rim
The wheels may be 7" Anyway @72bluNblu says I may be able to get the 235/60/15 on there. I can't imagine it will be an issue since the 245/60/14 are only 1/2" shorter and they are .3" wider but they are on stock Rallyes. I think I need to try. I like the way the wide tire looks up front.
widefront.JPG

This is what was on it when i got it:
View attachment 1715030729
This is what I ordered and I agree the front tire is too tall:
View attachment 1715030730
This is what you suggest Keith:
View attachment 1715030731
But I dont see why this wont work because its so close to what I have on there now:
View attachment 1715030732
What do you think @TF360
If its actually 8" inside the lip where the tire sits, that looks to be the smallest recommended. The one I am suggesting is good to 7.5. 235 60 looks wide to me for front, but I don't know how much is too much.
Cooper Cobra Radial GT Tires

Too Much is never too much, just get a bigger hammer or a sawzall
:mob:
Your ride, your choice. I'd look around the wheels and tires thread and see if anyone running that size. Or just search the site for that size and see if any comments. The 2 things I would question is will it rub (allow for full bounce, movement etc) and is there any issue with steering?

My vote 215/70/15...second picture second tire...but I like narrow up front, wide in the back...kinda like junk in the trunk...big booty that's me though, I love this car anyway you slice it.

I think @

The wheels may be 7" Anyway @72bluNblu says I may be able to get the 235/60/15 on there. I can't imagine it will be an issue since the 245/60/14 are only 1/2" shorter and they are .3" wider but they are on stock Rallyes. I think I need to try. I like the way the wide tire looks up front.
View attachment 1715030753

Yeah OE cop wheels are 15x7 with a 4.25" backspace. The problem is that a 245/60/14 is squeezed WAY down on a stock rallye wheel, it shouldn't even be mounted on a stock rim. Narrowest that tire should be on is a 7" rim, which a stock rallye is not. So, the calculator won't show the actual width of the tire as it's mounted on the car, it's just giving the spec assuming it's mounted on the right size wheel. So when the calculator says it's .3" wider it's assuming it's on a 7" rim, because that's the measured rim width for a 245/60/14 is 7". So what that means is the section and tread width numbers are measured when that tire is mounted on a 7" wide rim. On a 14x5.5 it will be narrower than that, and taller, because of the way it's being squeezed onto the rim.

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 10.47.04 AM.png

I ran 225/60/15's on cop rims on my Duster with the 73+ disks. I had very little extra room to the fenders and had to max out my lower front fender to bumper brace to clear the front corner of the wheel opening when turning. The 235/60/15 will be pushing your luck because of the increase in height and width. Increasing just the height, or just the width is easier to figure, the combination of both compounds the clearance issue. I couldn't have run them on my Duster, but my ride height was lower than stock too. It's been done, but things like ride height, body tolerances, tire manufacturer, alignment specs etc all play a role in that.

That all makes sense. Thank you. I can't go 225/60/15 because cooper does not make that size in the rwl cobra. So I need to think it over...

i can attest to the SQUEEZE...I have stock 14x7 rims all round and they told me 225/60/14 would fit in the rim, so I did and I must say that's a lot of squeeze (only on the rear) see pic. LOL
TwoScoops01.jpg

and then this is why I LIKE YOUR CAR SO MUCH!!! sorry for shouting. It reminds me of something I had. :(

74Duster07.jpg

74Duster06.jpg

74Duster05.jpg

I think that I have the same size front tire on my duster, I can take a pic of them tomorrow, they are also mounted on 15 x 7 stock wheels with 4.25 of back space, they don't rub, but are real close to the back of the fenders.

I think that I have the same size front tire on my duster, I can take a pic of them tomorrow, they are also mounted on 15 x 7 stock wheels with 4.25 of back space, they don't rub, but are real close to the back of the fenders.
Thanks Shawn, Tire size and pic would be helpful

D/D I have 195/75/14's on a 74 Duster just like yours (red too) and you can't go any taller than that size without issues. Plug it into the tire calculator and see how it measures up.

D/D I have 195/75/14's on a 74 Duster just like yours (red too) and you can't go any taller than that size without issues. Plug it into the tire calculator and see how it measures up.
I get that. What's your 2 cents on the 235/60/15 up front?

-
Back