1974 Plymouth Cuda fell into my lap….KINDA

-
On e bodies, factory 3 speed manual was the standard transmission to get. You had to pay extra to upgrade to a 4 speed or an automatic of your choice.

@Duster45 You asked for an opinion. I don't know diddley about A's, B's, C's, F's or much else, but I have followed E's for a long time due to having limited funds and always wanting one. I'm going to end up selling every car I ever get eventually so I try to buy smart, even though you wouldn't believe that if you saw some of my cars.
Not trying to clog up your post. I don't talk much on here (A's) but I can talk E's.

This one is 49K. From a high end dealer. Top of the market for this year and it won't sell for that price, in my opinion, as the bottom is not terribly well kept, although the top is.

BH23G3B253343
1973 Plymouth Barracuda | eBay

Yeah this Orange one is just plain overpriced. Knew it was a 318 car when it did not have the through the rear valance dual exhaust.

Then it has a manual 3spd, then they added the rear spoiler that did not come with the car. Also has the downgraded cheeper dash and gauges. Rusty dented headers don't help value either.

Trying to make this one something it's not, and with a big price tag besides.

Some cars are hot, and some are not.

Yeah this Orange one is just plain overpriced. Knew it was a 318 car when it did not have the through the rear valance dual exhaust.

Then it has a manual 3spd, then they added the rear spoiler that did not come with the car. Also has the downgraded cheeper dash and gauges. Rusty dented headers don't help value either.

Trying to make this one something it's not, and with a big price tag besides.

Some cars are hot, and some are not.

Good point. I'd value that one in the 30K. Maybe 32K. But I've not seen it in person and usually will look before spending that kind of coin.

Truly, for a car to drive and beat the crap out of, I would definitely say the 2-4s are the bargain buy. Value isn't ever going to match 70-71's. But getting into a 6 pack car for 35K is a great way to get into an E.
Honestly the body is exactly the same. Only minor difference's between all the bolt on parts. My first Cuda was a 73. Just something to get my butt into an E.

I had a damn near rust free 71, 383 auto car. Replaced the passenger ft floor pan... should have kept Her. Traded my 80 something /6 od 4 spd truck for it. Then, had Nowhere to keep her. Lost Many Mopars that way. No storage...

Last edited:
Great feedback, Thursday’s the day so I guess time will tell….I didn’t really NEED another car but for one to pop up this close to me at what seems to be a great price it would be silly not to go make a deal on it.

Great feedback, Thursday’s the day so I guess time will tell….I didn’t really NEED another car but for one to pop up this close to me at what seems to be a great price it would be silly not to go make a deal on it.

It's always going to be worth some value in the future. I always like to think what could I sell this for if I had to bail on it?

Still you do not want to eagerly pay too much for it in these uncertain times: financial, political, fuel shortages, food shortages, open Southern Border, extreme high inflation, bad administration running the country, USA having out of control debt.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong right now with day to day living.
Keep your bases covered.

You know the negotiating dance: You make a low offer, he counters with something higher, a little back and forth, then you meet somewhere in the middle for the deal.

It's the way every deal goes down, each person wants to feel as though they have moved into position for the final numbers that they are comfortable with. Sometimes it takes a little push and pull, plan your steps accordingly.

IMO -The body with interior alone with title if the integrity is there (and it appears complete) is worth at least 15k all day everyday. Complete and functioning motor trans and rear minimum 15k+. Just buy the damn thing.

Trying to determine, it is looking like it has a carpet pad on the dash, hiding a cracked upper plastic dash panel?

It also has the lower grade dash without the Speedo and Tach side by side. Common with the 318 cars.

Take a look at the back valance, probably has dual exhaust exiting underneath it instead of through it like the 340 models have.

Screenshot_20220517-083526_Gallery.jpg

Probably is what the back of the '73 looked like the way it came from the factory with the "Barracuda by Plymouth" emblem on the taillight panel.
Guessing they probably added the 'Cuda badge emblem after the fact to go with the 440 upgrade.

Curious if they they installed through the Valance exhaust with rectangular chrome tips to give it more of a 'Cuda look?

290761-1000-0.jpg

I wouldnt over analyze this . If the car looks nice with no glaring issues and drives tight ...buy it . 74 models do not range much in value from base model to 360 Rallye Pkg assuming they are in similar condition . 35k for a complete car like this is a deal . If it was a concourse restomod it would cost far more .

Would be good to ask what the rear gear ratio is ( 8 3/4? ).

More than likely came with a 3.23 open differential, is a good chance that was swapped out to a 3.55 with a Sure-grip.

Would be good to know what you are getting.

Would be good to ask what the rear gear ratio is ( 8 3/4? ).

More than likely came with a 3.23 open differential, is a good chance that was swapped out to a 3.55 with a Sure-grip.

Would be good to know what you are getting.

We discussed a lot on the phone. He explained the car pretty thoroughly. I believe he said 8 1/4 for rear end

Stepping stones of life, have to chuckle a bit. Was able to live the dream in my early 20s and own a '73 Barracuda.

Bought a house, and it was time to go to work paying on the mortgage. Ended up buying a new '78 D100 to get back and forth to work. 6 months later sold the Barracuda and paid off the loan balance on the new truck.

It all worked out just fine, here we are 43 years later and I still own that same house, and playing with mopars in the garage.

So Far So Good . . .

20220517_095005.jpg

We discussed a lot on the phone. He explained the car pretty thoroughly. I believe he said 8 1/4 for rear end
Well if you have the photo of the rear valance maybe you can see what rear it is.

Yes it looks like this picture, I didn’t post that one because his license plate shows in it.

OK good, that's a plus.

Wonder if by chance they installed the rear sway bar on it too, better handling and less body roll with that big block up front?

Edit:
Guess if it still has the 8 1/4 in it, then probably no rear sway bar.

I can't remember for sure ?
I thought some California cars did not have the rear valance with with dual exhaust cutouts ?

The fact is everybody wants e bodies.
Cudas seem to bring more coin then challengers in most cases ?
I still have one of my cuda's a 1972 340 4speed.
It has a 70 wing on it the previous owner installed.
I like it so I'll leave it.
I've had that car since 2001.

-
Back