1974 Slant 6 Holley 1945

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

A bit of a newbie so I will try and explain as best I can. I just got my carb rebuilt and noticed that the choke I think is not where it is supposed to be. In first 2 pics, the choke is closed all the way and the fast alignment screw is not in correct place/Step in CAM? Is this right? Any help is appreciated. Also if someone can explain how the electric choke works on these 74 /6 that would be awesome.

Carb 3.jpg

Carb 4.jpg

Dead cold, that looks correct to me. As soon as the engine starts, the vacuum "pot" (item in the lower part of the 1st picture) will pull the choke open a certain amount (that is specified in the choke adjustment specs). If you then kick the throttle, the stepped cam will move, and the fast idle screw will hit/sit on a different step.

Dead cold, that looks correct to me. As soon as the engine starts, the vacuum "pot" (item in the lower part of the 1st picture) will pull the choke open a certain amount (that is specified in the choke adjustment specs). If you then kick the throttle, the stepped cam will move, and the fast idle screw will hit/sit on a different step.
Ah ok. So dead cold it doesnt matter that the fast idle isnt sitting in a step?

No it doesn't matter, as it starts to warm the idle will get higher and that's when you blip the throttle as described above.

No it doesn't matter, as it starts to warm the idle will get higher and that's when you blip the throttle as described above.
Update on this one if you can help. Just took the carb for another adjustment and seems to be idling a bit better now after rebuilt. But when I come to a stop. When I try to go again i am getting stuttering for about 1 second before car gets going. Right now just tried to pull into driveway and car died trying to get up the driveway. Fuel issue? Timing issue? Replaced mech fuel pump last week as it had gone out. Put in a transparent fuel filter from pump to carb and can see it is about halfway full with gas. Sorry for long post! Thanks!

the choke I think is not where it is supposed to be.

It's right where it's meant to be with a fully-cold engine, just after you stepped on the accelerator to allow the choke to close, and before you turned the key to start it.

Also if someone can explain how the electric choke works on these 74 /6
Poorly! There's a heat element next to the bimetallic spring in the choke thermostat (the little metal box perched atop the exhaust manifold). The heater is powered via another little box perched atop the cylinder head; this second box's job is to control electric power to the heater. The heater's job is to cause the choke to open sooner than later, so the cars would pass their new-vehicle emissions type-approval tests and Chrysler could legally offer them for sale. Unlike the '72-down chokes without the heat element, these '73-up items are nonadjustable. They are also notorious for opening too fast/too soon and causing gasp/stall/hesitate driveability faults. Do yourself a giant favour; fetch a № 1234 SuperChoke kit and drop it in place of the factory equipment. They work much better and they're fully adjustable.

-
Back