1975 ( Grand National Engine ) details

-
What the big teams got that amateurs or certainly garage built teams didn't? Was number of parts. To properly balance and blue print engines? One needed dozens of parts to choose. Carefully weighing and balancing to near identical specs. Especially back in the day before modern billet machined parts.

My jealousy cup runneth over!

you can get a more aggressive cam lobe when the face of the lifter is like 1.00, but a roller will still put it to shame. Must be put in with block upside down on a stand from the bottom!
Ok makes sense thank u / that explains why
Roller is KING

What the big teams got that amateurs or certainly garage built teams didn't? Was number of parts. To properly balance and blue print engines? One needed dozens of parts to choose. Carefully weighing and balancing to near identical specs. Especially back in the day before modern billet machined parts.

My jealousy cup runneth over!

a friends dad ran Super Stock in mid 70 and won a couple championships with Bob Lambeck.

He said Chrysler would send them 100’s of rockers and they would pick the ones that measured out the best… then send rest back.

super stock is nothing compared to the budgets and effort to running NASCAR even in 60’s and 70’s.

a friends dad ran Super Stock in mid 70 and won a couple championships with Bob Lambeck.

He said Chrysler would send them 100’s of rockers and they would pick the ones that measured out the best… then send rest back.

super stock is nothing compared to the budgets and effort to running NASCAR even in 60’s and 70’s.
Makes sense bigger fan base ( Nascar )
It Died when Winston was forced out for PC reasons !
Just imagine back in the late 60s or Early 70s if u said Toyota will be in Nascar in the future the reaction or comment u would have heard would be Epic !!!
I live close enough to Atlanta motor speedway I can hear them running from the porch
I was there when H.Gant made his last race we stood in respect for all he was and acheived : great memory for me
Now I probably wouldn't go if I had free tickets I get more entertainment by tearing an old greasy LA down etc etc.

W-3 by 1975

upload_2021-7-22_22-24-37.jpeg

Sorry to be late to this party but I recently found this image listed (on Worthpoint) from an old ebay ad, so I have no more details. I'm wondering if anybody recognizes this catalog and would know whether or not it (this 1974 issue or maybe a later issue) included any SBM engine parts or information?
51643961518_9bf7ed83fe.jpg
Chrysler Circuit Car Performance Parts Jan 1974 SP3 by Jim Harris, on Flickr

Sorry to be late to this party but I recently found this image listed (on Worthpoint) from an old ebay ad, so I have no more details. I'm wondering if anybody recognizes this catalog and would know whether or not it (this 1974 issue or maybe a later issue) included any SBM engine parts or information?
View attachment 1715813053Chrysler Circuit Car Performance Parts Jan 1974 SP3 by Jim Harris, on Flickr

Never to late !!
Thank you

View attachment 1715813053Chrysler Circuit Car Performance Parts Jan 1974 SP3 by Jim Harris, on Flickr
I have that catalog, I dont think there were any smallblock parts in it, I will double check and report back

I have that catalog, I dont think there were any smallblock parts in it, I will double check and report back

I have it too. It pre-dates the switch to small blocks. So no small block stuff

it’s just got RB and Hemi stuff for motors.

They might seem off the shelf. But it seems there was some very select and special parts that went to top teams (Petty).

i have flow bench charts from “Petty castings”.

And memos of “select” parts being sent/from to Petty and special drag teams.
How potent was the heads
#,s etc ??

How potent was the heads
#,s etc ??

Well the flow numbers I posted. But that’s relative data to that flow bench. I doubt anyone is going to remember details 40+ years ago.

I’ll look if there’s a report that accompanies this flow chart.

Last edited:
Anyone heard of W blocks ? A friend has a block he says has a W cast into it .

@replicaracer43 might have something.
I have some kit car info, but I dont have that particular bulletin, but I have a 77 brochure, and the engine package at that time was the W2/355 combo. Prior to that I believe it was a 340 with factory iron heads, probably similar to what was available from Mullen before the W2 development

I have some kit car info, but I dont have that particular bulletin, but I have a 77 brochure, and the engine package at that time was the W2/355 combo. Prior to that I believe it was a 340 with factory iron heads, probably similar to what was available from Mullen before the W2 development
OK, thanks for looking it up - Jim

-
Back