1976 2-speed wipers w/ electric washer pump questions

-

clinto

Reaction score
So I have this client's '76 Dart and someone did a painless harness and I'm finishing up a couple loose ends (gauges and such). The car has 2 speed wipers and an electric washer pump. I've gotten the wipers to work properly (when I got it all it had was high speed and they didn't return to park) but I'm trying to figure out how the electric pump works.

Judging by the verbiage in the factory shop manual, by '76 all the models in the Chrysler line had electric washer pumps, even the 2-speed cars. The car still had the factory harness connector where it plugs into the wiper switch and there is a brown wire going nowhere. The brown wire is what should power the pump.

The wiper switch in the car when I got it had a '72 or '73 part # so I bought an NOS '76 switch (3746851). Multiple vendors across the web call this a '75-'76 2-speed with electric washer pump switch:

Washer/Wiper Switch# 3746851 - 2-speed - 1974-76 - A - Body - NOS

And there is a spade on the back marked "W".

I can't figure out how you're supposed to make the washer run - I expected to be able to push in on the knob but that doesn't do anything and there's no way to turn the knob counter clockwise to engage the pump. I have all the manuals for this car except the owners manual.

Am I an idiot and not operating the switch correctly or am I mistaken and this switch doesn't have washer functionality?

Thanks

Maybe the switch is bad. Either knob depresses or there is a center button. I sit possible you have the wrong knob and the knob is too far in, not allowing the switch to depress?

I got it to work- it was the switch. It was in a 1970s box, so I guess it had some corrosion on the terminal or something. I pushed it in about a hundred times and finally it came to life.

Wish there was an easy way to take it apart and clean it.

Thanks

-
Back