1977 452 heads stock springs

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
Do the stock intake valve springs have a counter wound internal spring and the exhaust valve springs have a single spring?

Asking because I mixed up my springs and I cant find anything online about this.

Single springs the same on both intake and exhaust on almost every last thing the came from the factory in a big block, no damper spring.

All that matters is what your cam requires today.

Everything is stock and I'm just reassembling it. Half the springs have a damper and the exhaust valves are supposed to have rotators. I just need to know if the exhaust or intake springs had the dampers.

Everything is stock and I'm just reassembling it. Half the springs have a damper and the exhaust valves are supposed to have rotators. I just need to know if the exhaust or intake springs had the dampers.

Compare the spring heights. See if one is shorter than the other. If so, the shorter springs will use the exhaust rotators and that will answer your question. I've never seen one that had eight of one with dampers and eight without, so I would be looking at the heights.

Thanks, I noticed the difference in heights but I just wanted to double check before I put the wrong springs in the wrong place. As for why half are different I have no clue. This engine was never touched before I got it.

Thanks, I noticed the difference in heights but I just wanted to double check before I put the wrong springs in the wrong place. As for why half are different I have no clue. This engine was never touched before I got it.

It may be completely normal. I ain't seen it all by a long shot so........

As for why half are different I have no clue. This engine was never touched before I got it.

So, the shorter springs had the rotators, which is of course exhaust. Which spring matches the dampers, intakes?

The shorter springs have the dampers but I thought counterwound dual springs are supposed to limit rotation hence my confusion

The shorter springs have the dampers but I thought counterwound dual springs are supposed to limit rotation hence my confusion

The valves rotate. Not the springs.

-
Back