1978 318

-
idk
does your block have oil to the deck?
if so i'd check and see if the head could be drilled like stock
you know I like pudhrod oiling for the adjusters but for low or high rpm??

So, AJ, the Hughesengines Whiplash cam doesn’t have the timing events to help low compression engines like they say it does.
I don't hate 318s.
I think 5000plus pounds and a 318 is just silly.

As to your comment about the whiplash cam
the specs are 213/226/109+5. They don't publish the advertiseds cuz if they did, nobody would buy them.
Their older, now obsolete cams in that range had 46* ramps. If you add that to the .050s you get
259/272/109+5 If you work that out, you get 126* compression/110 exhaust, and an Ica of 54*, And I'm guessing these specs are for .008
tappet lift.

Now, lets install that cam into an 8/1 318, and lets be fair; how many 318s have you taken apart that measured 8.0? But Ok it doesn't really matter cuz the intake isn't closed anyway at the 54* mark. And the Wallace Calculator says;
Static compression ratio of 8:1.
Ica of 54*
Effective stroke is 2.78 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 6.87:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 133.78
PSI.................................. 134
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 107 ............................................. 107

And with the stock 240/248/112cam we get an Ica of 48*
Static compression ratio of 8:1.
Effective stroke is 2.89 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.10:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 139.76
PSI. .............................. 140
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 116 ........................................... 116

So the whiplash gives up 6 psi and 8% low-rpm performance

So the whiplash, with no other changes, turns your slo-poke combo, into a slower-poke combo .................. With no other changes. So you are forced to install a higher stall TC at extra cost, and in this case a trans cooler would be a great idea.

Well waitaminute, if you gotta get a higher stall TC anyway, at extra cost ......................

Next lets talk about those 4.10s. IDK what size tires are on this brute, but lets say 30s. That makes those 4.10s behave like a 3.62 corrected to a 26.5 tire. Ok so what 318 is gonna pull a 5000 pound beast with 3.62s and 26.5s at anything but slow-poke speed, and now with the whiplash, it just got slower.
Well waitaminute,if you gotta get gears anyway, at extra cost........

Ok so the bottom line is this, no matter what, you gotta ditch the factory stall TC and the 4.10s. If you put all your money into the engine, then what? Then What, is you get a slower vehicle until the rpm gets up to around 3500rpm. What's that in mph? Well with 30s it would be 30 mph in first gear. But the torque-peak might not arrive until 3800/37 mph. and the powerpeak might show up at 4800/47mph. Lord help you when the shift comes, cuz yur DONE.

So then, if you gotta get a higher stall TC anyway, and if you gotta get gears anyway; then you might as well do that first, and then you can at least enjoy what you got and start saving up for a whatever engine.

Getting back to the whiplash
, they work because the Ica is not compromised quite as much as a more common
213/226/110+4 which might have an Ica of 56*.... but there is nothing to stop you from advancing it 2 more degrees and then having the exact same cylinder pressure as what the whiplash makes. The absolute only thing you lose is the overlap and attendant big-cam idle. plus whatever lift difference you might encounter.
I call that a poser-cam, cuz it poses as a big cam but it's not, just a regular cam with attitude, and I'd give up that attitude in a heartbeat for a properly matched to the application cam.

But I see the OP has already figured this out, and is going a different route. Goodbye 318/ hello stroker. Smart move

Last edited:
AJ has his panties in a wadd.....:)
Naaaaaaa, that’s his typical reply and slightly slanted against the Hughes cam and 318’s of which he hates a good bit. His math via the calculators is sound but he assumes to much.

If it were fact, then it would have been proven, which the opposite has been shown and proven.

The one thing I readily agree with is the amusing title which he gives the cam, “A Poser cam.” But it’s OK since Hughes themselves give it such a description.

aj nailed it
whipfast type cams try and get a big lobe to close the intake earlier
problem is they do not he aby shorter ones
same problem as with comp's xe ---hl line
256 howard or jones or 250 voodoo make more sense
pick the seat timing (proxy is lca) that works for U

Are the EQ heads even available right now? I know the Chevy ones are not being cast right now and all the dirt track guys are scrambling to find used ones for their builds.

-
Back