-
Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty8vw

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I bought this back in March 2016 as a beater and have pieced it together to be my daily driver. Built in December 1981. Non a/c car. 1.6 diesel engine runs great. Solid car overall. Worst of the rust is along the lip around the jack points (see pic). So far I've replaced the starter, alternator, battery, front axles, ball joints, tie rods, bilstein shocks with midly lowered springs, master cylinder, front brake shoes, front brake lines, e-brake cable, hoses, belts, wheel bearings, rebuilt diesel injection pump. Probably a lot more that I can't think of right now. Leather seats are from a wrecked Scirocco 16V that only had 60K miles on it, though the stitching is coming apart. I also have the rear Scirocco seat (leather) but never tried to install it as I prefer the back open. A previous owner put cabriolet door cards in it, though I'm including a nice original set. The headliner was literally shredded and insulation blowing around when I bought it, so I used some Halloween material I had at the time to make a headliner. Easy fix if it isn't to your taste. I put black reflective tape on the bumpers, you don't really notice it in the day but helps being seen at night. The sunroof was taped up when I got it, I have not messed with it. Valve cover gasket needs to be replaced (I have one) as well as oil pan gasket. Rear brakes need aligning, I have another set of rear drums I can include if wanted. I'd planned to swap to disk but never did. Currently has 1982 NC year of manufacture license plate, with correct December sticker on it. Also has reproduction 1982 inspection sticker. Exhaust just started rattling against the tunnel, I assume one of the hangers is bad. Mostly stock, slow as Christmas. Recently drove to Atlanta and to Asheville, though it did NOT like the incline going up the mountain and big rigs were even passing me. Not perfect, but has tons of character. Asking $2500 or will consider vintage truck or car (no 4 doors!). Worst I can say is no. Trades need to be within an hour or two of Charlotte NC as I currently don't have a truck/trailer unless you can bring it.

image2(10).jpeg

image1(10).jpeg

image1(110).jpeg

image2(1).jpeg

image5(1).jpeg

image6(10).jpeg

image8(1).jpeg

image11(10).jpeg

image12(1).jpeg

image1(20).jpeg

How many miles on it and how many MPG. I used to have a 81 non diesel, loved it.

No way to know, the odometer did not work for the first two years I drove it. It was locked on 91K miles. Had a friend fix the cluster so it registers again. Showing 110K now. Since it didn't work, I never tried to figure out the mileage. Guessing 40-50 depending on how you drive it.

They are good. I'm sure the whopping 52hp (at least it was from factory 37 years ago) doesn't push them too hard! Seems like the previous owner told me he'd replaced the shifter bushings as well so it still shifts great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back