1988 blazer, no spark?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm working on this blazer, I had it running good shut it down and now no spark...

Pulled the cap and rotor and the reluctor is rusty as ****. The coil is firing.

I hate this truck!! It's got like a 12" lift so it's a major ***** to work on and the customer is not great. It came in on a flat bed but he keeps saying "it ran great before".
REALY, WHY THE FU#K DID YOU TOW IT HERE THEN? the tyranny is leaking, "well it never leaked before". The brakes SUCK but they "worked great before". I need this truck gone before I slap the **** out of someone...
Next its gonna be the tires are worn out, "they were fine before".

I'm thinking the distributor just crapped out?

Any ideas before I shoot my self?

What's it got? Gen1 small block HEI? Swap the cap, rotor, and module. There's gotta be at least one in your shop, parking lot, or graveyard. Fire it up and send his *** packing.

Those coils go for ****.
Or is it fuel?
88? That still tbi?

Aparrently not interested in answering our questions.

I sprayed the reluctor with eletric parts cleaner then blasted it with compressed air and boom fired right up.

The big kicker was I had to drop off my ladys car so I parked the blazer hung the keys on the hook, dropped my ladys car off while the customer was taking an uber to pick up his truck. Got back to the shop and the dam door lock broke on the shop door. It was spinning 360 degrees and not unlocking.

Now I'm thinking good lord what else can go wrong. The truck is done and I cant get to the keys. This guy left work to pick up his truck, the keys are two feet behind the door and im screwed....

My buddy's at the detail shop have experience with locked doors so I asked them and dam if he didn't have the door open right as the customer pulls up...

He offered to pay me for today but I said dont worry about the hours today. It's on me, I should have had it done yesterday.

He left happy, I worked all day on Sunday for free but he left happy. So I'll call it a wash...

Aparrently not interested in answering our questions.
Ah, he's a regular. Usually chimes in later in the night. I'm sure he fixed a sbc with no spark by now. Not worth trying to find the problem when the parts are a dime a dozen. Just get it running and get it out of the garage. He doesn't need 500 **** customers. 100 good ones will make him more money and he'll be home for dinner most nights.

And there he is, chimed in while I was typing.

The distributor module in those controls fire to the distributor of course, but also to the fuel pump. So, when they go out, you will not hear the fuel pump kick on. That's how I always verified it was a module. No fire plus no fuel and the module always fixed it for me 100% of the time.

I don't know what you could have done spraying the reluctor. It will fail to start, again, I bet.

Glad its solved.
But odd. A dirty reluctor?
Perhaps a bit of moisture too.

Glad its solved.
But odd. A dirty reluctor?
Perhaps a bit of moisture too.
Yup. Probably a coincidence/luck thing. Usually cap, rotor, module on HEI units does the trick every 200-250k or so. No reason to track down which $2 part it is. Just replace the whole thing and you're good to go.

I'm just glad that cursed POS it out the door.
If it fails-when it fails it will come back and I'll fix it.

This is the most gutless POS I've ever drove, my ladys Honda would blow the doors off it.

The fan is 8" from the radiator, it had no working water temp or oil pressure.

Fixed the temp gauge and oil pressure (for free at a loss) and told him when he gets sick of the lack of power to bring it back for the fan spacer and a gear swap.

As long as the customer leaves happy I'm good.

-
Back