2.25” or 2.5” exhaust??

-

dddDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all- was out driving the duster today, when it got loud! Pulled in the garage to look, sure enough big ol rust hole in muffler. Looking further, I’ve got holes here there and everywhere, pretty much time for new. What’s your opinion, Accurate and Waldron will provide a 2.25” system, TTI has 2.5”. I understand the straight stock setup is too small. 1970 Duster, 198 all stock currently, working on a super six manifold to go to a 2 bbl.
Thanks as always,
Tim

Hi all- was out driving the duster today, when it got loud! Pulled in the garage to look, sure enough big ol rust hole in muffler. Looking further, I’ve got holes here there and everywhere, pretty much time for new. What’s your opinion, Accurate and Waldron will provide a 2.25” system, TTI has 2.5”. I understand the straight stock setup is too small. 1970 Duster, 198 all stock currently, working on a super six manifold to go to a 2 bbl.
Thanks as always,
Tim
The 2.25" should be enough, but I wouldn't want to lose sleep over it, so I would just get the 2.5" system.

Picking from those three, I would pick TTi. All three are not cheap.

Picking from those three, I would pick TTi. All three are not cheap.

I agree not cheap, but don’t know where else to buy. Seems the parts stores don’t really want to seem anything for these old cars except a “universal fit” set up, which usually makes me wonder what universe anyone thought that thing was going fit! Haven’t had luck with any of the local shops I’ve tried either, would love any other options!

Last edited:
I have the TTI kit,while not installed looks to be very good quality. From purchase to my door step in 10 days. TTI even called and said it would be 2-3 weeks to make it as they didnt have any in their stockroom and asked if i wanted a refund. Told them no and still arrived in great time.

Heres some pics. I ordered it without muffler as i have a couple different ones i want to try sitting in the garage.

20200504_121846.jpg

20200504_121630.jpg

20200504_121242.jpg

20200504_121302.jpg

I have the TTI kit,while not installed looks to be very good quality. From purchase to my door step in 10 days. TTI even called and said it would be 2-3 weeks to make it as they didnt have any in their stockroom and asked if i wanted a refund. Told them no and still arrived in great time.

Thanks, did you buy it directly from them or through like Mancini? Picks look awesome!

I purchased through mancini they dropship from TTI, from their CA wearhouse to my house in KS was $110 shipping. The cost around here for an exhaust shop to build me a system would have been $650 or higher. So i saved money in the long run.

I agree not cheap, but don’t know where else to buy. Seems the parts stores don’t really want to seem anything for these old cars except a “universal fit” set up, which usually makes me wonder what universe anyone thought that thing was going fit! Haven’t had luck with any of the local shops I’ve tried either, would love any other options!

I went with TTi, they did mine in 304 stainless steel for a little more. I will never have to worry about it rusting, even sounds better than aluminized or plain steel. Here’s a brief picture of a section of TTi exhaust while I was replacing my driveshaft last year. I bought my exhaust in 2012 and still looks brand new.

51402B36-F318-4A60-AD03-BF7BCB6B87F0.jpeg

With your mostly stock setup, it won't matter much. (Unless you're one of those "mine's bigger than yours!) type of guys. Haven't looked in awhile but Waldron may not be mandrel bent.

Get quotes from all 3 and go from there. If you like TTI best then get get that one. Good stuff. Whether Mancini or TTI direct? Same parts, only diff would be your credit card statement.

I'd go Accurate or TTI, 2-1/4. There's no need for a bigger exhaust on a stock or even decently built slant.

I modified my 225 Slant with the Super Six set-up, and a Carter BBD off of a 318. For exhaust I added Hooker 3 into 1 Headers. I had a muffler shop build a 2.25” dual exhaust W/ “H” pipe using aluminized pipe. It goes all the way back through glass pack mufflers around the tank some real nice bright tips.

E1D7244C-1A52-423F-A935-0BC94427B4BA.png

Thanks as always,
Tim
I had a local guy do my dual exhaust on a 65 dart with cherry bomb vortex and parts i think it was around 300.00

I recently purchased and installed an Accurate 2.25 ( without the muffler) on my one /6.
20200512_135401.jpg

I found the price for what you get in the box to be reasonable but the shipping was a killer. The hardware and gasket were decent quality and the pipes themselves were fantastic. Accurate had great communication after the order was placed and it arrived quickly. I'm happy with the 2.25. I have a 2.5 TTI on my other /6 that the previous owner put on. I honestly can't notice a difference between them BUT I can definitely notice a difference from stock to the 2.25.
20200512_135437.jpg

20200512_143220.jpg

I recently purchased and installed an Accurate 2.25 ( without the muffler) on my one /6.
View attachment 1715537596
I found the price for what you get in the box to be reasonable but the shipping was a killer. The hardware and gasket were decent quality and the pipes themselves were fantastic. Accurate had great communication after the order was placed and it arrived quickly. I'm happy with the 2.25. I have a 2.5 TTI on my other /6 that the previous owner put on. I honestly can't notice a difference between them BUT I can definitely notice a difference from stock to the 2.25.
View attachment 1715537600

View attachment 1715537601

Thanks!

Ok, so based on what often my #1 technical spec (price!), I ordered the TTI set, less than $500 to my door. Ordered thru member HemiDenny, will report once it arrives! Might be a little bit before install, I need to pull transmission and fix some horrible leaks first!

0D9C623D-99C1-4C73-A517-869CF95BC1AF.jpeg
EF2E5784-5600-43D2-B177-ECBE6611DBCD.jpeg
FBF66296-4E35-43D5-8FC1-4CE0C0B6CAE4.jpeg
2A9452C6-0EE1-4B8B-BE41-D758B26B72A4.jpeg
Member HemiDenny ordered it for me June 3, it was at my house 10 days later, not bad for a drop ship item. Been doing transmission refresh and 2 bbl manifold work since then, sill start install tomorrow. Will attempt pics as I go!

The muffler shop at where i live did my 2.25 all the way to the bumper. On my buddies he did 2.5 all the way to the back, i think 2.25 is more that plenty cost me $200.00 bucks and change

The muffler shop at where i live did my 2.25 all the way to the bumper. On my buddies he did 2.5 all the way to the back, i think 2.25 is more that plenty cost me $200.00 bucks and change

2.25” would have been fine for me, $650 is the lowest price I found here. HemiDenny beat that price significantly and 2.5” is what TTI does.

I wouldn't pay big $$$ for a crush bent 2.25" system. Any decent local muffler shop can duplicate that for less $$$.

The TTI system is mandrel bent and looks nice but probably overkill for a /6!

-
Back