2 post vs 4 post for long term storage

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a lift to store my 67 convertible dart.

A 2 post would be the most useful but I suspect storing a convertible (or any other car for that matter) on a 2 post with all the cars weight on 4 points might not be good for the long run.

4 post makes the most sense for ease of use and storage and offers MOST the same usefulness.

What say you?

I have one of each....i use the 4 post for mostly storage and minor maintenance....oil changes...etc.
The two post is where most of the work is done.

As long as the four points of contact are each on a frame rail, the thing can hang in the air until you're a hundred years old.

Hi all,

A 2 post would be the most useful but I suspect storing a convertible (or any other car for that matter) on a 2 post with all the cars weight on 4 points might not be good for the long run.

4 post makes the most sense for ease of use and storage and offers MOST the same usefulness.

What say you?
I have a 2 post. However, for storage of any kind or if you want to put another vehicle under it, highly recommend a 4 post. My next lift will be a 4 post just for this reason

I am looking at a 4 post. One thing to consider is that the 2 posts are wider. It makes a difference in my case.

I've had all kinds of lifts, the 4 post takes up too much floor space when the vehicle is in the air, while the 2 post leaves both the front and back of the shop space under the vehicle totally clear and useable.
My research showed my 2 posts being a mere 2 inches wider than the 4 post.
Some 2 posts ask for extra/harder concrete for base, but extra stability may be easily added with a 2 ft extension of the footprint, shown by the instructions.

Auto Lift AL-SP-6K-SS 6000 lb. Single Column Car Storage Lift ......... Just another choice.

SP-6K-SS-350.jpg

Auto Lift AL-SP-6K-SS 6000 lb. Single Column Car Storage Lift

I've had all kinds of lifts, the 4 post takes up too much floor space when the vehicle is in the air, while the 2 post leaves both the front and back of the shop space under the vehicle totally clear and useable.
My research showed my 2 posts being a mere 2 inches wider than the 4 post.
Some 2 posts ask for extra/harder concrete for base, but extra stability may be easily added with a 2 ft extension of the footprint, shown by the instructions.

The two posts seem to average about 140 inches wide, while the four posts are around 114 inches wide. My garage is about 124 inches wide.

I wouldnt hang a convertible on a 2 post for any extended period of time.
Ever.
I watched the door gaps open as i lifted one on a 2 post. I dont reccomend a 2 post to lift any convertible for any lenght if time.
I have a 4 post. I would never go back to a 2 post.
Its safer. 4 locks instead of 2. 4 cables instead of 2.
Zero setup time.

I agree some (many) jobs are easier on a 2 post, but not preventing you from doing the same work.

I think most have confirmed my 4 post thoughts. I have room for either so functionality and long term storage are the deciding factors. The 1 post is interesting but scares the crap out of me. I'm sure it is safe BUT....

NOW

How about manufacturer?

I really like the fact that a 4 post comes with a built in bench to set
Wheels on. Saves me having to pick them up. Especially truck wheels.
And a big area to pile tools.

In my case I will be buying a 4 post. I like the fact they can be rolled into another bay. Plus the dual jacks underneath make it virtually as handy as a two post. Still have the ramps to contend with, but the offset features to me are superior on a 4 post. I can see doing subtle frame repairs, solid positioning for quarter or frame rail replacement. I saw on B-bodys, I think Malex, built a rotisserie onto his as well. Can't do that on two for sure.

I often use it as a welding bench too.

Hi all,

What say you?
I did some research before I purchased my 4 post lift. All 2 post lift manufactures state in their owners manuals that the 2 post lifts are not intended to be used for storage.

6D77617F-D1AF-4DBF-BFCE-796AC9EAD1B6.jpeg
4 post for storage. Easy decision in my book.

I have a rolling jack lift and a bottle jack tray. Has been very easy to do any work I’ve wanted to do. Will be installing my engine from the bottom as well. I’ve got plenty clearance between the rails.

Need roughly 14 feet to use a hoist to its full capacity. Like lifting a full size pickup.

Different lift heights & capacities are available.

I am looking at getting one big enough for my Fury & tall enough to walk under without ducking.

A place about 40 miles away sells one that would work for me.

Different lift heights & capacities are available.

I am looking at getting one big enough for my Fury & tall enough to walk under without ducking.

A place about 40 miles away sells one that would work for me.
Check out a Revolution 4 post lift by Rotary
I am 6'2 and can walk under mine
13'6 ceiling height

8F3541C3-1157-462A-B23F-090E279F9CBD.jpeg
I did this. 32” to get just over 13 feet. Full size van on hoist and i have lots of room under hoist.
My pickup at full height is too high to work on.

-
Back