[WANTED] 2 Sets of 340/727 Column shift linkage

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time I need the linkage most for my 70 Dart. I had been planning on converting my car from a 4-spd to an automatic this coming winter but my clutch just crapped out on me so I have decided to just do the conversion now. So, if anyone can help me out with the linkage I would appreciate it. I have a set of column to 904 linkage but I have been told it won't work with a 727.

I'm trying to get the parts I need to convert to an automatic from a 4-speed. Since I don't have any of the linkage, I wouldn't know for sure what the correct parts should look like if I saw them. I was just hoping somebody had a set that they knew for sure was from a 340/727 column shift car.

Just take the 904 bell crank and cut about an inch out between the shift levers.Make sure you index it first.The only other modification will be the transmission mount for the bell crank.I think you just finagle it a little or mount it under the tab...all else should work.
Good luck finding an original...most 340's were consul shifted. I have modified a few of these in the past.

.jpg

I'm trying to get the parts I need to convert to an automatic from a 4-speed. Since I don't have any of the linkage, I wouldn't know for sure what the correct parts should look like if I saw them. I was just hoping somebody had a set that they knew for sure was from a 340/727 column shift car.

If u search my name u may be able to pick out what u need. I can’t remember how to tell anymore. Kim

@krazykuda ELABORATE and help the guy out or shut your hole.

Practically everything is different in the shift linkages from a 904 compared to a 727... We've been piecing it together ourselves... Here's what we've got so far:

The z-bar and the bracket for the z-bar that bolts to the trans are different... The black linkage on the left is from a 904 and the natural bare metal colored one on the right is for a 727... Notice that the bracket that bolts to the trans for a 904 is basically a 90° angle and the one for the 727 has a 'dip' in it (the ones on the top of the picture)... If you use the 904 bracket on the 727, the bar will be ****-eyed and bind...

The z-bar is also shorter on the 727 vs the 904 because the bell housing is wider on the 727, so you need a shorter z-bar.... The two brackets for the shifters on the z-bar are different spacing also... As you can see in this picture...

Shift link B02 B.jpg

Here's a close up of the bracket that bolts to the trans of 904 vs 727....

Shift link B05 B.jpg

Here are the z bars in similar orientation showing the difference in spacing for the two brackets that the shift rods go to.... The 904 is the black one and the natural bare metal one is the 727...

Shift link B09 B.jpg

Here's a view from the other side showing the difference in the spacing of the brackets for the shift rods....

Shift link B11 B.jpg

The spacing between the brackets for the shift rods on the 904 z bar is about 5 1/2"....

Shift link B17 B.jpg

The spacing between the brackets for the 727 z bar is about 4 1/2"...

Shift link B20 B.jpg

The length of the shaft of the z-bar on a 904 is just shy of 7 3/4"....

Shift link B24 B.jpg

The length of the shaft of the z-bar on a 727 is just shy of 6 3/4"....

Shift link B23 B.jpg

The shift rod from the column to the first bracket on the z bar is also different, the 727 rod is slightly longer than the 904 rod...

Shift link B30 B.jpg

Shift link B33 B.jpg

The rod from the trans bracket to the trans bar is also different, the 904 appears to be shorter... We are still working on that, but the 904 rod seems to need about another 1 - 1 1/2" for it to be able to be adjusted properly... Ours keeps going out of "adjustment" and sometimes won't park properly or the starter won't engage in park and we have to use neutral... That is the last piece that we need to get my son's 71 Valiant working... :BangHead:

The 904 is 2 inches narrower than a 727 so the bell crank or torque shaft is 1 inch longer as shown in the pictures.( remember you're only on one side )
re read my post and cut an inch out of the torque shaft of the 904...it'll work fine.Mount the trans bracket below the ear on the 727 or i believe the bracket for an early van will also work ...just get it level. There is adjustment on the shift arms. I have cut and rewelded many of these, like i said index it first before welding.

here's a pic of one i made
the long one is a 904...i duplicated it but made it one inch shorter to fit a 727
...1/2" round stock and some 10 gauge flat bar

IMG_2793.JPG

I have the correct torque shaft. I’ll post a picture of it later today and PM you later with a price. I should also still have the linkage that goes from the torque shaft and the transmission.

I have the correct torque shaft. I’ll post a picture of it later today and PM you later with a price. I should also still have the linkage that goes from the torque shaft and the transmission.
I took this linkage out of a 71 or 72 Demon with column shift years ago knowing that it was unique to 727’s in
A-bodies.

View attachment 1715791861

DB1470EE-8D5B-4EF7-927F-F98C0576C84C.jpeg

Last edited:
These are not easy to find. Because the 70 auto floor shift guys are always looking for this for the column lock out set up. Everything is the same but the bottom rod. I will sell one set up

855EDB8E-4E58-4E26-915E-50ADBC4E10A5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back