2 X'S and an R

-

lead69

hopeless car junkie
Reaction score
So I could not believe these are all in my garage at the same time, not all mine but I think I should buy a lottery ticket anyway!!!
23839.jpeg

I hope someone is making good use of them. :thumbsup:
I'll have to ask around and see if I can find out who's blocks they are. lol

So I could not believe these are all in my garage at the same time, not all mine but I think I should buy a lottery ticket anyway!!!View attachment 1715722268

Can you give any more details on these blocks? What kind of builds were they used for, and what are they going to be used for? Just curious as we don't get many posts on these.
Looks like the X block on the right may have a four bolt main cap peaking out on the number two main.
The X block on the left has an extra bolt hole down toward the main journals. Is that for a gear drive?

Also looks like a Speedmaster box sitting on the floor toward the top of the picture. I assume that is not related to the desirable blocks you have there.

Can you give any more details on these blocks? What kind of builds were they used for, and what are they going to be used for? Just curious as we don't get many posts on these.
Looks like the X block on the right may have a four bolt main cap peaking out on the number two main.
The X block on the left has an extra bolt hole down toward the main journals. Is that for a gear drive?

Also looks like a Speedmaster box sitting on the floor toward the top of the picture. I assume that is not related to the desirable blocks you have there.

Yes, the extra hole is for a gear drive.

did the X block come with out motor mounts? a guy local to me is selling one. the add says its a 340 X block. the pictures he posted of it, it looks like it doesn't have any motor mounts. it does have 4 bolt mains. sorry for the high jack.

did the X block come with out motor mounts? a guy local to me is selling one. the add says its a 340 X block. the pictures he posted of it, it looks like it doesn't have any motor mounts. it does have 4 bolt mains. sorry for the high jack.
opps looks like I should of looked at the op pictures. ok my question is can you get a x block with out motor mounts?

opps looks like I should of looked at the op pictures. ok my question is can you get a x block with out motor mounts?

Nope. Someone machined them off. First make damn sure it’s an X block and then don’t hand over any cash until you have it measured by a qualified machinist.

No problem, I'm I the middle of a couple things but I would be happy to give the details soon.

There is not much going on lately to read. Can you provide a brief description of how and when this block was used in its previous configuration?

The black block is mine. My buddy found it in Boise and it was brand new, in the box. If I told you what I paid for it you’d cry. Ok, it was eight 100 dollar bills. I snatched that up so fast it would have made your head spin.

I need to sonic test it (we have one now) before I stroke it. That was supposed to be done two years ago, but crap got in the way.

So fo now, it’s going back together with my ported iron heads, 11.77:1 compression, a Weiand tunnel ram with two BLP BX4 750’s. It will have a Hughes solid in it. I forget the numbers but @lead69 knows them off the top of his head.

By the fall of 2022 I’ll be getting ready to put the 3.79 stroke crank in there and add my W2 heads. I need to find a W2 tunnel ram, preferably the Holley Pro Dominator. That engine will be a 12:1 pump gas deal too.

@yellow rose
Really ? Found it in Boise for cheap ! Urgh ....

I didn’t find it. My buddy did. I don’t have that kind of luck. I called the guy and his biggest fear was I would buy it that cheap and then flip it for a profit. I told him I’m bringing 8 crisp, clean 100 dollar bills. There would be zero tire kicking or last minute haggling. And I promised I was going to use it myself. I actually sent him pictures of it going together, on the run in stand and then in then in the car so he could know I didn’t burn him.

I forgot to mention that when the 3.79 crank goes in it’s getting 5 Ritter billet main caps. I’ve had my hands on them and they are far, far better than other caps I’ve seen. And he moves the register out to the end of the cap so it’s not just outside of the center bolt holes.

And he centers the caps. Very nice stuff and the price is very good for the quality and finish of them.

I didn’t find it. My buddy did. I don’t have that kind of luck. I called the guy and his biggest fear was I would buy it that cheap and then flip it for a profit. I told him I’m bringing 8 crisp, clean 100 dollar bills. There would be zero tire kicking or last minute haggling. And I promised I was going to use it myself. I actually sent him pictures of it going together, on the run in stand and then in then in the car so he could know I didn’t burn him.

I forgot to mention that when the 3.79 crank goes in it’s getting 5 Ritter billet main caps. I’ve had my hands on them and they are far, far better than other caps I’ve seen. And he moves the register out to the end of the cap so it’s not just outside of the center bolt holes.

And he centers the caps. Very nice stuff and the price is very good for the quality and finish of them.

I need a buddy like that...

So the black and orange x block and the r block were both YR's, the other x block is a buddy's. The only one with factory drilled four bolt main caps is our buddy's x block, but all of them are getting billet four bolt main caps from Ritter. I ended up getting the r block and will be building it down the road.

As he said above YR's is going back together as a std. bore 340 for now and will get a stroker crank, solid roller and w2's down the road.

My r block will be built a later date but the plan is my trick flow heads, a solid cam (probably a roller), 4" crank, and whatever intake makes the best power on the dyno. It actually won't be anything to special n/a as its a street car but it will be able to handle enough nitrous to make 8-900 hp.

Our buddy's x block is getting a 4' crank, ported speed master heads with 2.05 valves, hughes 1.6 rockers,10.5 compression, custom comp hydraulic flat tappet 250/254 @.050 with around .575 lift, edelbrock tunnel ram and a pair of qft 750's. This is basically a run what he has now deal but he also has a set of w2's that will be going on it later with a solid roller.

The plan is to get him and Yr running for the summer and upgrade later. We also have a deal in the works on a complete engine dyno so it would give us all winter to test and tune the upgraded parts.

YR's blocks were both nos and we have no knowledge of what the other x block was used for other than it was definitely subject to a bottom end failure of some kind. It will get a sleeve and some other work and be good to go, it's sitting at 4.040 right now same as YR's, the r block is still 3.905.

I heard something about the dyno. It will be a great tool to have for sure. :thumbsup:
I hope you keep the steam up YR's *** to get his stuff going, he's too busy helping others.
He needs to enjoy retirement.

-
Back