2000 magnum

-

Rodsaknockin

Reaction score
Wondering what I can do to get some mileage and power out of a 2000 magnum 5.9 in a 3/4 ton 4x4 a/t this thing won't pull your hat off?

this thing won't pull your hat off?
What does that mean?

Anyways...... add a supercharger and keep your foot out of it for mileage. The super charger aids the engine in easy breathing thus increasing mileage. Ask other super charger owners. You’ll see.

Add headers and a better exhaust.

tell us more...cause my 94 D2500 Ram 8800 Gvw gets 19 miles to the gallon emply on the highway and 12 miles a gallon pulling a 24 ft enclose car trailer with a 71 Dart in it...

and we have real mountains out here...

This trucks get about 6 miles to the gallon and is just lazy my cousin has one and it is way better gets that 19/20 mpg. I cut the cat out and it was plugged help power some for sure. I was also going to order headers for it and dual it out it is a work truck of mine we only run it about 4 months of the year it hauls a 3000gallon sprayer around so I was expecting 15 mpg. It is low mileage about 160000km 100000miles I have a good maintenance schedule just changed plugs,wires ect stayed the same has lots of power out of the holes just very lazy at highway speeds the mileage is the biggest concern

if the fan clutch is locked up it will kill mileage and hp on the top end I have a 99 5.2 that is like that

Check the lower intake pan there famous for pulling oil in and causing internal vacuumed leak .

It is not lifted. Just a regular pick up. Now with the intake pan leaking it should burn some oil ? it doesn't use a bit of oil

Yes it does all stock except we cut the cat out of it because it was plugged up
Ok now the before and after sensors are getting the same reading. The computer is seeing this and knows it's not right. So it is either dumping fuel to it or starving it because it has a built in go to program that protects the engine from self destruct.
JMHO

Last edited:
Ok all the down stream o2 sensors do is read what’s coming out of the cats , I would check the fuel adaptive ‘s on the up stream and check what the I.A.C. Is doing if the I.A.C. Around 30 steps your golden any thing close to 0 . It’s got a vacuum leak , what is the coolant temp.sensor reading all have an effect on fuel , check fuel pressure could even be a bad regulator ? Let me know...

In a normal situation the downstream would be different from the Upstream. But since there's no catalytic converter they would both be reading the same.

A
In a normal situation the downstream would be different from the Upstream. But since there's no catalytic converter they would both be reading the same.
and the check engine light would be on , possibly masking other issues ,you gotta remember it’s early o.b.d. They were a lot more forgiving

Downstream o2s
Monitor emissions only. They dont affect mileage or performance.
Check your fuel pressure too.
Not sure how its regulated,but the older ones were a returnless system and if reg goes bad and pushes pressure up, mileage and performance go down. Mind you, it would give you a rich condition.
Low pressure will drive injector pulse time up.
Nother thing to look at is
Coolant temp sensor.
160,000 is low to warrant a new timing chain,the one i just did a chain on had just under 300,000 KM’s on it and chain wasnt bad.
Seen worse. Changed it as timing cover was leaking.

also make sure its reaching normal running temps 195

Maybe the OP just thinks it’s slow, I mean it’s a 4x4 truck, there doesn’t have to be anything wrong with it to be called slow. I’d make certain the engine is worthy of any upgrade by doing a compression test and by using an accurate oil pressure gauge. Then just treat it like any other engine. Add RHS heads, bigger efi-capable cam, headers, intake, chip. What are the axle gearing ratios and tire size?

Fuel mileage is the same as before removing the cat. operating temp is normal 190-195 there are no codes or check engine lights.engine does not burn any oil A old 6.5 turbo diesel of mine has better get up and go than the dodge and the chev is a 1996 1 ton dually 4x4 with 300000km

I don't think it's possible to get decent mileage from a 5.9 . I have one in my Dakota , gets 13 mpg on a good going down hill with a tail wind . I put in a mileage program and that was a joke . You realize that as the engine wears the mileage goes down . the 5.9 was never designed as a mileage motor but as a sorta performance piece used for pulling a load . A 5.2 is more suited to the mileage issue . I have gotten 20+ with my 5.2 on flat highway with cruise control set at 55mph . When the 5.7Hemi came out it was a game changer as far as performance and mileage is concerned . It's just the design , good luck

I think I'm going to put some headers on it and maybe advance the camshaft 4-8degrees and get a programmer for it see if I can't make it a bit better on the mileage end of things if it got double the mileage I was now I would be ok with considering it is a work truck and only driven 4-6 months of the year it has 265/85-17 rubber on it and 3:73 ratio don't want to give up on it because of mileage the rest of the truck is sounds

That's a fair start . You can gain some of it by cutting down the rolling resistance (narrower tread tires , touring tires) increasing tire pressure ( not above spec), thinner oil and others . Headers won't help unless you change the program and include high flow cat(s) . The single most effective mileage help you can give it is to slow down and ease into the throttle .

My '01 5.9 Ram 2500 2wd gets 18 mpg. It's got 253,*** miles. It has what I'd expect for power. I don't expect it to tow like a 700 ft lbs of torque cummins. That would be ridiculous.
This is when it reached 250k.

My '01 5.9 Ram 2500 2wd gets 18 mpg. It's got 253,*** miles. It has what I'd expect for power. I don't expect it to tow like a 700 ft lbs of torque cummins. That would be ridiculous.
This is when it reached 250k.

Your truck would stomp the guts out of mine

-
Back