2009 5.7 Carb Conversion ?'s

-

Cevidicus

CevidiGrinch
Reaction score
I posted this in new Inertia Motorsports forum but I also wanted to post it here to see what y'all think as the new forum may not get as much traffic.

I intend to install this engine into a '72 Demon (/6 auto, low optioned).
At first, I just want to get it going with the minimum expense over the next year or so. It has to have disk brakes up front, be street legal, fun and Cheap. 8 3/4 (3.91's), auto with column shift, bench seat, stock exaust manifolds and so on... With the input from the folks of this forum, I'm sure that it will be an evil :snakeman: ride for the money.

If anyone has any links or other info please post them.

Is there anybody else doing this?

But for now I need to find out more about this engine..... It has a few unique features the the gen 1 5.7 does not.

"I recently bought a 2009 5.7 engine for a low budget engine swap project. :toothy10: It came out of a 09 Ram 4x4 with about 9k miles. I intend to run it carburated, but I have a few specific questions.

What style intake manifold should be used? One designed for a 6.1?
I want to run an Indy ModMan with a single 4bbl carb. I like this intake because it could be upgraded and modified in the future and is about the same price as standard 4bbl intakes(XV, MP).

What exhaust manifolds? Will stock 6.1 manifolds work effectively as far as matching up to the ports on the 09 5.7 heads? I understand that there may be clearance issues. What about headers?

What should I do about the VVT feature of the cam? Is there a way to control and use this feature with a carb set up? Or would it be best to remove it? If so, how would that be done? What would you suggest? I was thinking it would be cool if there was a way that it could be controlled by a simple system (rotary dial) in the cab of the car.

What cam would you reccamend for the stock heads and springs. I read somewhere that the springs should be good to .560 lift? Will an '08 down cam work or is the '09 up cam different?

I plan to run the MSD HEMI 6 ignition controller and wiring harness. Do you have any alternate suggestions?

What about MDS system elimination? How is this accomplished?

I know that I will have to change oil pan etc but is there anything not mentioned above that you see as a concern? My plan is to only change what is needed to get it driving at first...... If the cam swap will not a big hassle that will be done as well.

Thanks in advance for your input. I am sure that it will be invaluable to many here as time goes on."

MARTIN :burnout:

Off the top of my pointed little head the mds has to go with the carb setup (might be wrong on that but doubtful). Modman intake is perfect for future upgrades, get it. The vvt cam with a carb, gotta go along with the lifters ( I could be wrong). Exhaust manifolds...6.1 ports will not match up to the 5.7, but people use them all the time, so go for it, or get some headers ( better off with the headers). MSD will work fine, but call them to get the low down, they will be able to provide better info than I. Now, what type of trans, 4-5-6 stick, or small block mopar, late model overdrive mopar, gotta know these things BEFORE you start cuase it will lead to alot of wasted money if ya dont have a plan from the get go. More people will answer your post with more (BETTER) info than what I have given ya.

Thanks for your input, 5.7.

I was thinking about a small block 727 or 904 with conversion flex plate, adapter and a converter to match engine. I think this will be the most cost effective and simplest way to go. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What years 727 or 904 would be best to look for?

The trans and engine will be the last things to be finalized.... Because it all depends on the engine specs(cam, etc).

I still have alot to learn about the new 'Eagle' 5.7 engine and its set up in this application. :read2: Looks as if though I may be the first :clock: for now.

You are definately right about having a goal and a plan to get there. That is one of the wonderfull things about this site. I can state my plans and the FABO community can let me know how badly I am about to screw up. (I have been know to do that from time to time.) Then I can adjust the course and get it right the first time.

All in all this will be a very frugal build with the exception of the engine. No money to do anything over. But come on, how cool is a 5.7 in a Demon? Very cool. Worth every bit (to me at least).

Right now I am still gathering parts and working out a plan of attack. PRINE and I just picked up a slew of good parts for our projects......F & R seats, window moldings.....and so on.

Thanks!

I'm not too knowledgeable on the best or worst years for the 727 or 904, but either will be fine.

Get the trans from the ram and the computer, buy a $1000 harness and use the MDS, and the VVT and get close to 400hp and 25mpg!

Using the 09 trans is out of the question as it was already sold and for a 4x4. The factory computer was damaged as was much of the wiring etc. I was also told that it would be "a major undertaking" to use the factory ecu as it is tied into the entire vehicle on '09's.

Check out what Stu says in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=901975#post901975

It's advisable by the people that program these PCM's for our application (B&G, or hotwire auto) to get the 04 Ram truck PCM that had the manual transmission. Whatever the reason EXACTLY is (I have a vague idea), this is the computer to use.
It will run the 5.7/6.1 as is (I hear) but a better tune can be done by one of the companies above.

Pick up a harness from hotwire auto, pay them for the PCM if you wish to as well (or send them one you buy), and it's all done for you. Including EFI.

Using the 09 trans is out of the question as it was already sold and for a 4x4. The factory computer was damaged as was much of the wiring etc. I was also told that it would be "a major undertaking" to use the factory ecu as it is tied into the entire vehicle on '09's.

Check out what Stu says in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=901975#post901975

Any truck trans will work fine and if you get a 4x4 trans, get the 2 wheel drive conversion kit for around 250 and your in business.

After an intense discussion with a guy from work today about why I'm going 5.7 instead of an LA or RB, I read this:

"You have to be able to tell yourself, I want a 5.7L even though it costs more. Because I want it... not because of price." hemijoejr

That about sums it up.
Even though my swap is a bit more involved than most I'm gonna do it because I want to. Because I can. I see no point in building something that I am not gonna be satified with just because it is "simpler and cheaper" to go with the old technology.

........ A voice at a gas station calls out in a smart *** tone, " Hey, that thing got a Hemi in it?" I respond with a grin, Hell Yea it does!".

Hey everyone, the biggest diff is the VVT vs. the pre-09. It is quite complicated and different. Has anyone seen an 09+ swapped yet?

I really would like to see/hear from a 1st hand account.

Currently I know of nobody who has used a VVT in their swap.

-
Back