2012 Dodge RES radio/CD repair

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
The stock CD player in so many later models has RES in the lower right corner, it's the base line stereo offering no sat, nav or phone support. Often the radio just stops working (no sound) although the CD and the AUX port work just fine. Many posts on the internet tell you to wire up your antenna feed to take pressure off the jack or resolder the antenna jack, thats BS. If the antenna was at fault why does the stereo indicator still light up and stations still seek to the next strongest one? The actual problem lies in the radio chip on the mainboard. You must take the top plate off, unclip the front fascia panel, remove the 4 T-10 screws holding the CD player in and then unplug that from the mainboard. The radio chip is the small square chip directly inline with the antenna feed, about 3 inches back on the board. You can't miss it above the large capacitor. (photo Allpar)

DSCF3011.jpg

The issue is cold solder joints on the pins and the slight flex of the board that the "supported antenna cable" may provide may in fact make it work again but its no fix as it will eventually relax and fail again. All you need to do is reflow the chip with a soldering iron or heat gun or whatever your comfortable with. I hit the chip with a fine tip hot air gun @ 400F for about 4 seconds on each side and the radio hasn't missed a beat since. If you only have an iron, check the pins on the side closest to the capacitor, some looked rather dull gray instead of shiny silver, evidence of a cold solder joint. Use some flux to aid in solder adhesion, no more solder is necessary, just flow what is there. Good luck, worked for me.

-
Back