2015 6.4 Hemi

-
Cams go bad on new engines too?? I thought that was the advantage of newer motors?
I think they may have changed something in the past couple years, not positive. The early Hemi’s (03-08) had issues with valve seats. The 09+ are the ones with potential cam/lifter issues.

I think the MDS is rough on these cams otherwise they usually dont have issues...from what I have read, hope someone who knows chimes in.

I have worked on my fair share of these engines. It's not only the MDS lobes that fail.

Cams go bad on new engines too?? I thought that was the advantage of newer motors?
It seems that cams in 6.4 truck engine get wiped out due excessive idling since they are mostly in commercial vehicles. I recently picked up a 2018 6.4 core with a bad cam for 650 dollars (the core charge) the motor has about 100 k on it . Tore it down to inspect and the crank and bearings where in great shape. I was surprised to find piston squirters. So if you were able to score yours for 250 good deal.

It seems that cams in 6.4 truck engine get wiped out due excessive idling since they are mostly in commercial vehicles. I recently picked up a 2018 6.4 core with a bad cam for 650 dollars (the core charge) the motor has about 100 k on it . Tore it down to inspect and the crank and bearings where in great shape. I was surprised to find piston squirters. So if you were able to score yours for 250 good deal.

The cams get wiped out but the truck motors have better heads and lifters right?

Nobody KNOWS what is causing the cam/lifter problems. Some think it's caused by excessive idling; some think it's caused by VVT and/or cylinder deactivation design. UTG thinks it's because of the lifter geometry; some think it's caused by defective lifter rollers.
Personally I think most of the problems are caused by poor maintenance, extended oil change intervals, poor quality oil/wrong weight oil and poor quality filters.

Ok I got it in my possession.

7A95D4FA-63BE-451A-91B6-EE559E1AFEEB.jpeg

Cool deal! Congrats! Now you need a 68 dart to put it in and have a 68 Hemi dart!

Screw it! Go for it! Danm the torpedos!
Full HEMI speed ahead!
I guess you were impressed with the ride:steering:. Once all the install bs is done, its surprising how drama free it is. Oh, Rob I reset the rev limiter to 7200, still pulls

I guess you were impressed with the ride:steering:. Once all the install bs is done, its surprising how drama free it is. Oh, Rob I reset the rev limiter to 7200, still pulls
He has me on ignore… for what ever reason it was/is.

It is an impressive street car. No doubt. Well done and well executed. It really is super nice everywhere and if anyone here seen it live, I’d bet most would cream there pants and wished they could own.

Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to be able to ride shotgun down a track with the tires wired down for some serious grip which the asphalt doesn’t give.

The best part was bouncing off the rev limiter and the top end charge. Oh yea! That was fun!

He has me on ignore… for what ever reason it was/is.

It is an impressive street car. No doubt. Well done and well executed. It really is super nice everywhere and if anyone here seen it live, I’d bet most would cream there pants and wished they could own.

Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to be able to ride shotgun down a track with the tires wired down for some serious grip which the asphalt doesn’t give.

The best part was bouncing off the rev limiter and the top end charge. Oh yea! That was fun!
Glad you enjoyed,thanks for the kudos . As for the dragstrip ridealong.....one of us would have to travel. It may happen.

Glad you enjoyed,thanks for the kudos . As for the dragstrip ridealong.....one of us would have to travel. It may happen.
After all the money I’m spending and about to spend, I’ll have to save for that trip. So worth it, it would be.

-
Back