2018 Small Block Race...... join the Fun

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
WELCOME... quick set of rules for the 1/4 mile race...
1). Car must be 100% street and remain that way at time trial. Street means pump gas, and cruising 1/2 hour at 55 mph on summer day is no problem. No open headers/slicks
2). No Power adders (boost/NOS/high octane fuel)
3). Definition of "worked heads" mentioned in the penalty box means milling over .010, any porting/gasket matching or larger valves
4). traction devices including DOT drag tires are ok. No penalty
5). hood scoops, fresh air, ok. No penalty
6). Any ignition upgrades ok, No penalty
7). Honesty, just be honest. No purse, so keep your integrity :)

Getting started.....
  1. Penalty Box.... open the PDF and go through line by line. Please read carefully and make the proper deductions.
  2. Post your car (pictures are more fun). Include your build, weight, and dial index.
  3. When you make a pass, post a picture of your E.T. slip (video is awesome).
  4. Any changes/improvements just update!

Attachments

• Penalty box PDF.pdf
    379.2 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Entries and Updates...... I'll have to post updates in a new post. I communicated with Joey, and there is nothing we can do. After a week, I'll not be able to edit this post any longer.
sorry, can't get a link in here that i'm able to update
:BangHead:

I wanted the standings to be in the 2nd post so everyone will have easy access and not have to scroll through the thread to "find" the latest updates to the participants and standings. I will add an updated list to every page in a new post.

Attachments

• entries PDF.pdf
    187.4 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
318willrun........:thumbsup:
74 Plymouth Duster
318/904 (stock converter)/2.76 gears
318 build:
4bbl 670 holley/street dominator intake (- .4)
summit cam K50052 ( -.4)
home ported heads (-.4)
3180 lbs rounded to 3200 (-.1)

Dial Index - 14.6

dscn0859-jpg.jpg

my duster at dragway.jpg

DSCN0932.JPG

Last edited:
can u clarify rule 3. I drove to the track and back, 100 miles each way and ran 12.5. weight 3040, 360 cubes, 93 octane, Mcreary dirt tires, 4.88 gears, 625 avs, 2.5" mufflers

can u clarify rule 3.
I edited the original post to make it more clear.
Rule 3 is what is considered "worked" heads
. There is a penalty for worked heads in the penalty box.
  • IF you ported them (at home or shop), even just "opening up the bowls", they are worked.
  • IF you gasket matched them, they are worked.
  • IF you cut them more the .010 they are worked.
  • IF you installed larger valves they are worked.
Also, heads are placed in categories in the penalty box, just take the deduction for your heads.

Last edited:
Just finalized the deal on a Satellite with a 318, so count me in. Sounds like fun trying to get what we can out of our setups.

Based on the penalty box above, I gotta run a 13.4. This will be the first time to the track for me and this car! I'm really looking forward to it! This is a full weight street cruiser that will have working A/C and everything by the time I hit the track. I'll weigh it this spring and adjust my time if necessary.

- 360 with a 670 street avenger, unknown cam, Performer 318/360 intake and stock rotating assembly from 76.
- A-500 trans and a 3.23 geared 8 1/4" rear with a sure grip (If I have time, I'll have a 4.10 geared 8 3/4 in the back for this year and I'll adjust for that too)

Cley
20170930_194137.jpg

Based on the penalty box above, I gotta run a 13.4. This will be the first time to the track for me and this car! I'm really looking forward to it! This is a full weight street cruiser that will have working A/C and everything by the time I hit the track. I'll weigh it this spring and adjust my time if necessary.

- 360 with a 670 street avenger, unknown cam, Performer 318/360 intake and stock rotating assembly from 76.
- A-500 trans and a 3.23 geared 8 1/4" rear with a sure grip (If I have time, I'll have a 4.10 geared 8 3/4 in the back for this year and I'll adjust for that too)

Cley
View attachment 1715135620
NICE!! :thumbsup: About all you can do on the cam, means you don't know what it is, is take the .4 deduction because it's pretty certain it wouldn't be a 318 cam :)

Last edited:
no strokers... :sniffle:
LOL.... well, noth'n against strokers, however, it would just complicate the penalty box. I'd have to scrap "factory motors" and make a cubic inch chart, which would be extensive, and would probably go from the slants to big blocks.

........ but you don't have anything with a 273-360 engine???? Pickup, Van.... anything? :D

Okay I did the math. My index would be 12.80. Do I have to run close to that or can I beat it?

3,200 no driver -.1
3.54 geared Dana 60 -.3
5.9 Magnum -.3
750 Holley DP -.4
Summit headers -.4
EQ Heads -.6
Comp cam -.6
3,800 conv. -.4

I will have one more chance to race this car naturally aspirated in March before I tear it down to add Procharger. Can I play with my NA timeslips from March when I run?

Okay I did the math. My index would be 12.80. Do I have to run close to that or can I beat it?

3,200 no driver -.1
3.54 geared Dana 60 -.3
5.9 Magnum -.3
750 Holley DP -.4
Summit headers -.4
EQ Heads -.6
Comp cam -.6
3,800 conv. -.4

I will have one more chance to race this car naturally aspirated in March before I tear it down to add Procharger. Can I play with my NA timeslips from March when I run?

I'll try to go through this in order:
  • Beat your dial index if you can...
  • you missed subtracting .6 for having a 360 C.I. The -.3 you did was for your block being a magnum.
  • your 3800 stall is a -.7 deduction instead of -.4. You must have not scrolled down to the 2nd page of the box.
  • This would make your dial index 11.90. If you did get the deduction for the 360, then you'd need a 12.50 because of the converter.
  • You can make your run(s) anytime in 2018.
Hope this helps.... thanks. Let me know if I can add you to the list! :)

I'll try to go through this in order:
  • Beat your dial index if you can...
  • you missed subtracting .6 for having a 360 C.I. The -.3 you did was for your block being a magnum.
  • your 3800 stall is a -.7 deduction instead of -.4. You must have not scrolled down to the 2nd page of the box.
  • This would make your dial index 11.90. If you did get the deduction for the 360, then you'd need a 12.50 because of the converter.
  • You can make your run(s) anytime in 2018.
Hope this helps.... thanks. Let me know if I can add you to the list! :)

Yes you can add me to the list. Also, the race I'm doing in March is 1/8th mile is this quarter only? If so, I can get it to Bowling Green before I tear it down. I Think the car is capable of 11.90 but it would have to be really good air!

Yes you can add me to the list. Also, the race I'm doing in March is 1/8th mile is this quarter only? If so, I can get it to Bowling Green before I tear it down. I Think the car is capable of 11.90 but it would have to be really good air!
Great! Glad to have you. I added you to the list! I put down 11.9 as your dial index, but if it's wrong, we can change it. You can visit the box again, make sure it's right. Top of my head, wouldn't 3.54 gears be minus 5 tenths also? Anyways, I didn't put a post number by your name for your car in case you wanted to do a post with a picture and the correct dial index.
  • Yeah, it's tough to hit the dial index, but last year our winner went 12.20 on a 12.20 index. I came up .3 short of mine .. :D I'm sure somebody will get past theirs this year, because it's just a generic box.

Last edited:
Also, the race I'm doing in March is 1/8th mile is this quarter only? If so, I can get it to Bowling Green before I tear it down.
Yes, 1/4 only. No real way for me to break down for 1/8 vs 1/4.

You are right, 3.54 gears should have been -.5. Guess that puts me at an 11.70 index from my math. Here is the a picture of the car launching. Only change is I run Black Steel wheels all the way around now.

Dart 12.PNG

Dart 10.JPG

LOL.... well, noth'n against strokers, however, it would just complicate the penalty box. I'd have to scrap "factory motors" and make a cubic inch chart, which would be extensive, and would probably go from the slants to big blocks.

........ but you don't have anything with a 273-360 engine???? Pickup, Van.... anything? :D
Negative... Old 360 in the dart took a digger, so 410 took it's place. Still looks like fun, so i'll be watching the thread :thumbsup:

Sounds fun. Never made a pass in the car. Just finished it, (kind of) last summer.

So my local track's elevation is 919ft. Would you round that up to 1000ft and give me the +.2 ?

Sounds fun. Never made a pass in the car. Just finished it, (kind of) last summer.

So my local track's elevation is 919ft. Would you round that up to 1000ft and give me the +.2 ?
We would be glad to have ya. Be sure to go through the penalty box and take the proper deductions/additions from both pages. If you go through line by line, it's easy as pie and takes about 2 minutes.
And... LOL.. I think the elevation rule is "add .2 every 1000 ft, use the front digit, no rounding.." I wrote it this way because the next guy will say "I'm at 890 ft. That's only 29 ft away from him, can I add?" You'll find, like most of us, some add/subtract will work in your favor, and some you'll be close and won't make the cut :D It's a generic box that get's us close enough that all can compete and mostly, have fun!

If you are in, let me know and I'll add ya to the list

Ok. Im in but you know this is going to be like handing a crack pipe to a junkie. I haven't been to a track in over 15 years. So i will be hooked again. Lol

This is what I came up with.
360 .040 over
4 bbl
Headers
Cam summit # sum-k50052
Stock 904 and converter
2.76 gears
Stock heads no work on them

Not sure on the weight so I may need to +/- for that.

13.7 would be my goal et.

20170712_193454_HDR.jpg

20170711_175718_HDR.jpg

Ok. Im in but you know this is going to be like handing a crack pipe to a junkie. I haven't been to a track in over 15 years. So i will be hooked again. Lol

This is what I came up with.
360 .040 over
4 bbl
Headers
Cam summit # sum-k50052
Stock 904 and converter
2.76 gears
Stock heads no work on them

Not sure on the weight so I may need to +/- for that.

13.7 would be my goal et.

View attachment 1715144651

View attachment 1715144656
Glad to have ya !!!!!!
Remember, 318 2bbl is the nominal motor. 15.9 is nominal time
deductions
.6 - 360 block
.4 - overbore
.4 - 4bbl
.4 - cam
.4 - headers
.4 - heads (unless they are stock 318 heads)

13.30 is your dial index, until you weigh it.

-
Back