2020 Small Block Penalty Box Race Sign Up

-
goal is to go as fast as you can. IF your "dial index" was 16.8, then if you ran a 16.5, you'd be 2 tenths faster than your index. But, you have to go through the entire penalty box, adding or subtracting from your ET (starting with 15.9) for each item. Pretty easy. So you might add for your weight, but have to subtract for a 4bbl, subtract for 3.23 gears, but add again for a 727 tranny. just an example
Gotcha.

Alright I'll jump in for the poly boys.

1964 Polara rust bucket
Weight estimated at 4200 pounds, will get exact figures later.- +.9
2.76 rear gears.=TDC
Tires 27inch= TDC
Elevation is 680 ft above seal level= TDC
318 Poly= TDC
factory 4 barrel= -.4
Stock Exhaust= TDC
Rest of engine is stock = TDC
Stock 727 PB= +.3
Stock Converter= TDC

Total: 16.7

Humm, I dunno about some of the index adjustments. If I read this correctly, If I put a set of Speedmaster heads on a bone stock 318 2bbl, I will cut .8 off my 1/4 mile time?

Humm, I dunno about some of the index adjustments. If I read this correctly, If I put a set of Speedmaster heads on a bone stock 318 2bbl, I will cut .8 off my 1/4 mile time?
I think it's assumed if you put SM heads on your car, you've probably built matching components.

The maths worked out to 11.8...my best pass was an 11.97 near the end of the season with a DA closer to actual elevation. Hoping to get a bar put in next month in preparation for a stroker in the coming years-expecting the added weight to cost me some ET. Can't put a price on safety though I guess (unless you're my chassis guy)

The maths worked out to 11.8...my best pass was an 11.97 near the end of the season with a DA closer to actual elevation. Hoping to get a bar put in next month in preparation for a stroker in the coming years-expecting the added weight to cost me some ET. Can't put a price on safety though I guess (unless you're my chassis guy)
wow.... shows how close the chart gets it... :)

I think it's assumed if you put SM heads on your car, you've probably built matching components.
Matching components...yes. But I think the gist of the question is alluding to is that not all aluminum heads are equal but are getting an equal penalty. Would a set of SM heads equally compare to a set of Victor or Trick Flow heads?

Matching components...yes. But I think the gist of the question is alluding to is that not all aluminum heads are equal but are getting an equal penalty. Would a set of SM heads equally compare to a set of Victor or Trick Flow heads?
I think this is a "ball park" penalty box that allows all people to play and have a chance. Be it a '77 318 2bbl 4x4 truck, or a 340 Duster that's hopped up, you have a chance to be competitive. To break every aspect of every build down to a science would have 15 pages of charts to sift through, and then what about air quality of two tracks at the same altitude? ? ? . As it states, no prizes, no entry fee, it's just for funs.

It's very possible to be at the back end of almost every penalty and end up with a charted time that is virtually impossible for your car to achieve... Ask me how I know...

I think this is a "ball park" penalty box that allows all people to play and have a chance. Be it a '77 318 2bbl 4x4 truck, or a 340 Duster that's hopped up, you have a chance to be competitive. To break every aspect of every build down to a science would have 15 pages of charts to sift through, and then what about air quality of two tracks at the same altitude? ? ? . As it states, no prizes, no entry fee, it's just for funs.
One thing I’m not clear on, how is the “winner” decided?

I think a better question is how was the original time figured out of a 15-9 or whatever for a automatic 318 car weighing 3300lbs?...

I think a better question is how was the original time figured out of a 15-9 or whatever for a automatic 318 car weighing 3300lbs?...
Pretty sure that was the factory advertised e/t

Pretty sure that was the factory advertised e/t
THat came from the original 318 race I did in 2017. I ran a stone-stock 318 2bbl in a B-body and ran a 15.9. 904/2.94

Dany and I are in!!!
We made a LOT of changes since 2018 so hang on..
Weight =3300
Gear =3.55 -.5
Magnum 360 block -.9
4bbl -.4
Headers -.4
EQ heads -.6
Cam -.6
Converter -.4
Total penalty = 12.1
We are at the bottom of all the penalties so Dany has her work cut out for her this year!!
Her best last year with the above motor and the stock converter was 14.54 @ 97.70 so she is gonna need to work on that '60 foot time!!!!
If I can goad her younger brother into it we will enter him too.
20190811_102336.jpg

Dany and I are in!!!
Weight =3300
Gear =3.55 -.5
Magnum 360 block -.9
4bbl -.4
Headers -.4
EQ heads -.6
Cam -.6
Converter -.4
Total penalty = 12.1
We are at the bottom of all the penalties so Dany has her work cut out for her this year!!
Her best last year with the above motor and the stock converter was 14.54 @ 97.70 so she is gonna need to work on that '60 foot time!!!!
If I can goad her younger brother into it we will enter him too.View attachment 1715452216
cheering for ya! you did pretty good last year.... :)
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AutzHxVbMu5mgc9Quuw06MM0ygwbmQ

Look at the penalty box attachment in post one or it is also in post 2.
Figure out what additions or deduction you need to make. List it and your index in a post.

68 dart gt, 3350 lbs, 3.91 gears, 26.5 tires, 1000 elevation, 340, 4bbl, headers, j heads, .555 lift cam, 3.31 stroke, 904, 4500 tc, stock vb. 12.00 index. I'm not close. But it will keep me motivated. I need to lose some weight.

I would love to "play", but as I read down the list of penalties I noticed it says 93 octane....my car is a street car, but it runs on e85. :(

I would love to "play", but as I read down the list of penalties I noticed it says 93 octane....my car is a street car, but it runs on e85. :(
that is interesting...…. E85.... What do you think the gains are for E85 ? Not horsepower, but ET wise?

Dany and I are in!!!
Weight =3300
Gear =3.55 -.5
Magnum 360 block -.9
4bbl -.4
Headers -.4
EQ heads -.6
Cam -.6
Converter -.4
Total penalty = 12.1

I agree. The 97.70 suggests there is more E.T. in that car.

My best last year was a 14.61. The mph on that pass was 91.99. I do however have these...

I agree. The 97.70 suggests there is more E.T. in that car.

My best last year was a 14.61. The mph on that pass was 91.99. I do however have these...
The were on our to do list...then the trans went.
We have an A998 we are building for it but I ruptured my Achilles pushing my sons truck (a Ford, for the record!!!) So finishing that is on hold for the moment.
If we don't have the $$$ after the trans for drag radials I may take a page out of 318willrun's playbook and try slapper bars!!!

-
Back