20psi stock 5.9 carnage

-

TT5.9mag

Two atmospheres are better than one
Reaction score
He’s a member here but I can’t remember his screen name. His 5.9 magnum let go making 20 pounds of boost and this video is the tear down. Enjoy.

I've been going back all evening lookin at that. I just don't know what to say.

that's a whole: i'm not mad, i'm impressed kind of situation.

that kind of power at what was it, 3700? wow...

Really considering ordering a torqstorm for my stock 318... was wondering what that can take. i would only want 5-6psi though :) Also.. not sure if i can keep power steering with it..

Not sure why @DNasty777 would disagree with the video, I find that funny. I was impressed by the amount of torque the stock stuff held up to also, and I kind of agree with the rod bolts being the source of the failure. That’s if I had to pick one thing to blame it on. @Icetech almost any stock engine will take 5-6 pounds of boost for a long, long time and be perfectly fine, IF you put a little ring gap in it and keep the tune up in check.

There’s another member (maybe the same one) who cranked a stock late seventies 360 LA up the same amount and never did break it. Proof that if you can avoid detonation, you can get by with a lot more than you think you can!

Not sure why @DNasty777 would disagree with the video, I find that funny. I was impressed by the amount of torque the stock stuff held up to also, and I kind of agree with the rod bolts being the source of the failure. That’s if I had to pick one thing to blame it on. @Icetech almost any stock engine will take 5-6 pounds of boost for a long, long time and be perfectly fine, IF you put a little ring gap in it and keep the tune up in check.

Just a fat finger on mobile. Love what they are doing with the magnum and hemi.

Just imagine how long it would have lasted on 8 PSI.

But that’s not as fun rusty!
Well, I'm just not impressed with tearing stuff up. Never have been. It makes people look pretty unintelligent. Anybody can tear something up. 20 PSI on a stock engine. Who wouldn't know it would grenade itself? And then to make a video more or less saying "huh huh huh, look what we did, huh huh huh". Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead. I've struggled and sacrificed with every project I've ever had and taken as good care of them as I possibly could. When I see somebody blatantly abuse something, I'm not impressed.

Well, I'm just not impressed with tearing stuff up. Never have been. It makes people look pretty unintelligent. Anybody can tear something up. 20 PSI on a stock engine. Who wouldn't know it would grenade itself? And then to make a video more or less saying "huh huh huh, look what we did, huh huh huh". Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead. I've struggled and sacrificed with every project I've ever had and taken as good care of them as I possibly could. When I see somebody blatantly abuse something, I'm not impressed.
I agree.. that's why i don't watch stuff like roadkill anymore, just build **** to see it explode for no reason..

I agree.. that's why i don't watch stuff like roadkill anymore, just build **** to see it explode for no reason..
Just ask @Johnny Mac about the supply of LA and Magnum cores. ....and they have NO PLANS to cast new blocks like they do Fords and Chevys. .....and there are people out there just wasting them to waste them. I just don't understand the mentality. ....and I don't watch any of that stuff, either.

Just ask @Johnny Mac about the supply of LA and Magnum cores. ....and they have NO PLANS to cast new blocks like they do Fords and Chevys. .....and there are people out there just wasting them to waste them. I just don't understand the mentality. ....and I don't watch any of that stuff, either.
Yeah... i'm looking for a 360 core near me right now.. it's like $800 for garbage that has been sitting in the rain for years already. I have time though..

Yeah... i'm looking for a 360 core near me right now.. it's like $800 for garbage that has been sitting in the rain for years already. I have time though..
Like me looking for 225 cores. I have like 6 170s but I am somewhat 225 poor. I guess slant sixes are enjoying a resurgence, because even the crap ones I find are 350 bucks. Locked up piles of rust. People used to give them away.....and there SURE won't be any of those ever made again.

Like me looking for 225 cores. I have like 6 170s but I am somewhat 225 poor. I guess slant sixes are enjoying a resurgence, because even the crap ones I find are 350 bucks. Locked up piles of rust. People used to give them away.....and there SURE won't be any of those ever made again.
225 a bigger bore or stroke or both?

225 a bigger bore or stroke or both?
Believe it or don't, the 170, 198 and 225 all take the same piston. Their strokes and connecting rod length is what differs. The 225 has a massive 4.125" stroke. lol

Just imagine how long it would have lasted on 8 PSI.
If you never go to 20 psi you’ll never know if it will live at 8 psi. Someone has to find the breaking point. And do it without making a tuning mistake. I say well done sir. They made millions of magnum blocks, they’re not scarce. Tearing stuff up just for the sake of tearing stuff up I agree is dumb. But we can all learn from this guy and I thank him for it. Look at all the stupid threads about “how much will a stock LA Block hold?” There’s only one way to find out. He’s not bragging about abusing junk. He’s pushing it to the limit of the strength of the components to know where that line is.

If you never go to 20 psi you’ll never know if it will live at 8 psi. Someone has to find the breaking point. And do it without making a tuning mistake. I say well done sir. They made millions of magnum blocks, they’re not scarce. Tearing stuff up just for the sake of tearing stuff up I agree is dumb. But we can all learn from this guy and I thank him for it. Look at all the stupid threads about “how much will a stock LA Block hold?” There’s only one way to find out. He’s not bragging about abusing junk. He’s pushing it to the limit of the strength of the components to know where that line is.
I don't discount what he's done. And no, running 20 PSI isn't the only way to know. Everyone here already knew a stock Mopar engine could not hold 20 PSI and if they didn't then they might need to start their learning process over. Good for him. I'm glad he did it, too, but it's still abuse no matter how you slice it.

I gave a 225 away just last fall. It was locked up and I even knocked it apart before I gave it away.

Ok, I thought it was a 198 and was going to sell the connecting rods, but still...

:D

I don't discount what he's done. And no, running 20 PSI isn't the only way to know. Everyone here already knew a stock Mopar engine could not hold 20 PSI and if they didn't then they might need to start their learning process over. Good for him. I'm glad he did it, too, but it's still abuse no matter how you slice it.
I didn’t say it was the only way to know. How bout you tell us how to find the limit of a stock bottom end. I’ll wait.

Saying everyone here already knew a stock mopar engine couldn’t hold 20psi is an assumption and is wrong. I’ve run more than 20psi on a stock La 318 and a stock 5.7 hemi.

I didn’t say it was the only way to know. How bout you tell us how to find the limit of a stock bottom end. I’ll wait.

Saying everyone here already knew a stock mopar engine couldn’t hold 20psi is an assumption and is wrong. I’ve run more than 20psi on a stock La 318 and a stock 5.7 hemi.
If you say so. I won't argue. I can agree to disagree and move on.

There is no shortage of Magnum cores. Magnum engines are plentiful in the junk yards. Here in Michigan we have lots of Magnum equipped trucks, vans, Durangos, and Dakotas cycling through the yards on a regular basis. Even the early year trucks that still have LA oiling come through the yards on a regular basis. If any shop wanted Magnum blocks they can work with the parts locator network and have all the Magnums they want. The real issue is supply and demand. There is lots of supply, but not as much demand from people willing to pony up the price of new crate engine. If you have 2000 guys begging for Chevy engines to be built and 200 guys begging for Mopar engines, which one takes priority?

If I had the free time, I would be listing Magnum 360 engines here all the time just to get them back out there.

-
Back