22” radiator, do they keep up

-

Reaction score
I’m curious if the 22” rads keep up in stop and go traffic and ac on ? I currently have a 26” rad but 22” opening ( that’s what the car came with), works great but I need a new rad and would like to go to a 22”. Cutting the rad support is not an option.

I’m curious if the 22” rads keep up in stop and go traffic and ac on ? I currently have a 26” rad but 22” opening ( that’s what the car came with), works great but I need a new rad and would like to go to a 22”. Cutting the rad support is not an option.
What is the cubic in displacement is the engine you are trying to cool?
What type of fan are you using?
Auto or manual transmission?
What is your rear axle gear ratio?

I run a 22 inch radiator made by Griffin
340, 727, with factory A/C
No problems

I'd rather have the additional radiator even if it's partially shrouded by the radiator support.

I know you said trimming isn't an option but done right you can't tell it's been opened.

The right 22" will out perform a stock 26" (before the flaming starts I said the RIGHT 22")

Tube size, rows, fin count, material (Aluminum is not necessarily the best choice) etc.

watch this video, very informative

As was said earlier , a 22" rad will cool your Hemi if you select the proper one . The right accessories need to be employed as well . A 4 row will not necessarlly cool better than a 2 or 3 row . And a 3 row might not cool better than a 2 row . IMO, it's the size of the tubes and the spacing that is important . A shroud is necessary along with fan(s) (electric) . Gen III's run a little hotter than LA or Magnums. FYI, Griffin is the only vendor that I have researched that guarantees to cool your ride . At $788.00 they should . Good luck !

I have a Champion 22” with shroud and 16” Spal fan. Cools my stock 6.4 with air conditioner in 95 degree temps. I also run a fan controller from the Auto Cool Guy.

I ran a stock 3 core 318 a/c radiator with the fan shroud behind my 440 cuda with no issues. I must have used the correct pulley set up because with a 160 degree thermostat the car would rarely get above 180.

I think everyone has a different experience with cooling . I have a 318 A/C rad in front of my 383 and it won't cool worth a crap , goes up to 230* after 5 minutes running . I'm just trying to inform our members there are basic things that need to be done . I don't want members to throw money away on the next trick of the week or , even worse , use substandard parts and have an engine failure . information is your friend .

My rad is a factory 26" A/C rad that was new in 1973; and is mounted in the 22" opening. With the other cooling mods most of us do, it hasn't given me a lic of trouble.
The engine is just an HO 367 tho, with a 230/237/110 cam. Same set up using the 292/292/108 also worked fine. I run it at 207*F on purpose, using a thermostatically controlled clutch on a big 7-blade fan, in a tight shroud.

I have a Champion 22” with shroud and 16” Spal fan. Cools my stock 6.4 with air conditioner in 95 degree temps. I also run a fan controller from the Auto Cool Guy.
69Dartguy, wondering which controller you opted for

mind answering some questions? did you set it up per the instructions or adjust it a different way? how long have you been using it and are you still on the original fan?

thanks

mind answering some questions? did you set it up per the instructions or adjust it a different way? how long have you been using it and are you still on the original fan?
I have had it for over a year and I set it up per instructions for the most part. I did call Darryl and ask a few Questions. I have a Spal 16” fan that has been on the car for 3 years or so.The cooling system works very well whatever the temp is outside. I live In Tennessee with 95 degrees and high humidity all summer. Running my air conditioner it runs 180 -185 degrees.
thanks

-
Back