225 Long Rod Build Thread

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So ok, here is the start to my 225 long rod build. 225 block, 2.2 Chrysler non turbo 4 cylinder pistons, 198 rods. Block is all prepped and ready for mock up. I say mock up, because I need to double check the deck to get the right number to mill the deck for zero deck clearance. I know what the math says, but I'm kinda particular. I gotta SEE it to believe it. lol So here's the block. I also have a good crank now, thanks to @Dodge72. Thanks Katie!

SLANT BUILD.jpg

Subscribed! I wish I had another early A to use with my modified 225/833 and triple Weber’s!

Looks sweet! Can't wait to see how this turns out. And no problem, glad somebody found use for that crank!

Here is the long rod slant that I am building. KB 2.2L pistons, K1 cast crank rods, a last year ‘87 block and crank.
I had a very light clean up cut on the block deck, look close and you can still see the discoloring at the gasket water holes. That combined with having the crank line bored, the pistons are .005 out of the hole.

and here is a tip for you, while the block is apart, cut the manufacturing lugs off the top, cup plug side of the block. They serve no purpose now and will definitely interfere if you ever choose to run Dual Dutra's.

BB02C307-B815-46B0-A0BD-8D8913FF1E1F.jpeg

3D46046D-D986-4ADF-B917-26DF2050DA95.jpeg

Last edited:
Jeeze, what does this make your compression ratio?

with an un cut 58 cc head, 10.6

and another tip,
the number written on the front of the case looks like the stock 2.2L bore size which is 3.445
that is only .015 above the stock slant six bore of 3.430
I used the 1.0 mm oversize 2.2L pistons. That gives a bore size of 3.484 which equates to a .054 overbore.
Gives a bit more bore to side of valve clearance to reduce valve shrouding when using OS valves.

This should be a cool build! Should make plenty of power to move an early A!

I've still got two complete 170cuin slants in the shop. I keep daydreaming about a 210cuin stroker! Should rev to the moon, if you can get a head hogged out enough!

I've still got two complete 170cuin slants in the shop. I keep daydreaming about a 210cuin stroker! Should rev to the moon, if you can get a head hogged out enough!
You dont have any 170 pushrods laying around you want to get rid of do ya...lol

You dont have any 170 pushrods laying around you want to get rid of do ya...lol
If you mill the head, in the neighbor hood of .100, and or cut the deck, you will most likely need custom shorter) length pushrods. On 225 engines, I have been able to use stock length push rods, but needed shorter ones on the 170 engines, with the same amount of cutting.

Or power adder. I have had some of my stock short block 170's to about 7,000 rpm on juice. But I don't reccommend that except on rare occasions. Need some good internal pieces for repeated excursions up there.

So ok, here is the start to my 225 long rod build. 225 block, 2.2 Chrysler non turbo 4 cylinder pistons, 198 rods. Block is all prepped and ready for mock up. I say mock up, because I need to double check the deck to get the right number to mill the deck for zero deck clearance. I know what the math says, but I'm kinda particular. I gotta SEE it to believe it. lol So here's the block. I also have a good crank now, thanks to @Dodge72. Thanks Katie!

View attachment 1715342518

Pulling all the stops, I like it !!!

Here is the long rod slant that I am building. KB 2.2L pistons, K1 cast crank rods, a last year ‘87 block and crank.
I had a very light clean up cut on the block deck, look close and you can still see the discoloring at the gasket water holes. That combined with having the crank line bored, the pistons are .005 out of the hole.

and here is a tip for you, while the block is apart, cut the manufacturing lugs off the top, cup plug side of the block. They serve no purpose now and will definitely interfere if you ever choose to run Dual Dutra's.

View attachment 1715342792

View attachment 1715342793

Thanks man! Wow that's gonna have a little squeeze, ain't it? lol

with an un cut 58 cc head, 10.6

and another tip,
the number written on the front of the case looks like the stock 2.2L bore size which is 3.445
that is only .015 above the stock slant six bore of 3.430
I used the 1.0 mm oversize 2.2L pistons. That gives a bore size of 3.484 which equates to a .054 overbore.
Gives a bit more bore to side of valve clearance to reduce valve shrouding when using OS valves.

That's correct. Just personal preference I guess. Plus, the biggest thing is, I already had the pistons. lol

Pulling all the stops, I like it !!!

I'm gonna either build it or find out why I caint. lol

I made a little baby step today. I put the slant chain set cam gear and the gear drive cam gear together and re-marked the gear drive cam gear. Also, I discovered the slant six and big block crank gears are marked the same. <rolls eyes> So go figure. HOWEVER, if you remember, I made the big block gear drive work by flipping the crank gear over, upside down, SO that means I had to re-mark the crank gear too, since that put the timing mark on the wrong side of the keyway. So I got "that much" figured out. lol You can see the new marks in what I call Kitty's "ho red" fingernail polish. LOL

CAM AND CRANK GEARS.jpg

I too am subscribed.
I like this. RRR does all the work, spends all the $$, and we all get the fun to watch and see the results!!!! I bet finding 198 rods is not so easy!

Just curious, do you have the Offenhauser 4 bbl intake manifold and new 340 dual coil valve spings for that long rod build yet ??

Just curious, do you have the Offenhauser 4 bbl intake manifold and new 340 dual coil valve spings for that long rod build yet ??

No. My original plan was for a much milder build with a fairly hot flat tappet solid (which I still have) and a super six setup. But I suddenly realized I had some solid roller lifters left over from another project "that might work" so I tried them and I believe they will, so that's why I decided to go solid roller. I have a factory aluminum Super SIx intake and a nice 318 Carter BBD core. I MIGHT put those on the 170, since it will be some time before the 225 build is done. Then again, they might get sold. lol

OK, was just wondering what direction you are going with all this. Will be watching this one come together.
Thanks . . .

OK, was just wondering what direction you are going with all this. Will be watching this one come together.
Thanks . . .

Forward still......although very slowly. Slowed down 400 more bucks to get Kitty's car repaired. lol

-
Back