225 Slant 6 Won't Start.....No Fire!

-

Mike's Dart

Dodging The Negative Darting Toward The Positive
Reaction score
My 73' Dart was running perfectly yesterday afternoon when I parked it. Came back a couple hours later and it would turn over but nothing? I've got fuel but no fire at the coil. Change the coil since it is the original one it came with two years ago........nothing? Thought maybe the cap or the rotor button I replaced two years ago may have had a pin hole or a crack...nothing? I replaced the ballast resister right out of the gate before anything else since I carry a spare.....nothing? This "trouble-shooting" through the wallet is getting expensive!!! I changed the electronic ignition box two years ago when I bought it so I'd hope it is okay? Has to be something simple that I am just missing? It was running fine then won't hit a lick! Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

STOP!!!! throwing money at it, LOL and start learning to diagnose/ troubleshoot

When you say "turn over" to most of us this means the engine rotates with the starter. It does NOT mean "it fires" or "it tries to run."

"Fires" means when you crank the engine with the starter, the engine coughs, tries to run, maybe runs for a second and dies.

CHECK FOR SPARK at the coil. Buy or make a spark gap that you can wire to the coil tower. Test by USING THE KEY (don't test by jumpering the starter relay because it changes the circuit

MAKE SURE the ECU is grounded. Scrape around the bolt holes, the rear of the ECU, and remount with star lock washers

Take the distributor connector apart, take the engine bay end (not the distributor) end of the connector, and with key "in run" tap the bare end of the connector to ground. This should cause a spark "snap" for each touch

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! :BangHead: Well, when I bought the old Dart two years ago I started replacing things hoping to not wind up broke down anytime soon! It had set for 14 years and I figured....) One of those parts was the electronic ignition box. So on the advice of my brother I put the original (Chrysler Corporation) electronic ignition box (that I kept) back on her and that "Leaning Tower Of Power" roared to life!! Sure was nice to drive the old Dart again today! Who makes a reliable Electronic Ignition Box that will last longer than two years? In the mean time the old Chrysler Corporation box with five pins will do!:thumbsup:

We could start a thread here miles long. I know of NObody making replacement Mopar boxes that are for sure good quality and reliable. Look around Egag for an older Standard/ Blue Streak, OEM, or NAPA Echlin

There's always Pertronix, many on here run them. If you do, I'd recommend you buy a spare, because most stores don't care them

Many of us use an GM HEI module and some sort of Mopar stock/ performance breakerless distributor. I even made an "emergency" box with an HEI and Mopar coil I carried in the Dart, and have used several times to fire up engines to test

hwlcfa.jpg

4pin-jpg.1714715639
4pin-jpg.jpg

34nf6l0-jpg.jpg

Redneck test running a magnum with an AFB hacked to the top of the EFI manifold, on an HF engine stand with a brick under the pan LOL

img_1036-jpg.jpg

Pull the distributor out leave the pickup wires hooked up and spin the shaft, the coil should fire. Pretty easy check of the whole system. If not firing pull the two prong plug, take the cap off and put the distributor somewhere you can spin the shaft and have a multi meter hooked up to the pickup coil plug. Set the meter on the lowest AC scale and you should see a small millivolt pulse coming from the pick up.

Last edited:
Slantys rip the teeth off the nylon drive gear or just split in half, then the rotor don't turn nomo.
Any Mopar that spits the timingchain out same thing

First check is always to see the rotor turning.

-
Back