235/60/15 on front of duster?

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. thanson_mopar

thanson_mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:06 AM
    So I am asking because when I do a search some people say no way and others say they work fine?! I am trying to run P235/60R15 Mickey Thompson S/T tires on all four corners on my 74 duster. 4 wheel disc brakes if that makes any difference. I am wondering if they are going to work on the front or not. I'm going to run 15x8 steel wheels with 4" of backspacing. Anyone specifically run these Mickey T tires? Thanks

here are specs directly from MT if that helps
    Sportsman S/T™

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  2. DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:06 PM
    I tried some 235/60R15's on cop car wheels on the front of my Duster and it needed more backspacing/positive offset to work. I think those had 4.25" backspacing? I though it looked kind of funky.

But I don't remember if I could have driven it like that, I only did it out of curiosity and swapped the 14" wheels back on.

One issue is a 15" wheel has a limit to how much offset will work before it starts hitting the UCA, BJ and/or tie rod end. That's one advantage to a 17" or 18" wheel, you can push the tire further in because they clear the suspension better, but even a 17" has a limit.

You can probably make it work by pushing your fenders around, but I would look at more back spacing after finding out what the limit is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 72bluNblu

72bluNblu FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      BBP disk brakes? No way. Not on a 15x8” with 4” of backspace. Not unless you adjust the ride height up so it looks like a 4x4.

SBP disks, maaaaaaybe. Still be super tight on the fender. Probably still have to move some stuff around to make that work.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I missed that he was talking about an 8" wheel. Mine were on 7" wheels.

After the multiple calculations to convert backspacing to offset (sorry, minor :poke: at someone who shall remain un-named), that tire is going to be at least 3/4" further out than mine were, and that is without including the extra width the 235 is going to have on an 8" rim compared to a 7" rim.

I think Blu is right on the money. Assuming BBP (like mine), really doubt you will get those tires and rims to work on the front.

• Like Like x 1
        • thanson_mopar

Local Time:
          Yep, BBP.....bummer. I really like the look of 15" wheels on these cars but might just have to get into a set of 17's.

• thanson_mopar

Local Time:
          hypothetically If I were to be looking at buying a set of these American racing wheels what do you think I could get away with on the front?

Available as a 17x7 and 17x8 (4 inch backspacing and 4.5 inch backspacing respectively)
          Also max tire size?

American Racing VN3097765: VN309 Series Torq-Thrust Original Wheel Size: 17" x 7" | JEGS

American Racing VN3097865: VN309 Series Torq-Thrust Original Wheel Size: 17" x 8" | JEGS

I'm not racing by any means....just a spirited driver for the corners!

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Here is my '74 with BBP disks and a 15x7 cop car wheel with a 235/60R15:

P7230011.JPG

P7230013.JPG

It looks better than I remember, but still sticks in my head that it was too close.

Depending on what the max backspacing is that would fit for a 15" wheel, I would guess you could get it to fit, but I would run more offset than the cop car wheels.

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Here's a post were @autoxcuda said max backspacing on a 15" rim is 4.5" with a stock UCA.

73-76 A-Body Offset

That would push the tire in another 1/4" from where mine ended up.

So maybe a 15x7 with 4.5" BS would work?

One thing you could try is one of those online calculators and plug in a know wheel and tire combo on your car and then the new sizes and see how it moves the tire around. Based on that you could get an idea of how well it might fit.

• autoxcuda

autoxcuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          a 15x7 with 4.5 backspacing is most likely going to be a custom spec rim.

I run 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing BUT with much smaller diameter 245/50/15 tire.

with 235/60/15, 15x7, 4.5” backspace, and BBP disks is going to be real close. So close that alignment settings and component parts will create variation between to same model where one rub and one doesn’t.

Probably need bottom fender support moved out. Might need fender lipping.

just too close to call. You’re on your own to use methods to overcome what you end up with.

• - Marvin -

- Marvin - Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          7:06 AM
          prospekte-056-jpg-jpg.jpg

VREDESTEIN PROTRAC 235-60-15 all around on Rallye Wheels and front disc-brakes (stock).

Works fine....

• thanson_mopar

Local Time:
          I assume small bolt pattern? Also whats the width and backspacing on the front wheels?

• - Marvin -

Local Time:
          Right - small bolt pattern.

Width of the Rallye Wheels should be 6 inch - as far as I remember

I presume backspace should be the same as on regular 14' Rallye Wheels, but I have not measured it...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
        • - Marvin -

Local Time:
        • 72bluNblu

72bluNblu FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          It “works fine” because with the SBP your track width is like a 1/2” narrower.

And, your 235’s shouldn’t me mounted on a 6” rim. They’re being squeezed down and will be narrower than the advertised spec, which is measured on a 7” wide rim.

And, that’s a Demon. Dart fenders have a longer opening than Duster fenders. The clearance for the width is the same, but the height of the 235 may cause additional problems on a Duster because the rear corner of the fender opening will also be very tight, not just the front.

Even with the SBP, if you mounted those tires on a 15x7” like they should be your clearance might become an issue.

Like DionR I ran a set of 225/60/15’s on my Duster on a set of 15x7’s with a 4.25” backspace. 73+ BBP disks. They cleared, but barely. The clearance to the rear corner of the fender was actually the tightest spot on my car, although the clearance to the fender lip was really tight as well. No way 235’s would have worked. But that’s why it’s important to make all of the information available- BBP makes a difference. Backspace makes a difference. Body style makes a difference. And mounting the tires on a narrower rim than recommended makes a difference.

• thanson_mopar

Local Time:
          With these 15x8 rims with 4 inch of backspacing it looks like I might even have trouble fitting 225/60r15’s....If I cant even run those then I will sell these wheels and look at different options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.