26.4 diameter tire too big? 68 barracuda

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
sry i meant 25.4 diameter tires too big for the front of a 68 barracuda?
they rub alittle on the corner of the fender?
Thanks

Last edited:
It may depend on the off set of the wheel. For me, 26” was a no go on Wheel Vintiques 15 X 8 Ralley Wheels.
The fire was a Mickey Thompson 26 X 8 tire. Flame tread series.

It may depend on the off set of the wheel. For me, 26” was a no go on Wheel Vintiques 15 X 8 Ralley Wheels.
The fire was a Mickey Thompson 26 X 8 tire. Flame tread series.
You had a 15x8 on the front?

are 26.4 diameter tires too big for the front of a 68 barracuda?
they rub alittle on the corner of the fender?
Thanks
I think you just answered your question if they're rubbing and you're using those slots, even a little bit. That will eventually ruin the tire or the fender if it catches.

Last edited:
I think you just answered your question if they're rubbing and you're using those slots, even a little bit. That will eventually ruin the tire or the fender if it catches.
Doesn’t seem like that big of a tire that’s why I’m asking

Doesn’t seem like that big of a tire that’s why I’m asking
Is the tire a 245 60 14? I think I mentioned that I tried a 245 60 14 on 14x7 Indy slots with I believe a 3.5 bs and they're 26'' on the front of my 69 cuda and they rubbed on the front leading edge so that's why they went on the rear

no 14x7 all around
245/60/14 25.6 on rear no issues
front 205/70/14 25.4 diameter issue
gonna try 235/60/14 25.1 or 225/60/14 24.7 diameter i guess ?

Biggest factory wheel on that car was a 14x5 1/2. Your 14x7 slots are an inch and a half wider, and if they are vintage slots, I'm betting most of that is on the curb side. All of which moves the tire out, and closer to the fender. Which is why you are height limited. Go with the shorter, wider tire.

I have 15x7 Cragars with 225/60/15 tires on the front of my 63 Valiant, and 65 and 67 Barracudas. The left front on the Valiant rubbed very slightly on hard left turns, fixed with an un-noticeable very minor trim of the lower front fender lip. Other two, no problems.

Relevant measures include not just tire diameter, or even just wheel width, but backspacing. The less backspacing, the more the outside of the wheel moves outward, and the more likely you will have clearance problems.

-
Back