26 inch radiator in a duster?

-
I put a larger radiator in my Duster. All I needed to do was drill new mounting holes in the radiator support cowl. The radiator I used is a 3 core and the hoses line up perfectly from the old narrow radiator. I did have to kind of bend one of the transmission cooling lines over a little to fit but it was not an issue at all. The car NEVER Overheats or runs HOT even on a 100 degree day!!!!! The radiator I am using is 28 3/4" wide from support brackets and 26" wide at the tank edges. I do not even need a fan shroud with this radiator. I am using a 6 blade lightweight (plastic) fan that I ordered from Summit. I also have a radiator cap with a built in temperature guage in the cap. Temp at cap never goes over 190 degrees.

it will fit if you do what dustermaniac did but if you don't it won't fit in your rad. support and you will need a bigger one. but if you're willing to do a little "construction" like dustermaniac then you're good to go.

NO that radiator won't fit without cutting the bottom of the core support. It is too tall. Ask me how I know. I have one for a small block and I can't close the hood when it is in place and I'm not willing to cut mine up. It will also leave the bottom of the radiator exposed to road debris if you do cut it....

Yes you can put a 26" radiator in your car...Mopar put one in mine brand new!!

You need an A-Body 318/340/360 max cooling or A/C radiator..

P2072516.jpg

My radiator fits very well into my engine bay - No cutting needed. It looks like it came from the factory with the 26" Radiator. Hood closes fine. I will snap some shots tomorrow and post em'

Dustermaniac,
Check your data tag. Up near the top '26' should be stamped in it.

They came standard on 318/340/360s with MAX COOLING OR A/C.

Sorry guys but he asked about a specific aluminum radiator...it will not fit! I know, I own one. The original radiator is NOT a 26" like the b-bodies. As you say the original, also in mine, is actually a 25 5/8" wide and a little shorter. You can get an aftermarket crossflow radiator that is 26" wide to fit as you say. The original "26 inch" is a 2 core and won't cool my 400hp 360 here in the desert heat.

whats the maximum height you can have without mods or possible rad damage ( road debris as mentioned earlier ) ? and btw, thanks for the info guys!

I'll pull the aluminum radiator out of the garage and measure it exactly for you tomorrow. It was about an 1" too high. I guess I could cut the filler neck off and MIG it closed, then use a filler in the upper hose. It just seems like too much work considering it's just a for fun street car!

Sorry for the delay in getting you the dimensions. It is 26.25" wide and 23.5" tall on the tanks. If you include the filler neck it is 24.25" tall total. It bolts in perfect, it's just too tall for an a-body...
1107092323a.jpg

went to O'Reilly's auto parts and asked for a radiator for a Duster W/AC and all it show is a 18 X 24 X 1.25 two row. Do any of you guys running the 26 inch have a P.N. or something I can get them to run on?

Im doing a /6 to v8 swap on my 72 Duster.What is the size of the V8 radiator needed to cool this motor properly?Not trying to hijack this thread,just need some info.

Sorry guys but he asked about a specific aluminum radiator...it will not fit! I know, I own one. The original radiator is NOT a 26" like the b-bodies. As you say the original, also in mine, is actually a 25 5/8" wide and a little shorter. You can get an aftermarket crossflow radiator that is 26" wide to fit as you say. The original "26 inch" is a 2 core and won't cool my 400hp 360 here in the desert heat.

X2, if you use a B body BB 26" you need to cut the core support and re drill mounting holes. I had to do it on my 70 Duster, I just plan on getting some 16 gauge steel and re-boxing it to protect the lower part of the radiator.

If you want a 26 inch mopar radiatior,, look for a pickup. I got a 26" 2 row rad from unknown year Dodge pickup. It fit in good just had to drill 2 new holes for frame. It cools my 408 Duster really good. Even put it in a parade and just got to 210 at end. Didn't even use shroud.

If you want a 26 inch mopar radiatior,, look for a pickup. I got a 26" 2 row rad from unknown year Dodge pickup. It fit in good just had to drill 2 new holes for frame. It cools my 408 Duster really good. Even put it in a parade and just got to 210 at end. Didn't even use shroud.
Big block? Small Block? Pre Smog years?

Hi I'm new at this but I do have a 26inch rad in my 1971 Duster 340 and I am trying to replace it with the same thing. I did not have to cut anything it was in theare when I got the car. I suspect someone may have change it back in the 80s. I Am looking for some part # that I could cross.

I have a 3 row 26" radiator that was for an e-body I bought from Paddock a couple of years ago in my 75 Duster and it fit like it was made for it. I also found out an m-body shroud fit this radiator like it was also made for it.
Heres a pic and even though it doesn't show the whole radiator it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• DSCN0151.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,564
Been looking at radiators for a body dodge with gen3 hemi this thread has some usefull info. Old thread but i am no where near my car so i got to ask what the dimensions i can fit again im running a gen3 hemi

Been looking at radiators for a body dodge with gen3 hemi this thread has some usefull info. Old thread but i am no where near my car so i got to ask what the dimensions i can fit again im running a gen3 hemi

I am running a 27" radiator out of a, say, '89 B250 Van in my '68 Dart! After mulling over measurements, I dove in & ordered that radiator since it was cheap. I did have to take a cutting wheel to the core support flanges on both sides of the bottom of the new radiator, and notch the battery tray for radiator clearance. But I got it in!

My car has a 383, and I use the '70's-era passenger side entry water pump housing. I also am running the dual 12" fan setup from an SRT car! With the way I mounted everything, I have 1/4" of clearance from the plastic fan grille to the water pump hub!

It's one of those 1 1/4", 1-row plastic-tank cheap replacement radiators. When I test-drove it at night right after completion (last Friday), the car was half-way warmed up on the stock gauge while sitting in traffic! Both fans kept running, and the engine ran extremely cool! It always got hot in traffic, even on a cool night like last week, and the upgrades really seemed to change things! I imagine this would fit your GenIII Hemi swap with even more clearance.

The stock radiator from an '08 Challenger/Charger/300 may also fit, and maybe even better than what I did--this would also mount the good SRT electric fans like stock.

David V

Last edited:
I am running a 27" radiator out of a, say, '89 B250 Van in my '68 Dart! After mulling over measurements, I dove in & ordered that radiator since it was cheap. I did have to take a cutting wheel to the core support flanges on both sides of the bottom of the new radiator, and notch the battery tray for radiator clearance. But I got it in!

My car has a 383, and I use the '70's-era passenger side entry water pump housing. I also am running the dual 12" fan setup from an SRT car! With the way I mounted everything, I have 1/4" of clearance from the plastic fan grille to the water pump hub!

It's one of those 1 1/4", 1-row plastic-tank cheap replacement radiators. When I test-drove it at night right after completion (last Friday), the car was half-way warmed up on the stock gauge while sitting in traffic! Both fans kept running, and the engine ran extremely cool! It always got hot in traffic, even on a cool night like last week, and the upgrades really seemed to change things! I imagine this would fit your GenIII Hemi swap with even more clearance.

The stock radiator from an '08 Challenger/Charger/300 may also fit, and maybe even better than what I did--this would also mount the good SRT electric fans like stock.

David V
At this point im going to drive the 20 miles to my car and measure what i can fit my dropout came from a ram amd the rad was wayy too big from the truck but ive seen now 22" and 26" radiators for sale both of which i have been told by vendors that it doesnt fit although based off what i am finding in my research they would fit fine. Fans i suppose come next everything with this swap is one thing at a time

I put a larger radiator in my Duster. All I needed to do was drill new mounting holes in the radiator support cowl. The radiator I used is a 3 core and the hoses line up perfectly from the old narrow radiator. I did have to kind of bend one of the transmission cooling lines over a little to fit but it was not an issue at all. The car NEVER Overheats or runs HOT even on a 100 degree day!!!!! The radiator I am using is 28 3/4" wide from support brackets and 26" wide at the tank edges. I do not even need a fan shroud with this radiator. I am using a 6 blade lightweight (plastic) fan that I ordered from Summit. I also have a radiator cap with a built in temperature guage in the cap. Temp at cap never goes over 190 degrees.
Wondering what kind of engine your running--------?

-
Back