26" Radiator

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
I thinking about modifying my rad.core in the 66 Dart to fit a 26" radiator, I was wondering if anyone else has gone thru this mod.? looking for some advice....

Not sure why you would do it. I've run early Barracudas for years as daily drivers from SD to FL, the 22 inch radiator works fine. A 3 core will cool up to a 426 Super Stock Hemi. But, I'm not one to cut or mangle anything.

Not sure why you would do it. I've run early Barracudas for years as daily drivers from SD to FL, the 22 inch radiator works fine. A 3 core will cool up to a 426 Super Stock Hemi. But, I'm not one to cut or mangle anything.
I have read alot of post on this site about guys having a problem with keeping there stroker small blocks running cool in the early As...Just wondering if anyone has done this mod. By the way I do on occasion cut things...Thats why they call it a restomod

Small block regardless should not need anything more than suggested
Maybe bigger water pump etc.
IMHO. + real radiator.

I welded in the 26" radiator support wings on my 73 swinger when I restored it. You can get by with running the larger radiator without the larger opening but its more efficient to get it opened up.

are you having a problem, or are you in the middle of a build? 67'-76' will take one no problem. not sure what you'd need to cut to get one in an earlier car

My 65 Barracuda had a 26" radiator in it when I bought it. Whoever did it was a hack! It just had holes drilled where they needed to be, and the rad support wasn't cut. It barely did fit between the frame rails, but there was clearance on both sides. When I redo the car, I am going to drill the spot welds out for the sheet metal parts the radiator bolts to, and move one or both of them outwards to make it fit the radiator properly. As long as the Sawzall and welder hold up, I can make it look like it came from the factory! :)

are you having a problem, or are you in the middle of a build? 67'-76' will take one no problem. not sure what you'd need to cut to get one in an earlier car
I am in the middle of this build an to the point where its time to get a rad.
So i have be reading alot of post on this forum about guys with early As and high HP engines having problems with keeping them cool with a 22" rad. My 66 Dart has a 408 making 532 HP so I want to get the cooling system right the first time. I did get some specs on the 26" Cold Case and Im sure I can cut out the rad support and make a new one to except the 26" Trying to decide if its needed or can I get away with the 22"...

I welded in the 26" radiator support wings on my 73 swinger when I restored it. You can get by with running the larger radiator without the larger opening but its more efficient to get it opened up.
Yeah Its gonna be alot more fab work to get it done right, thats why I was wondering if anybody else had done this on an early Dart..

does the cutting involve the frame rails or just the core support? i know some here don't like it, but if it's just the core support i wouldn't cut it

I have read alot of post on this site about guys having a problem with keeping there stroker small blocks running cool in the early As...Just wondering if anyone has done this mod. By the way I do on occasion cut things...Thats why they call it a restomod

I have a 68 Formula S 383 car making about 400 hp. 22 in factory 3 core rad, no shroud, stays cool no problem. Super Stock 68 Darts and Barracudas making 500 hp used the same radiator. Just have your radiator rebuilt with a 3 row core, if you need to. No extra work, no figuring out what hoses to use, no aluminum Chinese radiators. My blocks are machined with torque plates and mains torqued. I use premium rings. They always spin easy and run cool. Most problems sound like not enough air flow at low speed to me. I also don't see the need to build a stroker, there are plenty of guys running into the 10's with a 360, or a 340. Why spend all that extra money?

I went with a Cold Case 22" 2 row 1 1/4 tube Rad. No cutting with this deal..I hope it does the job.

I went with a Cold Case 22" 2 row 1 1/4 tube Rad. No cutting with this deal..I hope it does the job.
Im in the same boat right now. Got a 340 built to 500 HP. Cold Case was leaning toward the 26. The car is set for a 22"

Im in the same boat right now. Got a 340 built to 500 HP. Cold Case was leaning toward the 26. The car is set for a 22"
Yeah i ended up going with the 22” Cold Case, 1 1/4 tubes... i still need to figure out the fan

09783DAF-FDC4-43A9-B8E5-87979D8E4132.jpeg

I have a 68 Formula S 383 car making about 400 hp. 22 in factory 3 core rad, no shroud, stays cool no problem. Super Stock 68 Darts and Barracudas making 500 hp used the same radiator. Just have your radiator rebuilt with a 3 row core, if you need to. No extra work, no figuring out what hoses to use, no aluminum Chinese radiators. My blocks are machined with torque plates and mains torqued. I use premium rings. They always spin easy and run cool. Most problems sound like not enough air flow at low speed to me. I also don't see the need to build a stroker, there are plenty of guys running into the 10's with a 360, or a 340. Why spend all that extra money?
Not entirely true, hell , the street hemi`s made more power than 500 , the race hemi`s were arounfd 750,----------- jfyi .

-
Back