265 hemi straight six

-

willypete67

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a 265 hemi S six that is factory?

The 265 Hemi 6's weren't really true Hemi's.

Engineering and design features[edit]
The Hemi-6 is a pushrod O.H.V. (overhead valve) engine, with combustion chambers comprising about 35% of the top of the globe. This creates what is known as a low hemispherical shaped chamber. Although the Hemi-6 does not contain truly hemispherical combustion chambers, the "Hemi" moniker was used primarily for its marketing cachet based on the reputation of Chrysler's 1950s-1970s (true) Hemi V8 engines.

The Hemi-6 valves are 18 degrees (included angle) along the crankshaft axis opposed valves, with intake valves as large as 1.96". The 6 intake and 6 exhaust valves open toward each other, and into the center of the combustion chamber. In addition, both valves are slightly inclined across the crankshaft axis (similar to a conventional "wedge" chamber). The cylinder head is a non-crossflow design, meaning the 6 intake and 6 exhaust ports are on the same (left, Australian and British passenger's side) of the engine.

Unlike Chrysler's contemporaneous hemi V8 engines, the Hemi-6's rocker arms are mounted on individual studs (similar to the Chevrolet "big block" V8), rather than on 2 separate rocker shafts as in all 1951-58 Hemis—Dodge, DeSoto, Imperial, and Chrysler "Firepower" and 1964-'71 426 V8s.

All Hemi-6s share a robust crankshaft supported by seven main bearings, and this family of engines quickly developed a reputation for excellent performance, economy, and durability.

The Australian Hemi engines were designed by a five-man team which included the late Maurice Harcus.

19F21E93-4CDD-4EFC-97BE-53234780EFDA.jpeg
This was at Carlisle

When I finally saw one at a meet my first thought was that it was just a GM 265 inline, upright American 6 cylinder. After seeing one, I was totally over my "Hemi 6" infatuation. While toolmanmike says it was designed for Chrysler in an earlier post, I'll go to the grave thinking it's nothing more than a rebadged GM 265 inline six. Doesn't make it a bad motor, as others have suggested they developed a good reputation for reliability, durability and even performance in the triple sidedraft version. Just a lot of cash to import and build one that has little if any "Hemi" look to it.

Well with the intake and exhaust both on the same side and the plugs not in the top, not to mention it not laying over like the slant, although the chamber looks domed. but the pic of the underside of the heads looks to be two different type heads but the chambers look the same. Is one a regular slant? Never really paid attention to the chamber on a slant. And I'd have to see one walk away from a 340 for myself.

None of the Australian designed sixes are slanted, they are all upright. Any (All) slant six in Australia are the Detroit designed, same as offered in the US, imported from the US engine.

The one in the pic , in the yellow car looks like it has a tappit cover on the side of the block like the old GMs

I don't think the OP was askin about an education on them. He just wanted to know if anyone knew where one was.

I do not.

I don't think the OP was askin about an education on them. He just wanted to know if anyone knew where one was.

I do not.
Myself , I was hoping to see a real hemi headed 6 cyl. Chrysler engine .
But no cigar !!

Ask Rick Ehrenberg, he bought one somewhere.

Best way to obtain one is post on an Aussie Dart/Valiant site. In the late eighties I looked into importing one and there was an engine import company in Los Angeles, K. Watanabe, that specialized in importing engines from all over to America. As far as I know they are still in business. But if not I'm sure there are other importers who are willing. These engines were only used in Australia, not Europe nor US so if you want one, and can't find it in the US already, It will need to come from Australia.

This is what they should look like. I could have one made for you.
c115ded787e89fd46423007207a3f078-1.jpg

There's an individual in Seattle named Michael who posts under that name at slantsix.org and who, last I checked not too long ago, had two or three Hemi-6s in his garage. Don't recall whether they're 245s, 265s, or a mix.

Whoever vows to blah blah blah go to his grave believing the Hemi-6 is a blahbittyblah must be rebadged blah blah GM motor blah blah blah is vowing to remain misinformed and to deny reality for the rest of his life—kind of nutty, IMO. The origin and provenance of the D-engine (Hemi-6) is well known and documented, and has utterly nothing to do with GM. R&D got started by Chrysler in the US in 1966, then the D-engine development work was transferred down under, and it was released there (and only there) for the 1970 models. Might be a good idea to read what the actual engineers who were actually involved say on the subject before blathering about how it must be a GM motor because, um, um, um, because LOOK, IT JUST IS, OKAY?!!

Last edited:
@slantsixdan - the only thing nutty in my humble opinion is your over the top insulting response. I clearly offended you, and your chryslerness, which I never intended to do. But to be quite frank, externally, the engine bears a strong resemblance to that family of GM 6's I noted. To deny it is to deny rain gets you wet. I was already well aware of the history you referenced. Hope you'll consider being more civil in any future rebuttals.

@Ratrodal - Yes, they do have a tappet access plate on the side of the block like many upright, inline sixes going as far back as the flathead era.

@toolmanmike - now there's a "HEMI" (looking) six !!! Is that photoshopped??

@65DartGTin AZ - Congrats, you found what would seem to be the definitive site for these motors. After adding up the cost for what I'd purchase in the way of options, and having to pay the core charge, I'd be in one about $15K before the $2-3K shipping bill. The cost of being different is high.

@toolmanmike - now there's a "HEMI" (looking) six !!! Is that photoshopped??[/QUOTE]
Let me see if I can find a explanation for the photo.

@valiantpatrol , here's what was posted with the photo.
"Slant six Chrysler experiment. This was on the Slant Six Forum and I believe was late model (Gen III) Hemi cylinder heads cut and merged together with a couple Gen I Hemi valve covers spliced together and custom intake/exhaust. I believe I only made it to mock up stage and don't know if it was ever a running project?"

-
Back