27" tall front tire on a 67 Barracuda?

-

31pickemup

Reaction score
Hey guys I was curious if its possible to run a 27" tall tire on a 67 barracuda with a 15x6 steel wheel with 4.25 backspacing?

That would be real tight I put a 205-70-15 on front of my duster and it was real close to fender edge when turning. about 25.5 is as big as I would go.
the 205 is 26.3"
the 215 is 25.2"

That would be real tight I put a 205-70-15 on front of my duster and it was real close to fender edge when turning. about 25.5 is as big as I would go.
the 205 is 26.3"
the 215 is 25.2"

Shouldn't the 215 be the taller one (if they are both the same series tire)?

the 205 is 26.3"
the 215 is 25.2"

I have 235/60/15’s on it now with room to spare.

I have 235/60/15’s which is 26.1 tall with room to spare on 15x7 rims. I’ve heard with a 15x6 with the 4.25 bs I can run a 27

Where the diameter problem comes in is at the leading edge at the bottom of the fender, with the wheel cocked and the suspension compressed. This typically occurs when making a tight turn up onto a driveway with a "bump". A too tall tire will catch the fender corner, and can peel off the wheel well trim if installed. I don't see how backspacing really helps matters in this case -- the tread will still be centered over the hub, more or less -- if it is tall enough, it will catch. Why would you want a 27" tall tire, anyway? I would think it would look a little funny.

Where the diameter problem comes in is at the leading edge at the bottom of the fender, with the wheel cocked and the suspension compressed. This typically occurs when making a tight turn up onto a driveway with a "bump". A too tall tire will catch the fender corner, and can peel off the wheel well trim if installed. I don't see how backspacing really helps matters in this case -- the tread will still be centered over the hub, more or less -- if it is tall enough, it will catch. Why would you want a 27" tall tire, anyway? I would think it would look a little funny.
Actually the backspacing is very important. The Barracuda fenders can easily handle the 27” in height. When the backspacing isn’t correct it will shove the tire too far out and when you make sharp turns it will run against the inner lip of the fender. A-bodies look better with a larger front tire. Formula S used a 26” tire so 27” isn’t a huge difference

I just mounted 215/65-15's on 15x6 in rims on my 68 Barracuda. The backspace is 3.75 and the diameter of the tire is 26". As you can see in the pic, I have about 1" to the front and rear outer fender edge and no interference under any circumstance. I'm guessing that a 27" tire would in some cases rub on either the front or rear outer fender while turning. If you increase the backspace to 4.25 then you would bring the leading edge of the tire further away from the outer fender which may solve the problem of hitting the outer fender, but at the same time, now your tire is closer to the inner fender and you'd be running the risk of rubbing the frame rail or inner fender in a tight turn. Either way, it would be really close.
IMG_20180908_151557701_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I just mounted 215/65-15's on 15x6 in rims on my 68 Barracuda. The backspace is 3.75 and the diameter of the tire is 26'. As you can see in the pic, I have about 1' to the front and rear outer fender edge and no interference under any circumstance. I'm guessing that a 27' tire would in some cases rub on either the front or rear outer fender while turning. If you increase the backspace to 4.25 then you would bring the leading edge of the tire further away from the outer fender which may solve the problem of hitting the outer fender, but at the same time, now your tire is closer to the inner fender and you'd be running the risk of rubbing the frame rail or inner fender in a tight turn. Either way, it would be really close. View attachment 1715225851
Ok thanks for the info I’m going to stick with a 26-26.4 front tire. I’ll probably end up just running the factory 14x5.5’s

Yea some how part of my post didnt show up. I put a 215-60-15 on a 7" wide 4" back space and all was well but the 205-70-15 was kind of close.

-
Back