273/904 torque converter

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I was on the horn with Summit today asking about a torque converter for my 66. Told him what was in it and what my plans were. 1966 273 30 over flat top pistons 9.5:1 from what I can remember, Comp cam and lifter kit CCA-CL20-210-2, installing a 1966 factory 4bbl intake, has a 8 3/4 rear end with a 3:55 sure grip. All I plan on doing with this car is playing around on the streets. Right now at 65 years old I can run faster than this car comes out of the hole, it has a stock converter in it now from PHN at about 1500 stall. After talking with the tech at Summit he suggested the Boss Hog 53023 2200/2800 stall which I was looking at to begin with but in the ad it states for 1967 and up now will it work or is there something that I am not aware of ? If you guys have any support on converters or have had dealings with the Boss Hog converters please chime in, I don't want to order this converter and not be happy after.
Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
The register (snout) is different diameter for the 67/68 and later torque converters. Chrysler increased the diameter. So a 67 later will not fit the early crank register. (The early torque converter can be used in a 68 an later engine with the help of a spacer ring though). Hope this helps.....

if you are rebuilding the engine, maybe they can open up the register in the crank for the later converter? that would open up the options for convertors down the road.

Thank you for the info, I did not know that. Looks like I will be calling a few other converter shops to see what they offer, I don't see the Boss Hog for the earlier 66 motors. Any suggestions on other shops to call for the converter for my 66 please let me know, I only want to do this once. I know there are other posts on this site that recommend other places, but you guys with the experience please chim in. Also other brands of converters in the 2200-2800 range.
Thanks
Bob

Most converter shops can build what you want. Hughes Converters made 2 for me. I was running 1972 904 behind a 1967 engine. They put the small register for the crank on their 68-up 904 front pump converter.

You will most likely have to have one made by a reputable converter company. The 66 has the small diameter register as stated. Also, the 66 904 transmission had the small diameter input shaft. 65'

Call A and A and check with Rick or the other guys. They might have one in stock or can advise too.
Tom

I tried looking up A and A torque converters and all I get is A and A auto stores. Where are they located, never heard of them before. Do you have a web site or phone number?
Thanks
Bob

I am sorry. A and A transmissions In Indiana. They may be a sponsor. I’ll get the number shortly.
Here: 317 831 3066
Aandatrans.com

Deal directly with one of the converter companies mentioned. Give them all the information they ask for and be sure to mention that you have the small (1.550") crank pilot. You're best off dealing directly with the converter builder, not someone at a parts store. While the parts store guy may have a little knowledge on converters, the converter builder has a wealth of knowledge and experience in getting you what is required for your setup. Don't let price be your only guide in purchasing your converter. There is a reason a quality converter costs more than one of lesser quality. Over the years, I've seen a lot of in-expensive high stall converters apart and you get exactly what you pay for.
While the transmission is out, pull the pump and replace the pump bushing, the front seal, the pump gasket and the pump O ring. Having a new converter hub ride on an old bushing makes no sense to me.

Get rid of that 18 spline old stuff and install 27 spline input etc. Then you can run a common converter and just machine down the front snout. Better to start with 999 direct drum for the five plate clutch and wider band..and rob it's lower gearset. There are higher stall converters on ebay for $185 free shipping. I had mine modified locally and it cost me $195. Ha. If you are rebuilding the motor, either machine out the crank hole or get a later 318 crank. Better yet; go 360, Those first gen cudas aren't very hot on the market; I wouldn't worry about hurting the value. 87 cubes.

I am now dealing with a company in California called Edge racing converters, don't know if any of you have heard of them or not. I am dealing with Andrea and so far everything is going very smooth. I will show some pictures of the converter when it arrives, it will be made to fit my 66 904, small shaft, small register, 2400 stall.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

I have friends that use Edge,They are happy with their product.

Thanks for all your help guys, I am going to spend some time on the phone tomorrow. I will let you know what I came up with.
Bob
Hey Bob.
I was just about to put my 65 273 back into the Barracuda, but when I went to bolt in the rebuilt A904, my torque converter register was too big.
I will also be searching for this custom torque converter.
Did you find a place to make you one?

Yes I did, I used a converter shop in California called Edge Racing. I called the owner his name is Andrea hes asked me a few questions about what my car was all about, rear end ratio, tire size, cam, horse power and then he suggested a 2400 stall. I had him build it for me and I am happy with it. Go into search on the net and type in Edge Racing, you will find there info.
Bob

-
Back