-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
273 Camshaft Specifications

1965 ................ 273/180 HP '2-Barrel'

Type ..................... 'Mechanical'

Lift ......................... .395" Intake ~ .405" Exhaust {NHRA ... .400" ~ .411"}
Duration ................... 240* Intake ~ 240* Exhaust
Overlap .................... 16*

Intake Opens BTC ...... 14*
Intake Closes ABC ...... 40*

Exhaust Opens BBC .... 52*
Exhaust Closes ATC ..... 2*

Lash {Intake} ........... .013"
lash {Exhaust} .......... .021"

Valve Spring {Valve Closed} ... #53 lbs. @ 1.69"
Valve Spring {Valve Open} .... #143 lbs. @ 1.31"
---------------------------------------------------------------

1965 ................... 273/235 HP '4-Barrel'

Type ........................ 'Mechanical'

Lift .......................... .415" Intake ~ .425" Exhaust {NHRA ... .415" ~ .425"}
Duration ................... 248* Intake ~ 248* Exhaust
Overlap .................... 26*

Intake Opens BTC ...... 14*
Intake Closes ABC ...... 54*

Exhaust Opens BBC .... 56*
Exhaust Closes ATC .... 12*

Lash {Intake} ........... .013"
Lash {Exhaust}.......... .021"

Valve Spring {Valve Closed} .... #83 lbs. @ 1.69"
Valve Spring {Valve Open} ..... #177 lbs. @ 1.31"
Valve Spring {Valve Open} ..... #189 lbs. @ 1.28"

Mr. Commando

The specification sheet states,

That the 1966 ~ 273/235 HP '4-Barrel' Camshaft was revised to;

Lift ........... .420" Intake ~ .430" Exhaust {NHRA Specifications as well}

All other specifications were the same as 1965.

How did these damn engines run, with no overlap? Torque & warranty issues are one thing, you have done it yourself,& I have seen it in real life. D Dart aside, I'm wondering why so small ? Even the "K code" 289/271 , had 228-ish @ .050/300 advertised, mid .400's lift.Just wow.

Nobody in those days used lift to make horsepower (unless you had a "full race" cam.) LOL A cam like the 289 Ford cam with around 300° duration is a pretty nasty cam for a small cube engine and could only be used with a stick tranny. There wasn't a lot of high stall torque convertor technology back then. The HP. 273's ran very well and not because of their big cams or free flowing exhaust manifolds. Mopar should have built more D Dart engines for production. That one was a bit more serious piece. What were those cam specs again?

How did these damn engines run, with no overlap? Torque & warranty issues are one thing, you have done it yourself,& I have seen it in real life. D Dart aside, I'm wondering why so small ? Even the "K code" 289/271 , had 228-ish @ .050/300 advertised, mid .400's lift.Just wow.

Plymouth '273 Commando' and Dodge 'Charger 273'

Strange, but not every one ran good.

Some were just out-right 'Dogs'. And others ran fairly decent. And a 'select few'
were just Freakin' Freaks.

When my Father performed Drag Strip 'Test-and-Runs' for Plymouth on the 273 from
{1967 -thru- 1969}, he had no answer for the ones that ran like 'screamers'.

He just called them 'Freaks'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also,

The NHRA lists the 1967 273/235 HP '4-Barrel' Camshaft with Lift Specifications at;
Intake ..... .420"
Exhaust ... .430"

Chrysler did 'advertise' the Part# 2465679 {'revised profile'} Lift at;
Intake ..... . 425"
Exhaust ... . 425"

Nobody in those days used lift to make horsepower (unless you had a "full race" cam.) LOL A cam like the 289 Ford cam with around 300° duration is a pretty nasty cam for a small cube engine and could only be used with a stick tranny. There wasn't a lot of high stall torque convertor technology back then. The HP. 273's ran very well and not because of their big cams or free flowing exhaust manifolds. Mopar should have built more D Dart engines for production. That one was a bit more serious piece. What were those cam specs again?

Ford ~ 289/271 HP 'K-Code' .......................... 1966 Dodge 'D-Dart'

Part #C30Z-6250-C

'Mechanical' .......................................................... 'Mechanical'

Lift ............. .480" {NHRA lists the lift @ .478"} ....... .495" / .505"
Duration ...... 310* ................................................. 284*
Overlap ........ 82*
Lash ........... .019"

Intake {Opens} BTC .... 46*
Intake {Closes} ATC .... 12*

Exhaust {Opens} BBC .. 94*
Exhaust {Closes} ATC .. 36*

hi, back then , they had wide lobe centers, which shortens up overlap. take same cam and put it on 108 lobe centers , its a different cam then. the 235 /273 cam has a very fast ramp on it. actually it is a good grind!! we had the 235 cam ground on 108, centers, put it in a poly 318, dual four engine in a 57 Plymouth, it was very torque. could spin tires very easily.

Ford ~ 289/271 HP 'K-Code'

Part #C30Z-6250-C

'Mechanical'

Lift ............. .480"
Duration ...... 310*
Overlap ........ 82*
Lash ........... .019"

Intake {Opens} BTC .... 46*
Intake {Closes} ATC .... 12*

Exhaust {Opens} BBC .. 94*
Exhaust {Closes} ATC .. 36*

Still feisty, with 82 overlap. No bad problem, duration was cheaper than better heads..

Ford ~ 289/271 HP 'K-Code' .......................... 1966 Dodge 'D-Dart'

Part #C30Z-6250-C .............................................. #2843719

'Mechanical' .......................................................... 'Mechanical'

Lift ............. .480" ............................................... .495" / .505"
Lift {NHRA} .{.478"} ...........................................{.504" / .515"}
Duration ...... 310* ................................................. 284*
Overlap ........ 82* .................................................. 60*
Lash ........... .019" ................................................. .017"

Intake {Opens} BTC .... 46* ..................................... 30*
Intake {Closes} ATC .... 12* ..................................... 74*

Exhaust {Opens} BBC .. 94* ..................................... 74*
Exhaust {Closes} ATC .. 36* ..................................... 30*

A-Body-Bomber,

I'll fill in the 'blanks' later.

Freddie B,

Here is the information you asked for.

Ford Valve Spring Pressure

Engine ................... Valve Closed ... Valve Open

* 289 2V and 4V ......... 65 lbs. .......... 170 lbs.
* 289 HiPo ................. 85 lbs. .......... 245 lbs.
* 302 4V .................... 80 lbs. .......... 190 lbs.
* 351W ...................... 75 lbs. .......... 200 lbs.
* Boss 302 ................. 90 lbs. .......... 275 lbs.

And speaking of 273 HP cams....I just pulled the engine from my 1966 Formula S for rebuild. The cam has pitting on a couple of lobes and the machine shop says I should replace the cam and lifters. I'd like to hear a few different cam options from you guys and gals on how to proceed.

Several years ago, I had the same cam issues with a 65 Formula S 273 and elected to send the cam to Egge for a regrind to factory specs. That engine now has a few thousand miles on it with no know issues. Any problem with a regrind?

The car will live a relaxed life style void of street races and/or high performance requirements.
The car is a cruiser, not a bruiser.

I done a little checking into Competition Cams and Mopar Performance and found none with the specifications listed for the 273 HP. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

i am going to try to find someone to grind the original 340 manual transmission profile, should be both streetable and nostalgic and somewhat rare, but not original. Maybe something you would be looking for?

And speaking of 273 HP cams....I just pulled the engine from my 1966 Formula S for rebuild. The cam has pitting on a couple of lobes and the machine shop says I should replace the cam and lifters. I'd like to hear a few different cam options from you guys and gals on how to proceed.

Several years ago, I had the same cam issues with a 65 Formula S 273 and elected to send the cam to Egge for a regrind to factory specs. That engine now has a few thousand miles on it with no know issues. Any problem with a regrind?

The car will live a relaxed life style void of street races and/or high performance requirements.

I done a little checking into Competition Cams and Mopar Performance and found none with the specifications listed for the 273 HP. Any suggestions?

Check out the Isky E4 cam.

Many like the Isky E-4 'Mechanical Camshaft'.

Lift ...................... .425"
Duration ............... 260*
Duration @ .050" ... 216*
Overlap ................. 44*

Same lift as 'Stock', but with 12* longer Duration, and an 18*
increase in Overlap.

Gives the 'little' 273 a good bump on the Low-End and early Mid-Range.

Great for a 'stock' 273 that is a Daily Driver.

Many like the Isky E-4 'Mechanical Camshaft'.

Lift ...................... .425" / .425"
Duration ............... 260* / 250*
Duration @ .050" ... 216* / 214*

Same lift as 'Stock', but with 12* longer Duration, and an 18*
increase in Overlap.

Gives the 'little' 273 a good bump on the Low-End and early Mid-Range.

Great for a 'stock' 273 that is a Daily Driver.

A popular choice.

Lots of 273 people here,seem to like it. Not normally an Isky guy,I do like their solid flat tappets...

Lots of 273 people here,seem to like it. Not normally an Isky guy,I do like their solid flat tappets...

A-Body-Bomber,

I think the 'output' numbers on the Isky E-4 over a 'stock' Camshaft is,

Horsepower Gain ........ +12 HP
Torque Gain ............... +14 Ft/Lbs.

A-Body-Bomber,

I think the 'output' numbers on the Isky E-4 over a 'stock' Camshaft is,

Horsepower Gain ........ +12 HP
Torque Gain ............... +14 Ft/Lbs.

My gawd, you know your stuff. The bigger solids (Z-30, 40,50 , on a 108 get it done on high compression Chevs, I just don't see them working in Mopars .

My gawd, you know your stuff. The bigger solids (Z-30, 40,50 , on a 108 get it done on high compression Chevs, I just don't see them working in Mopars .

You to Sir. I always learn something from your Posts..........:burnout:

Is it me, or did 'Racer Brown Camshafts' always go better with Mopar.

Followed by;
* Iskenderian
* Crane
* Crower

Thanks for the cam information....likely go with the Isky option. I'm curious that two Isky cams are mentioned in the posts. What is the difference between an E3 and E4?
Also, the Isky and Summit websites are the most non-intuitive (frustrating to say the least) when searching for answers. Any suggestions on the best place to buy an Isky cam kit?

Thanks again..FABO is the place.

Thanks for the cam information....likely go with the Isky option. I'm curious that two Isky cams are mentioned in the posts. What is the difference between an E3 and E4?
Also, the Isky and Summit websites are the most non-intuitive (frustrating to say the least) when searching for answers. Any suggestions on the best place to buy an Isky cam kit?

Iskenderian Camshafts

#390144 {E-4}
Lift ....................... .425 / .425"
Duration ................ 260* Intake / 250* Exhaust
Duration @ .050 " .... 216* Intake / 214* Exhaust
Overlap .................. 44*
Center-Line ............ 108*
Lash ...................... .020" / .020"

#390177 {B-777}
Lift ....................... .480" / .480"
Duration ................ 280* Intake / 280* Intake
Duration @ .050" .... 240* Exhaust / 240* Exhaust
Center-Line ............ 108*
Lash ..................... .018" / .018"

#505-A
Lift ..................... .507" / .507"
Duration .............. 300* Intake / 300* Exhaust
Duration @ .050" .. 254* Intake / 254* Exhaust
Center-Line .......... 108*
Lash .................... .028" / .028"

Iskenderian Camshafts

'E-3' Camshaft 'Mechanical'
Lift ...................... .448"/.448"
Duration ............... 266*/266*
Duration @ .050" ... 228*/228*
Overlap ................ 48*
Lash .................... .018"

'E-4' Camshaft 'Mechanical'
Lift ...................... .425"/.425'
Duration ............... 260*/250*
Duration @ .050" ... 218*/216*
Lash ..................... .020"

The 'E-3' makes a little more grunt on the 'Bottom-End' and 'Mid-Range'.

But it is like 'Night-and-Day over 4500 RPM's, as the 'E-3' makes some
very good upper Mid-Range power.

The Iskenderian 'E-3' Camshaft was called 'The Original 3/4 Race Camshaft'.

I like the Flatlander Racing website. JUst click on camshafts in the left column and follow the steps. I put a Isky E4 in my 273. There aren't many off the shelf choices for small solid lifter cams. tmm

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/

Here's a short video.........

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back