273 Charger Engine (235hp or 275hp)?

-
Interesting you mention high rpm. I advanced my cam a few degrees to give it more low end power. It rarely sees 4500 rpm (or needs to)

I have yet to see a video of a 273 with a tach at 6 or 7000 rpm. Just sayin'

When did you want a video? Mine sees 3,000 minimum every shift. 6,000 rpm in a heartbeat. I'm running the same cam as you.

Last edited:
New When did you want a video? Mine sees 3,000 minimum every shift. 6,000 rpm in a heartbeat. I'm running the same cam as you.
Any time. I would love to hear it.

What do you consider high RPM?

I'm under the impression that these motors can regularly be run up to the 5500 rpm range when shifting, without issue. That being said, my knowledge only consists of what other people have told me (and what I can read online)... this is my first Mopar, so I'm learning more each time I get on this forum. I appreciate all the input!

I'm under the impression that these motors can regularly be run up to the 5500 rpm range when shifting, without issue. That being said, my knowledge only consists of what other people have told me (and what I can read online)... this is my first Mopar, so I'm learning more each time I get on this forum. I appreciate all the input!

That is true.

I have both a 360/380HP Magnum crate engine and a 273/275HP race engine in my real D/Darts. I like the 273 because it's original to the car. Both/all are 4-speed cars.

D/Darts came with Camcraft cams (0.491595 intake and 0.501495 exhaust lift per mfg drawings), a 4160-3778 -750 cfm Holley carb, a handmade aluminum 1/2" thick carb adapter/spacer, a hand choke made from a c-body remote hood release, 4.86 gears, Doug's headers and y-pipe in the trunk.

Racer Brown was given the cam drawing by someone, me. He does not have the cam profiles to make them and the templetes cost more then a few bucks to have made. The D/Darts did use his valve springs.

When raced, they all ran 5.30ish gears and were shifted at 6900 rpm's. This would put them in the 13.00 second area and 105 mph. They used rosin for their burnouts with the 7" M&H Racemaster slicks. The headers back then had 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collectors (I have a set). Today's are 1 5/8" with 2 1/2" collectors.

The blocks were hand stamped B-273-4-2X. The 2X was the day of the month that the engine was built. I know of 3 D/Darts with engines and they are 24, 26, and 27. The first car delivered has the 4-27 block and was picked up at the assembly plant by Ted Spehar on April 29th.

The cars weigh in at around 2950 pounds. In 1966, D/S Darts could be from 2915-3105 to meet the 10.60 - 11.29 class index. And they cost $2875.

My D/Dart with the 380HP crate engine is a lot quicker. It has the 750 Holley double pumper, 3/8" fuel line, the "suckie' replacement fuel tank sending unit, 10 1/2 " kevlar clutch, and Doug's header with duel exhaust. I'd go with the 235 HP 273 if I were building one.

When I get it out this spring I'll try to take a video. Why does yours cut off at 4,500? Sounds like the old Chevy HEI ignition, or valve springs. More like the ignition.
Valve springs I think. (just a hunch)

-
Back