273 Commando Exhaust Question

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We've started working on restoring my brother's 1967 Barracuda notch. His car is a 273 2 barrel. He wants to upgrade to the Super Commando exhaust system. I was wondering if any of my FABO brothers could help us with pictures and measurements of the rectangular valence cut out for the exhaust tip. His car has a single exhaust 1/2 round cut out which will need to be modified.

I thought there used to be an article on FABO’s “”How to” forum that showed how to do this using a front valance/splash shield from a ‘65 Dart. I just went through all the articles there and couldn’t find it, so it’s possible that I saw it somewhere else. I’m bummed, because I had planned to use it on my GoGo coupe. The original rear panel With the cutout on it was replaced during an old crash damage repair. My 235hp 65 convertible still has its’ original panel and I plan to use it for reference. As I recall, the article used the cutouts from a front pan welded in the rear. Sorry I lost track of it.

I thought there used to be an article on FABO’s “”How to” forum that showed how to do this using a front valance/splash shield from a ‘65 Dart. I just went through all the articles there and couldn’t find it, so it’s possible that I saw it somewhere else. I’m bummed, because I had planned to use it on my GoGo coupe. The original rear panel With the cutout on it was replaced during an old crash damage repair. My 235hp 65 convertible still has its’ original panel and I plan to use it for reference. As I recall, the article used the cutouts from a front pan welded in the rear. Sorry I lost track of it.
I remember seeing that as well for a 65. 66 has no valance.

Thanks, Mike. Makes me feel better. At my age these things can get lost in the background clutter. I have a ‘65 two-door post donor car with a nice valance that I plan to use. My recollection (not reliable) is that the piece was made with sections of the front valance that had the proper radius and were welded together to make a section of the proper width. Maybe someone else on the forum has the post or info and can re-post it. It’s good stuff for people building clones or repairing improper crash repairs.

-
Back