273 commando

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I've assembled most of my 273 commando engine. All looks good but I'm not getting oil to the heads when spinning the pump with my drill. Shows 70 pounds oil preasure. Have new smelling pump. I hope my rechargeable drill just runs down to quickly to pump it up. I have everything assembled except the intake and valve covers. Hope to install the engine tomorrow
Thanks

I've assembled most of my 273 commando engine. All looks good but I'm not getting oil to the heads when spinning the pump with my drill. Shows 70 pounds oil preasure. Have new smelling pump. I hope my rechargeable drill just runs down to quickly to pump it up. I have everything assembled except the intake and valve covers. Hope to install the engine tomorrow
Thanks
You have to spin the motor by hand while priming to get oil up top.

You have to spin the motor by hand while priming to get oil up top.
Yes you do. The rockers get oik through am bearings hut not all the time unless the cam journal is grooved. Spin the drill and turn the crank slowly. The rocker shafts need to be bolted on correctly as well . You'll have to look that up. I don't want to tell you wrong.

when the oil come out, it runs on floor , usually. we oil rockers and pushrods when assembling , it already has oil there, the second it fires, you'll have oil up there, we've never had any oiling problems doing it this way.

I'm reading now and will check the rocker arms tonight or in the morning. Thanks

Somebody wrote this on here and I copied it.

Rocker Oiling.jpg

I had the same thing on mine. Rotating the internals while running the priming pump will oil the rockers alternately right side-left side.
I turned mine over enough to get four lube cycles on each side and called it good.

-
Back