273 Exhaust

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Does anybody know what I can use, and where can I get it, for my exhaust pipe? I have dual exhaust in the car now, but I just recently put in a re-built 1965 273 in my 64 GT. The dual exhaust is cut off right below the middle of the seats, and I would like to use it again. Being as frugal as I am, I'm trying to save myself a little money to use on the interior of the car. How hard is it to find the pipes that come from the stock manifolds?

what dual exhaust? if you are referring to stock dual exhaust, that didn't come until 67 383, maybe; or 68 340/383, for sure.
Even the hypo 273 in the early a-body was just single exhaust, but they did have an optional relatively large diameter single pipe with a throaty sounding attenuator, I think.
If you want a custom dual exhaust that's reasonably priced, that may be up to you to haggle a deal with a local exhaust shop, like previous posting suggests.

you want the Y pipe that goes from the 2 exhaust manifolds, youll probably not find one as they are welded and youd have to get it cut off from the back of the system. An exhaust shop could make it for you with 2" pipe which is about 50% bigger than the original kinked 1.75

I had dual exhaust with the slant that was in it when I bought it. I'm just thinking that I would like to keep the dual exhaust that is 75% there now. The car is far from stock now anyway, 4-speed instead of pushbutton auto, disc brakes instead of 9" drums, 273 instead of slant 6. You get the idea.

You don't need anything more than the 273 Hipo exhaust for a 273. I have a good used original Y pipe if you want, then go 2 1/2 pipe
all the way back. This will sound and work great.

If you have a welder you can buy a bunch of walker (Part #41816) ID-OD 20 degree bends. They were about $6 each. Had to pie cut the ones next to the manifold to get some more bend. Tach weld in place then remove for proper weld. If you don't have a welder you could drill a hole and insert a wood screw then remove for welding.

I found a GREAT muffler shop right down the street from me that told me "no problem, I will fit everything together for you". I have heard very good reviews about them. When it is done, I will try to post pics.

I found a GREAT muffler shop right down the street from me that told me "no problem, I will fit everything together for you". I have heard very good reviews about them. When it is done, I will try to post pics.
Perfect!

Thanks. We love pictures and new designs. I understand the engineers tested both single and dual exhaust, and found the single out-performed. How could that be? Old guys recall the ads to replace individual motorcycle exhausts w/ a "4 into 1" to give "30% more power" (we promise). I doubt that, but the factories started making them w/ "4 into 1" exhausts.

The 273 HiPo cars had a special single exhaust w/ muffler + resonator. One company re-props them for ~$750. HiPo cars had a recess on the rear valance to fit the rectangular resonator.

Thanks. We love pictures and new designs. I understand the engineers tested both single and dual exhaust, and found the single out-performed. How could that be? Old guys recall the ads to replace individual motorcycle exhausts w/ a "4 into 1" to give "30% more power" (we promise). I doubt that, but the factories started making them w/ "4 into 1" exhausts.

The 273 HiPo cars had a special single exhaust w/ muffler + resonator. One company re-props them for ~$750. HiPo cars had a recess on the rear valance to fit the rectangular resonator.
I loved the sound of those things! they sounded mean.

Well, the Muffler Man in Brockton, was awesome as per usual! He did me right by my exhaust situation. I dropped it off at 4:30 last Wednesday, and he told me that he would call me when he had it on the lift. He called at 9:00 AM on Thursday to tell me that there was not a lot of room in the engine bay, and could I come in and see what he was talking about. I promptly went for a ride to the shop, and saw that it was the passenger side that was the problem, not the drivers side that I thought it would be. We looked at it for several minutes and I asked him to just run the pipe between the 90 degree oil filter and the torsion bar. He said that he would and that he would call me a little later. At 4:00 on Thursday I called and asked if the car was still on the lift, and the secretary told me that she left a message on my cell phone at noon time telling me that it was all done. So I went back to pick it up and pay for the work. $200.00 !!! That was a fantastic deal, I think! So, a good muffler shop can be your friend for sure!

-
Back