273 intake suggestions

-

67Redfish

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am looking for advice about an intake for my 273. It was originally a 2bbl but now runs an Edelbrock Performer carb on a stock intake from a 69 340. I am running an XE262H cam and Summit Racing ignition. If I could come up with a 273 Commando intake and maybe a 4 hole carb spacer what good/bad changes should I expect? Is it even worthwhile to change intakes? Basically, I am just looking for a little more get up and go. Thanks.

Hello guys,

I am looking for advice about an intake for my 273. It was originally a 2bbl but now runs an Edelbrock Performer carb on a stock intake from a 69 340. I am running an XE262H cam and Summit Racing ignition. If I could come up with a 273 Commando intake and maybe a 4 hole carb spacer what good/bad changes should I expect? Is it even worthwhile to change intakes? Basically, I am just looking for a little more get up and go. Thanks.

If you can find one an Edelbrock D4B. They are out there but expect to pay around $125

Hello guys,

318 or 340 or 360./ No replacment for more displacment. ;)

The stock 273 4 barrel intakes are heavy and they don't flow very well. Stick with what you have.
A compression increase would help with better heads, but more cubes is the way to go. I went through this with my 273.

It may not even be worth the change in intakes. You will gain some good torque by a move to the Performer intake or the earlier one mentioned above.
A 4 hole spacer would be the best spacer to use. Double check hood clearance. The gain will be small.

It looks like the Edelbrock LD4B has smaller runners compared to the 340 intake I am using now. As I understand it, the reduced volume would increase velocity and thus torque, is that correct? Any idea how much gain I would be looking at? Thanks.

Not only smaller runners, but smaller ports. The ports on 340 heads & manifolds are way bigger. Check the intake manifold port size in comparison to the head port size & you'll see what I mean. The LD4B manifold is a small port version of the LD340 manifold & was designed for the 273.

It looks like the Edelbrock LD4B has smaller runners compared to the 340 intake I am using now.
Yes, it does.

As I understand it, the reduced volume would increase velocity and thus torque, is that correct? Any idea how much gain I would be looking at? Thanks.
Yes, that is correct, you'll probably look at 20 lbs. as a ruff general guesstimate.

Top picture is a LD340, modded as per the MP book.
The bottom is a LD4B.

100_0467.JPG

100_0468.JPG

-
Back