273 New Water Pump

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the water pump on my 273. I have been to O'Reilly, AutoZone, NAPA and CarQuest and every water pump they have on the shelf for my car looks like the one in the first picture. It has that extra boss (see red circle) cast into the front of the water pump. In addition it also has a larger bypass hole and is forcing me to use the adapter in the second picture. I'm not a big fan of leaks and this looks like a leak waiting to happen.

I know I'm being picky but that is not what I have on my car now. I'd like to be able to replace this water pump with one that looks like my original (in the third picture). Does anyone know where I can get a water pump that looks like the one I have now? I'd prefer a new one but at this point I guess I could do rebuilt to get what I want.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Am I being too picky about this?

Attachments

• IMG_0947_edit.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0950_edit.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0906_edit.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 400
I bought mine at Autozone about 8 years ago and I think it looks like the one you have on your engine. I would have to look at it tonight but I think it does.

Im sure someone will respond by tonight. I can also look it up tonight since I work PT at Advance but I will only be able to look at a picture. We dont stock it.

The last time I needed one I had the same issue with the heater hose requiring and adapter. I went to NAPA armed with the Gates number I had bought several years ago and they only crossed to the one with the larger opening. I went to Oreill and they ordered one and it came with the large hole. Carquest was also large and AutoZone was too. None had theat extra boss in your first picture though. I finally woound up buying the first one I looked at from NAPA and using an adapter. It has worked OK for a few years now.

I just looked on www.rockauto.com under 65 Dart 273 and all 7 photos look like your original iron water pump, prices $24 to $54 + shipping, hopefully wysiwyg. ebay is also great for photos.

Note there is a difference between factory AC cars and not. As people on FABO determined, the difference (# blades) is not for better water flow. The designers certainly wanted max water flow for either. They added extra cooling ability via radiator selection. AC cars have a smaller diameter pulley so water pump rpm is faster and thus needs fewer blades (6 vs 8). I recall this because it seems backwards (expect more blades for AC), but verify my memory. This might also be just for later alum wp's.

I put a later alum w.p. along w/ radiator on my 65 273, but that opened a can of worms (p.s. pump, pulleys, clearance to rad.).

I just looked on www.rockauto.com under 65 Dart 273 and all 7 photos look like your original iron water pump, prices $24 to $54 + shipping, hopefully wysiwyg. ebay is also great for photos.

Note there is a difference between factory AC cars and not. As people on FABO determined, the difference (# blades) is not for better water flow. The designers certainly wanted max water flow for either. They added extra cooling ability via radiator selection. AC cars have a smaller diameter pulley so water pump rpm is faster and thus needs fewer blades (6 vs 8). I recall this because it seems backwards (expect more blades for AC), but verify my memory. This might also be just for later alum wp's.

I put a later alum w.p. along w/ radiator on my 65 273, but that opened a can of worms (p.s. pump, pulleys, clearance to rad.).

Yes 6 blades on A/C cars and 8 blades on Non-A/C cars. Seems totally *** backwards to me too but that is what the books show.

I need to replace the water pump on my 273. I have been to O'Reilly, AutoZone, NAPA and CarQuest and every water pump they have on the shelf for my car looks like the one in the first picture. It has that extra boss (see red circle) cast into the front of the water pump. In addition it also has a larger bypass hole and is forcing me to use the adapter in the second picture. I'm not a big fan of leaks and this looks like a leak waiting to happen.

I know I'm being picky but that is not what I have on my car now. I'd like to be able to replace this water pump with one that looks like my original (in the third picture). Does anyone know where I can get a water pump that looks like the one I have now? I'd prefer a new one but at this point I guess I could do rebuilt to get what I want.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Am I being too picky about this?

Damn, generic part... better off with a remanufactured pump if you want the car to look right and not have adapters.

Are those factory nipples ? Looking at you original pump the one on the right looks to have the larger thread.Maybe check with Mancini or others for the factory nipples. Just a thought.

Buy mine...didnt leak when I pulled it. Cheap! PM me if you need an old one. I bet you can get yours a wet bearing from NAPA or some other online source and a machine shop could press it in. It shows how to in the FSM!
092012191717.jpg

I'm experiencing the same situation here in B.C. Canada.

They offer a "new pump", it came with the same casting shown by Mopardude,
- cheap $30.. no core ,,, but you can't find a "rebuilt", with an old casting,...

My parts guy called "Fenco", our national rebuilder,, they said if I sent my old pump,, they would rebuild it, - - for about $100....

I just ordered one from Rock auto,, and I guess I had better phone tommorrow, and make sure I'm getting an old casting rebuilt..

If anyone working at a supplier, can check their shelves for old castings,, I, for one , will buy it, and likely MoparDude would like the first, if you have two...

thnx much . . . grant

got mine at a Napa store a year ago. Try online it looks like the
one you want is TFW 43030 for new.
Never seen one like the one you have pictured.

I used a 67 Dart with a 273 for car info.

My parts guy called "Fenco", our national rebuilder,, they said if I sent my old pump,, they would rebuild it, - - for about $100....

Dang, cant be that hard...Press this out, beadblast casting and press new one back in?
water-pump-bearing-387.jpg

Well, the rebuilt pump from RockAuto was also the "new" casting..

SO BE CAREFULL,, don't turn in your core before checking which pump you got,, you may prefer to keep the old housing,, if you are particular.

I'm going to try Pishta's advice,, and try and use the new parts and overhaul the old housing.. lol.. I just gotta try it ..

I got a rebuilt one from O'Reillys that looked just like the original for my 67.

I bought 1 from AutoZone & didn't have this problem at all. They did special order it. I had to reuse my fittings

Attachments

• Picture 079.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 367
  • Picture 090.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Picture 087.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 274
Got mine through Auto zone and it has the extra boss as well. I don't mind the larger bypass though as I have a ld4b to put on later and it has the larger bypass as well. For now I am using a brass reducer that has a hex head so I can remove it easily later.

-
Back