275/60/15 tires on stock Duster

-

MikeD

Reaction score
Just wondered if they will fit without rubbing ? springs are in stock location, stock wheel tubs as well.
Mick

255 is as large as you can go or you will have problems and even with that size you might have a little rubbing with stock shocks

255 is as large as you can go or you will have problems and even with that size you might have a little rubbing with stock shocks

Sorry, I’ve put 275s on my Duster with the stock spring locations. If you use the right backspace, they fit.

They fit.
Had a Hoosier 275 radial on my 71 Duster and they fit, need right backspace. Forget now if i had 4.5 or 5.5 backspace, but it was one or the other. The Mickeys are a hair bigger

15 x 7 4.25" stock wheel fits, plenty of room if your springs are in decent shape.
Most guys screw up on the back space and complain they do not fit.

No issues.

Ny87vQ.jpg

I had 275s on my 72 Duster with the springs in the stock location. As said, you just need to nail the backspacing on the wheels. What worked on one person's Duster, may not work on yours. You've gotta measure your car to see what you're working with. They're all slightly different.

The car is on the ship at the moment, i pick it up next week but the rear tyres look shorter than the fronts, so i just want something to fill the rear arches out a little more, i'll be happy with 255/ 60 or even 70 profile.
Here's a couple of pics
20171016_133009 (3).jpg
73 duster 2.jpg
of the car, it's got a 360 in it.
Mike

The car is on the ship at the moment, i pick it up next week but the rear tyres look shorter than the fronts, so i just want something to fill the rear arches out a little more, i'll be happy with 255/ 60 or even 70 profile.
Here's a couple of picsView attachment 1715104500 View attachment 1715104501 of the car, it's got a 360 in it.
Mike

You'll definitely have to take a look at your clearances when the car arrives and consider the size of tires it has on it already. It looks to me like it probably doesn't have the right backspace to put 275's on it. So, unless you're planning on buying new rims as well you'll have to check the width of those rims and the backspacing and go from there.

Good looking car though! :thumbsup:

i'd leave it just the way it is and think 255's are perfect.I might change the wheels...but to each his own.

255/60/15 rear and a 205/70/15 front are a nice combo. Fronts are about 1/2" shorter no real noticeable difference.

Also depending what gear you have in the car too will determine tire size speed gear too. The 205/70/15 fits nice up front on a 6" wheel.

Thanks some good info here, i just think the rear tyres look shorter than the fronts, so it's more of a height thing than width. Untill i get the car and see what's on it i can't really do anything.
Mick

Thanks some good info here, i just think the rear tyres look shorter than the fronts, so it's more of a height thing than width. Untill i get the car and see what's on it i can't really do anything.
Mick
Congrats on the new ride man, hope its a good car when you get it.

Beautiful car Mike. Yea, looks like the tires are too big on the front. It would look fantastic with some Chrysler rally's.

Thanks Fisher, that's very kind of you, the transport guy who collected it said it was very tidy, it's my fourth Duster and it's the best condition wise, not the quickest but probably not the slowest.
Thanks TF360.. I'm a racer at heart, so i personally prefer the draglites.
Mick

I want to get my wheels as close as possible to outer wheel wells. My ride is a dart sport. Some one on here don't remember who said he had 4" backspace on his car and wheel came up perfect to wheel well. I think I will go 4". What is you all's thought on this? By the way his was a duster.

When I bought my Duster it had 15 x 7 with 3.75 inch back space, and it moved the tires close to the fenders, but you could not put a wide tire on it.
Why not try some spacers on the rear and figure out what your car likes.

I currently have 15x7 rear rallys but want 15x8 rallys anyway. So will probably go to 4" backspace. The 15x7s have 4.25 and dont come out enough for my taste!

The car has 265/50/15's on the rear, so i think i'm going to fit either 255/70/15's or 255/60/15's, will a 70 profile go under ?

Hey Mike what did you end up doing? This is mine with draglites and 275/60/15 rear and 207/70/15 fronts. Will be installing 1.5" lowering blocks soon and getting the bum down where it needs to be. The springs didnt settle.

1zlf9u0.jpg

-
Back