2822963 wiper motor 2 speed park bench test

-

CL3406

Reaction score
I am looking for a wiper motor bench test that covers the park circuit. I have a 2822963 2 speed, 3 wire wiper motor out of a 67 GTX that doesn't park. I know these motors made it into A bodies as well. Not to waste anyone's time I can confirm the following.

- This test is not covered in the original 67 manuals
- Wiper Switch test was done & is operating just fine as per manual continuity checks.
- Ground at motor & switch is perfect. I believe the ground at the switch is not required on the 3 wire motor never the less I made sure it is ok.
- Park switch was removed & inspected. It is brand new with no broken pieces & no voltage drop across the contact.

It appears the motor needs to go backwards when the wiper switch is in the off position in order to move the park cam to open the contacts to park the motor. The wiper switch does supply power to blue park switch wire but does move the motor in the reverse position. Before I open up the motor I would like to confirm with a proper park bench test. I did receive this test from Kim at Passion in the past for newer 4 wire variable but she is no longer around. Any test info would be appreciated. Thanks.
2822963 Wiper motor 2 speed.jpg

I am not sure about the following but this is my understanding.

I was under the impression that the park cir has a dedicated power source that is broken with every rotation of the wipers by the park switch.

When the wiper switch is put to low the voltage goes on a seperate wire to the motor and keeps it found even if the park switch is opening and closing.

Once power is removed by turning the switch off. The seperate always on park power keeps the motor running till the park switch opens and the motor stops.

On other newer cars I have, the motor does reverse but that is to tuck the wipers into their parked location

I just confirmed my recollection
With key in RUN or ACC.

The red circled wire has battery voltage

The green circled wire has 0 V

Wiper switch in the low position

Red still has power and green has power but there was a fluctuation every so often.

I turned the wiper switch off when wipers were in front of driver.

Red still has power, green has power till it gets to the park position then no power.

The yellow might be a brush on its own, not sure.

Screenshot_20230130-114032.png

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Great info thanks. The issue I have is the motor turns counter clockwise when you look at it under the dash. This direction will not operate the park cam to open and close the contact continuously under normal operation. What direction does your motor turn? Maybe my new park switch was put together improperly when they made it?? Thanks again for your help.

Rotation, I'll have to get back to you on that.
The garage is 27, outside it's around 5 and still snowing. I can barely open the car doors to get in let alone under the dash.

:lol:

LOL. No problem. I will check 69 Swinger . It should spin the same direction. Might be hard to see with A/c but will have a look. Thanks.

What direction does your motor turn
I found some photos and that leads me to believe that the motor rotates CCW when viewed facing the front of the car

Wiper pivots point down and toward the drivers side. (7 to 8 o'clock)

The photo I found of my car under dash has the motor parked with the motor pivot pointed down and toward the drivers side ( 7 to 8 o'clock)

But I will get you an answer today

I found some photos and that leads me to believe that the motor rotates CCW when viewed facing the front of the car

Wiper pivots point down and toward the drivers side. (7 to 8 o'clock)

The photo I found of my car under dash has the motor parked with the motor pivot pointed down and toward the drivers side ( 7 to 8 o'clock)

But I will get you an answer today
Yes I did confirm it turns cCW when you look under the dash towards the front of the car. The new park switch , bought years ago by the owner of this car, will not open the contacts in the cCW direction. only clockwise so looks like junk park switch. Unfortunately I don’t have an old one to compare. :mad:

Video of 2 speed 67 dart wiper

New video by Dana Nance

I saw somewhere a dissembly video

Temperature in my garage
PXL_20230131_000201008.jpg

Windex is not designed for sub freezing temperatures

PXL_20230130_235913025.jpg

Did you watch the tech video?

Some I testing info.

I would love to see inside your gearbox

Last edited:
Video of 2 speed 67 dart wiper

New video by Dana Nance

I saw somewhere a dissembly video

Temperature in my garage
View attachment 1716041923

Windex is not designed for sub freezing temperatures

View attachment 1716041924

Did you watch the tech video?

Some I testing info.

I would love to see inside your gearbox
Boy that’s cold. I did watch part of the video. Thanks. I’m not going to mess around with the motor anymore. It will never park with the current park switch. Physically just not possible. The owner has a 962 variable we are going to test and a 379 switch to go with it. Thanks for your help.

I know these motors made it into A bodies as well.
Yes they did.
There is a list floating around the internet that shows them for '66 - so maybe '66 B bodies ? and if so maybe in a 66 FSM.

Reported here that these were made by Leece Neville Wiper motors on 67-68 barracudas

Skim through this thread where we identify four '67 a body wiper moter & switch variations and the wiring

and this one Wiper Motor Interchange List with part numbers/years/body styles...

This is the wiring on my '67 with the two speed switch. Switch with numbers pictured here
upload_2020-4-22_21-12-57-png.1715514141

Blue is probably Park function because its on the gear and therefore has the switch plate.
So maybe Brown is power in and red and blue are returns.

Connections here if that's of any help.
upload_2020-3-5_9-34-4-png.1715481906

According to my wiring diagram.

Pink is power in to the switch

Brown with trace is output to washer pump

Green goes directly to motor
Red goes directly to motor
Blue goes to motor park switch

White is odd. It appears to feed the reverse lights through the wiper switch????

PXL_20230131_012506732.jpg

Sure looks like the Red and the Green are tied together at pins at 1 o'clock

Does anyone know if red and green are tied together on the switch. The image makes it appear that way but it does not make slot of sense

Screenshot_20230130-194409.png

Black is brown
Mustard and white is brown with trace
Screenshot_20230130-200519.png

Last edited:
White is odd. It appears to feed the reverse lights through the wiper switch????
Correct.
For manual transmission it goes to cavity H

For column automatic you know where it goes.

I was just trying to stick to the wiper motor and how it works so he could test his.

I figured while I had a second I would update this thread. A lot of threads never get finalized so we never know the final result. LOL. My park issue with the 2822963 (early) 3 wire 2 speed motor was an incorrect "new" white plastic park switch. The switch had been sitting around since sometime in the 90's so I have no idea where it came from? We had a 2822963 (late) 3 wire 2 speed motor with the updated metal park switch so I opened that up & unseized it. Works perfectly, park issue solved. Just to note even though the 963 & 962 motors are called variable they are just 2 speed motors. They work with the 2 speed switch. The switch does not need to be grounded. The variable switch that works with a 4 wire variable motor does need to be grounded to operate properly. Another final note the switch tests in the 67 manual are 100% correct but the motor bench tests I found are less than desirable. Thanks to those that took the time to help me out.

My park issue with the 2822963 (early) 3 wire 2 speed motor was an incorrect "new" white plastic park switch. The switch had been sitting around since sometime in the 90's so I have no idea where it came from? We had a 2822963 (late) 3 wire 2 speed motor with the updated metal park switch so I opened that up
Early vs late?

Any external clues as to which is which

Sure looks like the Red and the Green are tied together at pins at 1 o'clock
Green wire doesn't get used with this wiper.
IIRC only one of the four arrangements has a motor that uses it. Its in the thread linked above where Redfish posted photos of it.

Early vs late?

Any external clues as to which is which
The early 67 has the white plastic park switch with yellow wire from park switch going into the motor. See my original posting picture. The later 67 has a metal park switch with no yellow wire going into the motor. The yellow wire is eliminated. The later motor only has 2 wires going into motor housing, red and brown. I will try and post a picture of the later motor later on.

Looks like they tapped the brown wire in the clamped down section. 3 wires in 4 wires out.

Makes me wonder if the yellow wire just ties to the brown wire inside the motor on the earlier ones.

I did receive this test from Kim at Passion in the past for newer 4 wire variable
Is this test something that you have written and can share? I think that could be helpful in my situation with the variable speed wiper on my '68.

Is this test something that you have written and can share? I think that could be helpful in my situation with the variable speed wiper on my '68.
I have test procedures for my Variable 69 Swinger from Kim. Not sure if it's the same for 68 or not but will try & find it and attach it on this thread. I need a bit of time though, tied up working. Maybe late today or tomorrow morning Pacific time. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay. This is what I found in my stash of papers. This came with my 69 variable after Kim got finished with it. I hope this helps.
Variable 69 Motor Testing.jpg

Thanks for that; appreciate it. FYI, after I got your reply, I looked up the Passion4Mopars site and found this info as well as lots of other very useful info on the "Blog/Knowledge Base" tab. Thanks again for sending me in that direction.

-
Back