289 vs 318 ..... Ford vs Mopar

FoMoCo vs Mopar

• 289 - rated 210 hp

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • 318 - rated 230

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
-
Actually, I don't recall 289s? They may have differed than 302s. 351s definitely had this issue. That I at least saw? (Shouldn't assume Ford small blocks are all simular. I never understood their thinking of "Engine Families" they had 4 different versions of 351. None were directly component swappable. And of course their 352. Which was completely different.)
Had a 352 in a HD Ford 700. They are not the same as a 351 C. The 352 was a work horse and the 351 ( 70' cougar) was a street burner. I do respect the SB 289 ford motors, 283 chevy as well as the 273 Mopars. Just a bunch of fun SB motors, but the 340's rule in their placement in the A-Bodies.

The Cleveland family has got to be some of the best engines Ford ever produced.
Cleveland heads had design issues. The 2V had larger combustion chambers of open chamber design for lower compression. The intake port volume was reduced a bit for more velocity. On a larger displacement engine they breath fairly well if the camshaft is changed.
The Cleveland, 400 and 351M all shared a poor oil system. Main and rod oiling was compromised and bearing life was about 100,000 miles until the oil pressure light would start flashing at stops.
The 289/302 are some of the best around for design. Compact and light. With aluminium heads and intake the weight comes down from about 460 pounds to 400 pounds. The all aluminium Rover 4.2/4.6 is about that weight, and the Ford will spank its *** all over town.
That said and being a Ford guy, the old Mopar engines were good. When a Chevy got to 100,000 miles it was clapped out while the 273, 318 and 383 were going strong still. 150,000 and many were just starting to burn oil again since breakin.
The Chrysler flathead six and the leaning tower of power in NYC taxis would go 300,000 miles and some 500,000. Not drag strip terrors but reliable and fuel efficient drivers.

Mustang. Hertz Rent A car package. They used Paxton superchargers.
Nope. K code HiPo Shelby GT 350's. Shelby had a 427 supercharged Cobra. I think Bill Cosby bought one of those but sold it real soon as it was too much.
Late '50's Thunderbirds with the 312 could be ordered with a McCulough centrifugal supercharger. Later became Paxton.

Nope. K code HiPo Shelby GT 350's. Shelby had a 427 supercharged Cobra. I think Bill Cosby bought one of those but sold it real soon as it was too much.
Late '50's Thunderbirds with the 312 could be ordered with a McCulough centrifugal supercharger. Later became Paxton.
The GT350S was paxton supercharged. SO it wasn't the Hertz. I got that part wrong. But the GT350S was a package. I'm not arguing semantics here. I'm saying there WAS a supercharged early Mustang. PERIOD.

Yes, but regardless, if you wanted one and had the money, you could get one. That's the point I am making.
My understanding the Professional Racing circuit people were the only ones that were able to purchase the 68' Hemi Dart. I also believe they were not street legal. Came with Van seats, no head rest, but were changed out for racing ones, no rear seating, as were the tires & rims, stock steel and no hub caps. Had mufflers, but only for transportation and also pitched.

My understanding the Professional Racing circuit people were the only ones that were able to purchase the 68' Hemi Dart. I also believe they were not street legal. Came with Van seats, no head rest, but were changed out for racing ones, no rear seating, as were the tires & rims, stock steel and no hub caps. Had mufflers, but only for transportation and also pitched.
..then by a 318 dart and beat 'em ....

:lol:

Uhhh hell no they weren't street legal. Not in their delivered form. Didn't take much to make it happen though.

-
Back