295/50/15 69 barracuda

-

n8ling

Reaction score
I just recently scored some 15" rallyes with some 275/60/15's and was very surprised that they fit no prob, I even have extra room. I would eventually like to lower to back end and tuck tire, my question is will a 295 fit in the upper wheel well with an 8" wide rim?
The rallyes have a 4" backspacing I believe and I used 7/16 spacers to push me out and I still have 1-1 1/2 space at fender lip( not rolled yet!) Feels pretty close to backside of tire !
I have been searching and reading threads on rims tires mini tubes offset shackles etc.
Almost all I can find with 295's are tubed or fender over tire.
Any pics or advise ?

Large bolt pattern with aftermarket large bolt axles or cut down C-body/truck axles?

Or small bolt pattern or redrille small bolt axles?

Factory and aftermarket 15x7 rallyes are 4.25" backspacing.

The outer inner fender starts to turn in on my 68 Barracuda. So while it will clear my rolled wheel lip, when the tire goes up it will rub the outer fender lip.

I would suggest you to try to simulate your current tire moving straight upward. Maybe pull an axle and find a way to keep the tire rim in the same position and move it up. Then see how much room you have inside and out. Then add the additional for the wider rim and wider tire.

Since you are currently as close on the inside as possible, all the additional width from the rim and tire will all go to the outside. You need to keep the backspacing the same or even a smidge less.

BEFORE

7967846-OptimaRear7_29_10TireFitSm1.JPG

AFTER

7967846-OptimaRear8_1_10TireFitSm4.JPG

BEFORE

7967846-OptimaRear7_29_10TireFit3Sm.JPG

AFTER

Attachments

• OptimaRear8_1_10TireFit2Sm.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 307
The plan is to move the springs inboard 3" I have an opportunity to by some 295 local and good $ new. Just not sure if tire will rub inside inner well?? Don't want to waste $
I know every action has a reaction!! Thanks

I made em fit ok, on a 10 inch rim.That 8 incher is just too narrow. Yeah you can put the 295s on them, but theres no way they will run flat to the road. I run mine on 10s and 24 psi to get them flat.And 24 is borderline/almost too low. At 22psi it starts to corner oddly Those 295s want 11 inch rims.If they dont run flat, whats the point? Might as well run a 275/60. BTW a 275/50 also wants more than 8 inchers.
But back to the 295s. Mounted on a 10 inch rim theres plenty of room in the wheelhouses(WH) for them, even at a lowered ride height. The issue is not the WHs. Its trying to get a backspace to work with. I finally gave up. I took my favorite 4.5BSers and narrowed the rear to work, and moved the springs inboard with a kit. 3/4 inch IIRC. It puts the springs just inboard of the inner WHs.
I actually did this to put 325/50s in there on the same 4.5BS. Yeah the 325s fit. And you can drive almost normally, at speeds under 25 MPH. Just dont try to corner aggressively too much over that, cuz it wants to rub on the inner WHs. If I really wanted to, I could move the wheels out 1/4 inch and it would be fine.
Moving the springs in is cheap and easy.
Getting the rear narrowed in not expensive.
Getting a BS to work with the stock stuff means custom wheels,ie; expensive.
There are lots and lots of 4.5ish bs wheels to choose from.
I think at one time I figured out certain 17" Mustang wheels would fit on the stock width rear.But I just couldnt live with the thought of Ford wheels on my S-clone.
I highly, highly, recommend that you not try to run the 295s on 8 inch rims. You will be disappointed.

That is exactly the info I am looking for. I do have a set of 10" slots I can use. 315 's would even be better. Just didn't think the w/h was wide enough!! Thanks again.

I just talked to a buddy who knows a guy that will widen and b/s my rallyes for 40$ each.
That is the best news I've heard for a while!
Still lookin for tire tuck pics

I wonder if the spiders can be moved far enough in the 10"Rallys to work on the stock-width rearend. Measure carefully. And if they dont run true afterwards,they are trash.
New aftermarket Rallys are not expensive. I think I paid a bit over $200 for a pair of 10 inchers with a custom bs. They came in epoxy primer, however.

-
Back