2bbl Intake... To Make or To Find?

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
Howdy, gang.

I've bumped into some trouble finding an affordable 2bbl intake for the old /6. Currently running the stock Holley and I'd like to upgrade. I've found some good prospects to purchase, but I'm more interested in buying a house than spending $300 plus for a clean manifold. However, I have found an iron single bbl manifold for $35+ shipping on ebay. Would it be worth purchasing, chopping into, and welding on a 2bbl mount? That would be a $80 endeavor versus a $300+ patient find. You pros have it down from what I've read. Don't hesitate to grill my idea. Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks in advance.

Some people have done it. No welding necessary, though. You can mill the one barrel flange flat with the top surface of the manifold, use "whatever" adapter they want for a template, open the manifold up to match the adapter and bolt the adapter on it. I have a few one barrel intakes and a two barrel adapter myself and am thinking about trying it just to see if I can do it.

Not sure a 1 barrel manifold would support a 2 barrel carb. I suppose it would depend if the velocity of the flow would suit your engine. But 35 clams is a decent price for a manifold. As time goes on all this stuff will get harder to find.

Ok, i just gotta ask ya.
What kind of prices are you finding in the $300.00 range for one of those slant 6, 2bbl. intake manifolds?
They Selling at that price, or people Asking that price?
The last one that i had sold for $200.00, and i had to advertise it for awhile before it sold.
My thinking is in the $200.00 - $225.00 range, a now a days, fair pricing.
Well then, good luck coming up with one, to purchase.

Not sure a 1 barrel manifold would support a 2 barrel carb. I suppose it would depend if the velocity of the flow would suit your engine. But 35 clams is a decent price for a manifold. As time goes on all this stuff will get harder to find.
I modified a stock intake to have a 500 Holly two bbl with the barrels parrlell with the engine. works fine. I milled the carb mount off the manifold, and spray welded a 3/8 steel plate with the Holley configuration, to the manifold. Did it in 1978 and that manifold is still on my 66 Valiant, with a 170 running high 12's with a fogger system.

Howdy, gang.

I've bumped into some trouble finding an affordable 2bbl intake for the old /6. Currently running the stock Holley and I'd like to upgrade. I've found some good prospects to purchase, but I'm more interested in buying a house than spending $300 plus for a clean manifold. However, I have found an iron single bbl manifold for $35+ shipping on ebay. Would it be worth purchasing, chopping into, and welding on a 2bbl mount? That would be a $80 endeavor versus a $300+ patient find. You pros have it down from what I've read. Don't hesitate to grill my idea. Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks in advance.
Clifford performance makes a bolt on kit that works fantastic!

Clifford performance makes a bolt on kit that works fantastic!
You sure about that??
An adapter from a one bbl. intake manifold, to a two bbl. carburetor?
Or.
An adapter from an aftermarket 4bbl. intake manifold, down to a two bbl. carburetor.

Couldn't find on their web site what your referring too.

You sure about that??
An adapter from a one bbl. intake manifold, to a two bbl. carburetor?
Or.
An adapter from an aftermarket 4bbl. intake manifold, down to a two bbl. carburetor.

Couldn't find on their web site what your referring too.
Yes it is a single 2bbl carb kit with a weber 500cfm carb i have it on my 225.

Is this what you are looking for?
IMG_20210922_180830436.jpg

I'm not being a smart ***, I really don't know what a 2bbl intake for a /6 looks like. But this has 2 holes in it, so I'm guessing...

This was in the back of my Trailduster when I bought it.

If this is what you need, you are welcome to it. Just pay for the shipping.

View attachment 1715794431

I'm not being a smart ***, I really don't know what a 2bbl intake for a /6 looks like. But this has 2 holes in it, so I'm guessing...

Youre one helluva guy giving thar for free...sincerely...although I realize shipping may be 100 bux...:)

View attachment 1715794431

Holy cow. You betcha! I’ll send a DM now.

For more context, gang, I saw a few interesting videos showing some fellas cutting out a proper sized hole for a mount then welding, at the proper degree, the mount to the manifold. I’m their case, though, they were working with aluminum. In my case, I was hoping for iron. BUT, I think john6464 came in clutch with this one. I’m still open to discuss this, though, in case john6464’s manifold isn’t exactly what I need.

Also, someone mention a 1bbl manifold potentially being too weak to support a 2bbl… Is this referring to the thickness of the cast?

Sounds like Jonn has you covered. As far as adapters go, if they funnel down to the bore hole size of the 1bbl manifold, I don't know if that would be any kind of improvement. That tiny 1bbl bore is the choke point of the whole system — you can only get so much air through it without forced induction.

BTW I actually have a 1-to-2bbl adapter of some kind, that does exactly what I described. Not sure what the bolt pattern matches, or if it's even for a Mopar.

Last edited:
Youre one helluva guy giving thar for free...sincerely...although I realize shipping may be 100 bux...:)
Well, I'm not fishing for compliments... but I'll take them!
Hey, I've said many times on this site that parts do absolutely no good sitting on a shelf somewhere.
These parts were made to go on cars and that's where they should be!

If the OP is legitimately trying to buy a house (instead of buying car parts), then this is the least a MOPAR brother can do for him.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks every part I have laying around is worth a small fortune.
I'd rather give it away than let it collect dust for a decade. Like I said, it was in the back of a vehicle I bought, so I'm just passing it along to the car it's supposed to be in.

And, yes, shipping may be a b*tch. We'll see.

Well, I'm not fishing for compliments... but I'll take them!
Hey, I've said many times on this site that parts do absolutely no good sitting on a shelf somewhere.
These parts were made to go on cars and that's where they should be!

If the OP is legitimately trying to buy a house (instead of buying car parts), then this is the least a MOPAR brother can do for him.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks every part I have laying around is worth a small fortune.
I'd rather give it away than let it collect dust for a decade. Like I said, it was in the back of a vehicle I bought, so I'm just passing it along to the car it's supposed to be in.

And, yes, shipping may be a b*tch. We'll see.

Good for you man! Thanks for doing that!

For more context, gang, I saw a few interesting videos showing some fellas cutting out a proper sized hole for a mount then welding, at the proper degree, the mount to the manifold. I’m their case, though, they were working with aluminum. In my case, I was hoping for iron. BUT, I think john6464 came in clutch with this one. I’m still open to discuss this, though, in case john6464’s manifold isn’t exactly what I need.

Also, someone mention a 1bbl manifold potentially being too weak to support a 2bbl… Is this referring to the thickness of the cast?

if you’re talking about my post I’m getting at a one barrel manifold is more than likely a choking point for a two barrel carb

The guy I bought my 2-barrell manifold from shipped it in the board game sized flat rate box.

well being the OP and the guy offering the manifold are both in Texas maybe they are close enuf that one could drive to meet the other???

if you’re talking about my post I’m getting at a one barrel manifold is more than likely a choking point for a two barrel carb
the way Ive seen them machined for it, that kinda takes care of itself in the process.... look at the size of the runners on a 1 bbl vs those of a 2 bbl.... not much difference. there are how to threads on doing this sort of thing, and it seems to work out.

It will. It's been done a good bit. The runners on the Offenhauser four barrel intake are the same size as the stock one barrel intake.

-
Back