3/4 or Full Groove Main Bearings

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
What's the pro and cons of running either one of these main bearings in a daily driver with a mild built small block?

I'm using full groove mains on my current slant build.

If it's a 340...full groove and slot the bearings oil holes. Period .
Oil clearance ,Preference, oil mods,rpm, oil pump, cam journal full grooved or not..
All play apart in your bearing choice.

I like the 3/4 groove. It provides extra lube, but the brg has it's full surface area available to take the load where it is most loaded.

I like the 3/4 groove. It provides extra lube, but the brg has it's full surface area available to take the load where it is most loaded.
I thought about having the oil holes in the crankshaft chamfered, run a standard volume oil pump but check out all of the clearances and pressure relief spring, 3/4 groove main bearings. Measuring the clearance between the bottom of the oil pan and the pick up tube. I've read that running full groove main bearings affects bearing load, how can such a small groove cause this? Would the use of a 340 windage tray be a good idea? I'm looking for ways to increase the longevity and dependability of my build. What would be a high quality oil to use and viscosity? Wix oil filters a good choice as well?

I read that running full groove main bearings affects bearing load, how can such a small groove cause this? Would the use of a 340 windage tray be a good idea? I'm looking for ways to increase the longevity and dependability of my build. What would be a high quality oil to use and viscosity? Wix oil filters a good choice as well?
For a daily driver, don’t worry about the hearing load. I picked up a warmed over 318 from the original owner that had over 323,000 miles in 10 years, gave to his daughter for 4 years of collage 3 hours away, home every weekend, then his son for 4 years of collage at the same collage, he said he was never home. But I’m sure he went to Maine for lobster tails for dinner, DC for crab, St. Louis for a beer run because he can… LMAO

He then used the car in NYC rush for his job 40 miles one way trip for 10 years after his kids got done with the car. How many miles on this car?

It ran fine without a knock ping rattle or hick up. I took it out and dissembled it. The bearings were a bit worn. Nothing horrible. Ran like a champ!

If you’d going to put some good power in this engine north of 450 HP, race it on weekends in the back alley ways, something other than a stock replacement bearing would be in order.

I'm using full groove mains on my current slant build.
You need that for those No Prep Kings TV appearances you make... you look good on camera (I saw security video of you "shopping" at WalMart).....

I was in the next isle stuffing ladies undies in my Jeg's shopping bag.

You need that for those No Prep Kings TV appearances you make... you look good on camera (I saw security video of you "shopping" at WalMart).....

I was in the next isle stuffing ladies undies in my Jeg's shopping bag.
What does this have to do with the op?

-
Back