3.7 Dodge PCV system?

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone, hope all is well!
Ok, so my Jeep got Totalled in early Dec. LOVED my 4.0, at fault drivers insurance dragged their feet, had to get a truck at night...damn thing is Smoking! Supposed to be a 120,000 mile pull out replacement. NO pcv hooked up. Appears to have 2 nipples, on both heads, on the rear of both. Probed em with a wire... would that cause Smoking? Also, fit an EGR code... I CANNOT find a damn egr at the exhaust. Any ideas? I put new plugs in when I got it, not thinking to do a comp test.. damn lol. Lil sucker runs Great though. Except the smoke. Bought it off a young man... he dropped the price ( without me asking, after, as I was test driving solo, my Gal was telling him what happened. I offered him what his asking price was, even tried to hand him a hundred, so he could get his Mom a Christmas gift. He said all he wanted was his money back. 07 Dakota.
Thanks, Y'all

I think you installed a 3.7 V6 into an 07 Dakota? and
I get that it's smoking, and I get that it has no PCV, but the rest is foreign to me.
But yeah without a working PCV system the engine will burn oil and stink and smoke. I don't know anything about a 3.7 but I do know that it has to somewhere somehow pull the blow-by out of the CC and burn it. Some engines substitute a continuous small-orifice purge in place of the automatic variable flow of the typical PCV.
If in fact the engine is building up pressure you gotta fix this before she starts blowing out seals or gaskets.

My Orlando has a constant-flow orifice, and if I install dyno oil it plugs up and burns oil especially in winter. Full synthetic keeps it clear.
Good luck
Thank You Brother! No Sir, I'm running Full Syn... the Truck has NO VISIBLE control of PCV. In other words it's wide open !

There is a PCV valve on these engines (I have a '08), it is located at the rear of left cylinder head. It screws into a fitting there.

A 3.7l should have a PCV valve in the oil filler housing, just where the housing gets skinny near the bottom there is a turn lock type PCV with a locking tang and a plastic hose coming out. The EGR valve is mounted at the top rear of the driver side cylinder head and the connector should be visible near the back of the intake.

Last edited:
A 2007 3.7l should have a PCV valve in the oil filler housing, just where the housing gets skinny near the bottom there is a turn lock type PCV with a locking tang and a plastic hose coming out. The EGR valve is mounted at the top rear of the driver side cylinder head and the connector should be visible near the back of the intake.
That's what makes me pretty sure this mill was switched to another year.....

Both locations were used at one time or another. You either have the large hard line from the PCV at the rear of left cylinder head going to the manifold, or the smaller line from oil filter housing mounted PCV. The EGR, if equipped is at the rear of the engine on the left side. The metal tube from the intake upper plenum connects to it. If the engine installed was not equipped with it (some do not have them), you will have that fault code present all the time.

If there's nothing in it then you should have the metal thread in style that 66wgn440 had mentioned.
All I see is a nipple on the rear of each head. The egr coming out of the intake is blocked, and after crawling around with a flashlight, I cannot find where it goes to the exhaust

Both locations were used at one time or another. You either have the large hard line from the PCV at the rear of left cylinder head going to the manifold, or the smaller line from oil filter housing mounted PCV. The EGR, if equipped is at the rear of the engine on the left side. The metal tube from the intake upper plenum connects to it. If the engine installed was not equipped with it (some do not have them), you will have that fault code present all the time.
Have an Egr fault code, for sure!

Here are some pics. I really Appreciate Everyone that has taken the time.to reply

20220222_133226.jpg

20220222_133221.jpg

20220222_133206.jpg

I cannot find where it goes to the exhaust
That EGR system has its own ex. passage cast into the cylinder head. If equipped it would bolt down at the top rear of the head.

this is your EGR valve connector just hanging out in the open, normally it would plug onto the EGR valve just behind that last coil in the pic.
egr.JPG

Hate to say it but its looking like someone possibly installed a non EGR engine, you would have to be able to look down behind the intake at the top of the head, there may be a trapezoidal shaped block off plate with 2 bolts for the ex. passage, or there could just be a trapezoidal shaped pad cast into the head that was never machined out (non EGR head).

PCV system could be a similar story, there appear to be a lot of hoses and lines bypassed/blocked off. Someone may have mix and matched whatever they could.

Is that open nipple spitting out oil when running?

Can you run those nipples to a hose to the air cleaner duct? Would prevent the smoke from being visible. Would have to be before the TB or it would be a vacuum leak. Just run a hose from each and zip tie them into the air cleaner Intake area.. they will smoke most at speed and the TB is open to suck all that smoke in. The PCM is smart enough to figure out that the oxygen is less now and will alter the injector duty cycle to keep it clean.

Is that open nipple spitting out oil when running?[/QUOTE]
Not that I can tell, I have pushed a screw driver in it. Seems open, and pulls no Vac

Can you run those nipples to a hose to the air cleaner duct? Would prevent the smoke from being visible. Would have to be before the TB or it would be a vacuum leak. Just run a hose from each and zip tie them into the air cleaner Intake area.. they will smoke most at speed and the TB is open to suck all that smoke in. The PCM is smart enough to figure out that the oxygen is less now and will alter the injector duty cycle to keep it clean.
It's smoking out the tail pipe.. It's against damn near every thing I stand for. I do Love our Environment. I care about being a good Steward, and this sucks... she's a pig too. Sucks gas. I should have held out and got a late 90s Ram... so You are saying, that if I run the hoses as described, that will relieve the exhaust Situation?

no I thought it was blow by smoke. But a lack of PCV could cause the rings not to seal properly. Its a hunch but guys who run vacuum evac systems say ring sealing is improved. Throw some "no smoke" motor honey in there and see what happens. Maybe a sea foam treatment. I think the 3.7 was a huge coke monster....ie. lack of PCV really gunked up the heads. Pull a cover and check it out.

Throw some "no smoke" motor honey in there and see what happens. Maybe a sea foam treatment. I think the 3.7 was a huge coke monster....ie. lack of PCV really gunked up the heads. Pull a cover and check it out.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Phista! All Y'all are Awesome People. I think n the PO used some snake oil, also! Lol

-
Back