3.9 high-stall converter behind a 318?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting an A500 from an '89 V6 Dakota behind a mild (.444 lift cam, 4 bbl, otherwise stock) 318. The converter from the truck has a "hi stall" sticker on it, but I haven't been able to find any specs on just how high. A few places I've looked list some converters as common between a 3.9 and 5.2, but I'm not sure if that applies to the one I've got. This is going in a '64 Barracuda, with a 3.73 rear gear and 26"+/- tire... so I'm thinking with a 2.74 first gear, there shouldn't be any problem getting it moving. Before I take this in for a cut & clean, does anyone foresee any problems with using it? TIA, Karlin.

Stock is "around" 1200-1500 and hi stall is always about 1K about that. It's all combo dependent though. Put a nitro big block in front of it and it'll stall MUCH higher, right before it rips the converter apart.

It gonna stall a hair more than it did behind a 6, that's about it.

As for factory H S /green sticker convertors...dont get too excited... it's not gonna feel much over stock.

Last edited:
It gonna stall a hair more tha it did behind a 6, that's about it.

As for factory H S /green sticker convertors...dont get too excited... it's not gonna feel much over stock.

What he said. You'll never notice that extra 1k, IF it got that much.......and it probably won't. lol

Stock is "around" 1200-1500 and hi stall is always about 1K about that. It's all combo dependent though. Put a nitro big block in front of it and it'll stall MUCH higher, right before it rips the converter apart.

It varies, I always saw 1100 -1200. Not that 1200-1500 is far off. Right. Lol
I can get one in town, built that's do 2600-2800 for 190.00 if I wanted a stock street stall convertor. Spend 800 and that's another way to skin it.

I didn't realize there was that much difference between a regular and a high stall. I'm sure there will be an increase in HP/torque between the 3.9 and my 318, but how much, and how (if?) it will affect the stall, is obviuosly just a guess on my part.

I didn't realize there was that much difference between a regular and a high stall. I'm sure there will be an increase in HP/torque between the 3.9 and my 318, but how much, and how (if?) it will affect the stall, is obviuosly just a guess on my part.
More torque...more stall.. to a point.

I'm fine with it being close to stock, I'd actually prefer it. This will be the wife's car (if it ever gets done), and the more driveable it is, the happier she'll be. Sedate is actually my goal on this one.

I'm fine with it being close to stock, I'd actually prefer it. This will be the wife's car (if it ever gets done), and the more driveable it is, the happier she'll be. Sedate is actually my goal on this one.
Well then... I'm surprised your question wasn't "is Factory High stall too much?" Lol

She's gonna love it.

Well then... I'm surprised your question wasn't "is Factory High stall too much?" Lol

She's gonna love it.
Well, you aren't wrong, that was really my biggest concern. My math says RPMs will be a hair over 2k at 60, so I'm thinking having the stall speed below that would be a good thing. Less heat generated, etc? It's a lockup T/C, but I'll have to dial in the manual control of it (no computer).

Last edited:
Well, you aren't wrong, that was really my biggest concern. My math says RPMs will be a hair over 2k at 60, so I'm thinking having the stall speed below that would be a good thing. Less heat generated, etc? It's a lockup T/C, but I'll have to dial in the manual control of it (no computer).

Toggle to ground or speed sensor, is what would do it

Just a couple of things I noted when I put one behind my 5.9

First gear is a lower ratio in the A500, than a 904 and the stall is probably going to be in the 15-1600 range behind the 318.
That will give a 318 some decent jump off the line.
If the A500 you plan on using is a pre 1996 I can show you how to build and automatic shifting setup for OD and lockup by using the governor output pressure and adjustable pressure switches.

Mine shifts into OD at 60mph and lockup at 70 completely automatic, or I can shut off either or both manually if I wish.
Adjustable switches means I can set the speeds I want OD and/or lockup to come on and go off at.
Hiway speed limits around here are 45-65 and 75, so 1-2-3 only in the 45 zones, OD at 60 in the 65 zones, and lockup at 70 in the 75 zones.
The 5mph difference on each is to minimize hunting back and forth between gears.
I generally do about 80-85 in the 75 zones at about 2,100rpms
That .67:1 OD adds in the neighborhood of 35-40% increase in fuel economy as well.
I was getting around 17mpg on the hiway with my stock 318, and I get right at 25mpg on the hiway now with a mild built 5.9 Magnum and the OD.
Also these transmissions cool really well in OD with lockup engaged because of no converter slip or planetary gears spinning in the main case.

In stock form they are a little mushy just like the older stock TF transmissions, so I would highly recommend a TF2 Transgo kit be installed.

Last edited:
TB- Thankyou, I appreciate the offer, and I've read quite a few of your posts on how you set up your trans. I like the idea of adjustable switches, since I don't expect the 1 psi=1 mph standard to apply with the variables of rear gear ratio and tire size. I've even thought about buying a compushift mini as a controller, but at $350 they're a bit pricey. This car is still a long way from being done, but I do have a 518 that may find it's way into my Duster this winter.

fshd4it,
Stay tuned, I just acquired an A500 from a 92 2WD Dakota that lost reverse. I'm in the process of tearing into it soon. Then I'll eventually swap it into my Duster with a hopped up 360.
I currently have a Non-LU A999 (3.21 rear) in it now. (that I partially rebuilt and switched it to non-LU) Getting 16-17 freeway @65-70 mph. 10-12 around town.
I also have an A904 from the late 70's for spare parts.

I'll be picking Trailbeast's brains on the OD and lock-up switching bit once I get to it.

I know for sure my highway mileage will increase, Can't say the same for around town, although I think being gentle on the skinny pedal might "help" a little.
:steering:

-
Back